Epic Pheno Hunt in my 2x4! Help Growmies!

• Thread starter SpectacularG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

Honestly, id forget all about that bullshit. Would buy you a decent ph and ec pen, take your canna a/b and calmag, and focus on getting the house in order (environment). Get some full jars and then experiment. Im not gonna tell you that all that is useless, it has its place. But all that in the hands of a new grower who wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a magnesium deficiency or nitrogen deficiency is useless. You can grow bangers with those few items i mentioned, i promise you. At the end of the day influencers need to make new content to keep people watching, so they fix problems that dont exist. Companies stay in business by selling you more products.

And @Phyto is exactly right. Organic coco is difficult to do as a new grower. You have to get a handle on dryback or your microbes will die. Mr canuck makes it look easy, hes an experienced grower. But if you use coco as its intended you will beat his yields by simply following a chart and monitoring ec/ph and runoff
Solid advice from Stokes. I can appreciate your excitement and eagerness but I'm going to suggest you start a little slower with your nute line. I think you'll get really confused when things go a little wonky. There will be so many variables on what is causing a setback that it will be hard to determine. Just my opinion but I'm all in to watch your experience! good luck

orggrwr

orggrwr

Nice start but don't lose sight of the fact that plants are living things and not machines. They will respond differently to the same input even though they are the same strain. Good luck, watching this grow with interest.

H

HomeGrownOhio

I remember when I first started growing, the grift is still the same, get a lot of people who are desperate to grow great smoke, who aren't sure how...to buy all the "new" hyped products they can, to do it without the actual research, due diligence and trial and error needed to grow good medicine. I started to fall for some of it in the beginning of my journey too, but after about a year of trial and error, I narrowed down the necessities to light, water, environment, good NPK ratios, some micronutrients like greensand, D.E. and lots of love and attention. Same things you would need to grow fantastic tomatoes and peppers! Products? after researching a lot and some trial and error, I found those products all over my property for free! And gardening techniques that were learned along the way came from ancient knowledge read about, not from some company, they, would rather hide the info. BUT I do understand the allure of quick returns without the investment of time and due diligence. Especially with the younger crowd. The allure is nice and shiny, but the reality is you can grow really great stuff with very little help from Big Business. All you need to do is be attentive to your plants, and they will tell you what they need. A lot of the bloom boosters and such, if you really want them, can be made right in your back yard. Many of you seasoned guys already know this, but a lot more of us need to understand that the only real valuable thing available online, is information. Free information at that. And definitely stock (Trustfall, your Triangle crosses have my attention, you will be hearing from me in the future for sure) All of us here do what works for us. It may not work for your neighbor, but it does for you, that's also something that differs among us. Spreading this knowledge with each other, should keep us pretty informed on the actual science, while sussing out all the "bro-science", B.S. I'm not knocking growing products either, just that for the new grower, they tend to get sucked into the machine, instead of doing their own work first and understanding the plant. I hate to see that. There is no real need for most of those products at all. They are redundant. But the uninformed don't know that. Because, the machine is capitalism, not agriculture. And the machine wants you to believe that you need it to do this. You absolutely don't. My gosh! they even build boxes that purport to be able to grow your cannabis for you, with zero input from you. Just let your inconspicuous Ikea cabinet, complete with grow light, fan and feeding tubes, just sit and hum in the corner looking good. Can you imagine how lifeless, how soulless that method would be? That would bring no health or happiness to my life at all. In fact, that sounds like desperation to have...but not to work for. In my opinion, that isn't good. BUT that's me. What I love about these boards and this forum and all of you, is that we have love for the plant, the processes and nature. I love looking in on your grows (never shared mine, and probably never will) and reading your methods and seeing your setups. I'm kind of new to the boards and am not much for butting in, but just wanted to put in my thoughts. I've been growing for a good while now, but still learn something new all the time. It's the real people out here doing it that creates the quality and direction this goes in. It's never gonna be drama free, I'm sure. Life isn't. Thanks for having me aboard. And Hey, from what I've seen of your grows, you guys do tremendously well. Keep up the good work! My advice would only be, become as self sustaining as possible to grow this plant. The benefits will surpass your expectations, I promise. Many of you already know this :)

SpectacularG

SpectacularG

I remember when I first started growing, the grift is still the same, get a lot of people who are desperate to grow great smoke, who aren't sure how...to buy all the "new" hyped products they can, to do it without the actual research, due diligence and trial and error needed to grow good medicine. I started to fall for some of it in the beginning of my journey too, but after about a year of trial and error, I narrowed down the necessities to light, water, environment, good NPK ratios, some micronutrients like greensand, D.E. and lots of love and attention. Same things you would need to grow fantastic tomatoes and peppers! Products? after researching a lot and some trial and error, I found those products all over my property for free! And gardening techniques that were learned along the way came from ancient knowledge read about, not from some company, they, would rather hide the info. BUT I do understand the allure of quick returns without the investment of time and due diligence. Especially with the younger crowd. The allure is nice and shiny, but the reality is you can grow really great stuff with very little help from Big Business. All you need to do is be attentive to your plants, and they will tell you what they need. A lot of the bloom boosters and such, if you really want them, can be made right in your back yard. Many of you seasoned guys already know this, but a lot more of us need to understand that the only real valuable thing available online, is information. Free information at that. And definitely stock (Trustfall, your Triangle crosses have my attention, you will be hearing from me in the future for sure) All of us here do what works for us. It may not work for your neighbor, but it does for you, that's also something that differs among us. Spreading this knowledge with each other, should keep us pretty informed on the actual science, while sussing out all the "bro-science", B.S. I'm not knocking growing products either, just that for the new grower, they tend to get sucked into the machine, instead of doing their own work first and understanding the plant. I hate to see that. There is no real need for most of those products at all. They are redundant. But the uninformed don't know that. Because, the machine is capitalism, not agriculture. And the machine wants you to believe that you need it to do this. You absolutely don't. My gosh! they even build boxes that purport to be able to grow your cannabis for you, with zero input from you. Just let your inconspicuous Ikea cabinet, complete with grow light, fan and feeding tubes, just sit and hum in the corner looking good. Can you imagine how lifeless, how soulless that method would be? That would bring no health or happiness to my life at all. In fact, that sounds like desperation to have...but not to work for. In my opinion, that isn't good. BUT that's me. What I love about these boards and this forum and all of you, is that we have love for the plant, the processes and nature. I love looking in on your grows (never shared mine, and probably never will) and reading your methods and seeing your setups. I'm kind of new to the boards and am not much for butting in, but just wanted to put in my thoughts. I've been growing for a good while now, but still learn something new all the time. It's the real people out here doing it that creates the quality and direction this goes in. It's never gonna be drama free, I'm sure. Life isn't. Thanks for having me aboard. And Hey, from what I've seen of your grows, you guys do tremendously well. Keep up the good work! My advice would only be, become as self sustaining as possible to grow this plant. The benefits will surpass your expectations, I promise. Many of you already know this :)
Respect!

SpectacularG

SpectacