Zombie’s Ganja Garden of Happiness

• Thread starter Zombierider
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zombierider

Zombierider

Yes. The idea is that anything growing 6" or 7" below the canopy line won't get enough light to be productive and will only rob the energy needed to boost the canopy colas. Of course that measurement depends on how intense your light is. If you were running double ended HID's then you could probably keep a deeper canopy since HID tends to penetrate deeper into the canopy. When I worked at Jungle Boys in L.A. their policy was anything 12" below canopy got removed and every other fan leaf in the sweet zone got removed. They ran Gavita DE1000 Pro's in their bloom rooms.

The general rule when HID's were the standard lighting choice was to remove 2/3 of the bottom and leave the last 1/3 but with LED's they don't have the penetration power that HID lights do. That may have changed with new LED's but until I learn otherwise that is the general rule.

As far as PM, spores are probably already in your tent but because the girls are as healthy as they are and you have good ventilation it isn't giving them a chance to get a foothold. A dense canopy will give them the chance to hide from the ventilation and the added moisture from the protection of the canopy will promote the breeding grounds for PM to take hold and spread.

One of the things that was drilled into my head working at licensed grow ops was cleanliness and safety protocols. Maybe I'm being overly cautious but PM on my 6 plants is no big deal, more an annoyance than anything else, but when you have a room with 200 plants and they're all infected that is some serious cash that the owners are going to lose. That's why large grow ops are so anal about cleanliness. You and I can obsess over our plants and catch every little issue instantly because we have a limited amount of plants we have to monitor but, again, if even one of the Large Grow Op plants gets infected it's hard to catch it early and it will spread VERY quickly. A lot of grow ops like to do preventative care and spray down their crops regardless of whether they see anything or not. It just lowers the chances of their crops getting devastated by disease.
Hell yeah man I love it when people give in depth responses so we can actually learn shit, thanks for that!
I guess I'm dreaming if I think pm isn't in my tent. I also don't let people or pets in my room but even if your the most careful person on earth, they be coming in I guess the lil bastards lol.
I watched the Jungle Boys SOP video on YouTube and damn do they ever break it down. What are they spraying to prevent PM Regalia?
I also heard they rock their lights at 100% and bake the room with no ac on to kill any spores/pests.

Last edited:
Zombierider

Zombierider

One hundred percent right on! Home growers tend to allow animals in the grow area, even your animals can transfer spores. PW lives and thrives in the outdoors.
I’m manic about my grow, in that I shower and have on clean clothes before ever entering my grow room. My grow is as clean as a surgical suite. I also do not allow other growers in my room to gawk, they carry pathogens from their own environments. I never accept or take another’s clones into my grow as well.
All you have to do is get that scrounge one time and you will know the hell involved to get it stopped.
Great advice @RootsRuler !
I thought I was overdoing it with showering before going into the grow area, glad you also do that too lol. I even have a pair of crocs just for my grow area so I never track stuff in. And this friend of mine never comes in either!

20220519 1702042
Zombierider

Zombierider

looking good. now how often can defoliate during flowering mode? i keep worrying i am going to take to much off. i can see in this picture Zombie, that you cleaned all the way almost to top. does this only apply to scrog method?
Thanks man! I would listen to rootsruler and only defoliate whats needed during flowering. So go light, but if your not past week 3 of flower you can defoliate a bit. But really try and tuck leaves at that point, you can expose alot of bud sites just by tucking those leaves down and exposing the bud sites. You can take leaves off after 3 weeks but be very careful not to take too much, maybe like 6-10 leaves at most I would say. And only the leaves blocking budsites.

I cleanwd all the way up like that because i have so many cola sites at the scrog level that i dont really need any more from down below, so i only wanted the nearest colas and nothing be,ow like 4 inches below screen.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I thought I was overdoing it with showering before going into the grow area, glad you also do that too lol. I even have a pair of crocs just for my grow area so I never track stuff in. And this friend of mine never comes in either!
I keep a product called Trifecta on hand at all times. It’s organic and being thorough and following directions will knock that mess out before it even gets started. Best part, it’s all organic and smells like a big Greek salad!

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Well I couldn't take it anymore and the girls got a mega haircut. I went from using the scissors to just snapping off the leaves by hand. I have gotten used to pruning without the scissors with my tomato plants and it makes things go A LOT QUICKER. I still have to use the scissors for the lollipop of some of the branches though as ya gotta snip the thick branches.

I figure one more defoliation a couple weeks into flower will be enough for me to try and replicate my last/1st grow. Was actually quite cathartic to lollipop the bejeezus out of em. The White Widow needed it bad. From now on I'm for sure gonna defoliate a bit more aggressively below canopy during veg. I guess taking a couple leaves every couple days won't stress them too bad. Trying to fine tune what I did last grow and defoliation is one of them I gotta work on. I'm also increasing the PPMs cuz I think I have the beginnings of a potassium def, which will sort itself out with the bloom nutes I think, but I feel the afghan can take more ppm and the white widow shouldn't mind. Flipping in about 4 days.

Also, this album is definitely love it or hate it, but for those weirdos like me who like this obscure doom metal genre, this tune is a good one and accompanied my lollipopping session aforementioned. 🌿 💨 🌿 💨

Omg. I can't even talk to you right now 😶‍🌫️
😒

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Yes. The idea is that anything growing 6" or 7" below the canopy line won't get enough light to be productive and will only rob the energy needed to boost the canopy colas. Of course that measurement depends on how intense your light is. If you were running double ended HID's then you could probably keep a deeper canopy since HID tends to penetrate deeper into the canopy. When I worked at Jungle Boys in L.A. their policy was anything 12" below canopy got removed and every other fan leaf in the sweet zone got removed. They ran Gavita DE1000 Pro's in their bloom rooms.

The general rule when HID's were the standard lighting choice was to remove 2/3 of the bottom and leave the last 1/3 but with LED's they don't have the penetration power that HID lights do. That may have changed with new LED's but until I learn otherwise that is the general rule.

As far as PM, spores are probably already in your tent but because the girls are as healthy as they are and you have good ventilation it isn't giving them a chance to get a foothold. A dense canopy will give them the chance to hide from the ventilation and the added moisture from the protection of the canopy will promote the breeding grounds for PM to take hold and spread.

One of the things that was drilled into my head working at licensed grow ops was cleanliness and safety protocols. Maybe I'm being overly cautious but PM on my 6 plants is no big deal, more an annoyance than anything else, but when you have a room with 200 plants and they're all infected that is some serious cash that the owners are going to lose. That's why large grow ops are so anal about cleanliness. You and I can obsess over our plants and catch every little issue instantly because we have a limited amount of plants we have to monitor but, again, if even one of the Large Grow Op plants gets infected it's hard to catch it early and it will spread VERY quickly. A lot of grow ops like to do preventative care and spray down their crops regardless of whether they see anything or not. It just lowers the chances of their crops getting devastated by disease.
You had me at Jungle Boys. Almost ran one of their strains my 1st run but the beans were too pricey 😂

I think we all hit the jackpot with crossin paths with ya bud. You been around town and back no doubt. You remind me a lot of a quote from Shawshank "I guess it comes down to a simple choice really...Get busy living or get busy dying". I always feel grateful in the presence of those whom truly live life. Appreciate you sharing your past and future with us as well as all the knowledge bombs 💪

Last edited:
Neueregel

Neueregel

Yes but be judicious. You don't want to remove too many leaves. Leaves are reservoirs for your flowers to pull nutrition from if it's not getting it from the root structure. If it's a fan leaf and it's in the way of a bud site or flower then you can decide if you want to remove it or just move it out of the way.
ok. thanks for the feedback. i knew i shouldn't remove all. i just wasn't sure how many lol

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

You had me at Jungle Boys. Almost ran one of their strains my 1st run but the beans were too pricey 😂

I think we all hit the jackpot with crossin paths with ya bud. You been around town and back no doubt. You remind me a lot of a quote from Shawshank "I guess it comes down to a simple choice really...Get busy living or get busy dying". I always feel grateful in the presence of those whom truly living life. Appreciate you sharing your past and future with us as well as all the knowledge bombs 💪
Before I get annointed as the Lion King😉 please take ALL information you read on the internet with a grain of salt, mine included! Fact check what you read and use common sense. Of course there are those that, through experience of their responses, you can establish a level of trust. In my mind that would be members on here like Moe.Red, Aqua Man, Tobh, GNick55, etc. These guys have a vast pool of knowledge not just in growing itself but all the variables that can affect it. My experience lies more in larger industrial grow environments but much of it can be used in a smaller environment. Check before you implement and even then......common sense should be what rules your decision outside of what all us "experts" are telling you.

WAY to many keyboard heroes that think they know it all. I'm still a student and will never know enough, in my view, to be able to be able to claim that I'm the top dog when it comes to growing. I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time to be able to take advantage of a skill that I learned early on. While I can say that I have had the good fortune of being able to pick the brains of some of the top growers in California I still have a lot to go in regards to growing weed and all the nuances that go into it.

Some have complained that I'm a bit long winded(I am!😊) but I prefer too much information to not enough. I'm somewhat mechanically minded so I like it when it gets broken down to me in fine detail. That allows me to take all the pieces that were presented to me and use what is useful for my intended purpose along with exposing me to other variables that the other pieces may be relevant to. It just really gives me the flexibility to be able to make decisions without having to rely on other peoples good faith "opinions".

One of the things I tell novice growers is to learn general plant biology. That alone will answer 90% of the questions you may have. The other 10% is what this forum is all about!

Zombierider

Zombierider

It’s safe for up to two weeks prior to harvest, no rinsing and the ladies actually groove on it! Just make sure you do it around lights out.
Heck yes I will give it a try! Im not playing games with these pests! Its game over man! lol

Zombierider

Zombierider

Before I get annointed as the Lion King😉 please take ALL information you read on the internet with a grain of salt, mine included! Fact check what you read and use common sense. Of course there are those that, through experience of their responses, you can establish a level of trust. In my mind that would be members on here like Moe.Red, Aqua Man, Tobh, GNick55, etc. These guys have a vast pool of knowledge not just in growing itself but all the variables that can affect it. My experience lies more in larger industrial grow environments but much of it can be used in a smaller environment. Check before you implement and even then......common sense should be what rules your decision outside of what all us "experts" are telling you.

WAY to many keyboard heroes that think they know it all. I'm still a student and will never know enough, in my view, to be able to be able to claim that I'm the top dog when it comes to growing. I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time to be able to take advantage of a skill that I learned early on. While I can say that I have had the good fortune of being able to pick the brains of some of the top growers in California I still have a lot to go in regards to growing weed and all the nuances that go into it.

Some have complained that I'm a bit long winded(I am!😊) but I prefer too much information to not enough. I'm somewhat mechanically minded so I like it when it gets broken down to me in fine detail. That allows me to take all the pieces that were presented to me and use what is useful for my intended purpose along with exposing me to other variables that the other pieces may be relevant to. It just really gives me the flexibility to be able to make decisions without having to rely on other peoples good faith "opinions".

One of the things I tell novice growers is to learn general plant biology. That alone will answer 90% of the questions you may have. The other 10% is what this forum is all about!
I agree wholeheartedly with your statements there, I like taking everyone's opinions, do my own research, and eventually decide which to follow. Plant biology for sure, can you recommend any literature on plant biology?

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

lol cuz of the music? I know its not to everyones flavor profiles but iiwii
Nawwww man, you lookin at my guy all wrong. Do it again I stab ya in the neck with a soldering iron ~ Walken from Joe Dirt

Of course not brotha. I bang heads here and there for sure and listened to that jam. My not talking to you has to do with your grow once again going from "ooO hey yall just sprouted a few more young ladies" and then I blink and you can't even defoliate enough if you wanted because they blew up so fast it is no wonder you had double my harvest last grow 😂 1.5g/per/wt 🧐 wtf is that shit maine! You have growth on growth on top of more growth. I don't even know wtf I'm lookin at exactly 🤣

Took me about 9 seconds to find the right vibe for meow

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I keep a product called Trifecta on hand at all times. It’s organic and being thorough and following directions will knock that mess out before it even gets started. Best part, it’s all organic and smells like a big Greek salad!

I've been reading the spec sheet for this product. I like using Azamax for pest and disease prevention and control but this looks like some good stuff.

What is your experience with this product? Pro's and Cons?

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I agree wholeheartedly with your statements there, I like taking everyone's opinions, do my own research, and eventually decide which to follow. Plant biology for sure, can you recommend any literature on plant biology?
This is for kids but breaks it down real nice and real understandable. Don't be shy about clicking on some of the other subject links on that page.

This is also a good primer for plant biology.

Just google basic plant biology and you'll have a plethora of information come up. Learn this well and you'll be ahead of the game when it comes to weed growers! Most have no idea how a plant works. They just know that if they give it water and light it'll get them high! LOL!

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I've been reading the spec sheet for this product. I like using Azamax for pest and disease prevention and control but this looks like some good stuff.

What is your experience with this product? Pro's and Cons?
I found out about this stuff when desperately seeking a cure to PM. I had been the gambit at that point. Everything from milk to sulfur and was desperate. Room had been torn down fans every single thing cleaned seven times at that point.
I bought the four ounce size, mixed according to instructions, read extra treatment protocols and off I went.
Within two treatments I was amazed.
Having cleaned everything in the room including some very specific instructions about tent cleaning and wetting my ladies down, for the first time within three days the mold was not resurfacing. It totally kicked PM’s behind! I also noticed that the ladies actually seemed to like the stuff as well.
Having only used it for PM, the only con to it, make sure to spray prior to lights out. The manufacturer suggested first thing when it was lights on or just before lights out. I did lights on and a few drops were magnified and made tiny burn spots. After that I did it at lights out and never had a prob.
I totally dig that I was not spraying with some harsh chemical and that it was of no danger to me, yet extremely effective.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I found out about this stuff when desperately seeking a cure to PM. I had been the gambit at that point. Everything from milk to sulfur and was desperate. Room had been torn down fans every single thing cleaned seven times at that point.
I bought the four ounce size, mixed according to instructions, read extra treatment protocols and off I went.
Within two treatments I was amazed.
Having cleaned everything in the room including some very specific instructions about tent cleaning and wetting my ladies down, for the first time within three days the mold was not resurfacing. It totally kicked PM’s behind! I also noticed that the ladies actually seemed to like the stuff as well.
Having only used it for PM, the only con to it, make sure to spray prior to lights out. The manufacturer suggested first thing when it was lights on or just before lights out. I did lights on and a few drops were magnified and made tiny burn spots. After that I did it at lights out and never had a prob.
I totally dig that I was not spraying with some harsh chemical and that it was of no danger to me, yet extremely effective.
How did you apply? With spray bottle? Hudson Sprayer? I assume plant application is like all others where you need to cover the entire plant, top and bottom, with it?

Zombierider

Zombierider

Nawwww man, you lookin at my guy all wrong. Do it again I stab ya in the neck with a soldering iron ~ Walken from Joe Dirt

Of course not brotha. I bang heads here and there for sure and listened to that jam. My not talking to you has to do with your grow once again going from "ooO hey yall just sprouted a few more young ladies" and then I blink and you can't even defoliate enough if you wanted because they blew up so fast it is no wonder you had double my harvest last grow 😂 1.5g/per/wt 🧐 wtf is that shit maine! You have growth on growth on top of more growth. I don't even know wtf I'm lookin at exactly 🤣

Took me about 9 seconds to find the right vibe for meow

Hell yeah bro i have this song downloaded, its one of my favorites, sick beats! Thanks for the motivation, and i knew you were throwing out some sarcasm. My grow is going good so far and its helps to do a journal cuz it is forcing me to not mess up or you all are gonna give me hell haha. I actually named my plants this round, the white widow is medusa and the fire afghan cookies in boudica cuz she a bad biyatcheroni lol.

Top Bottom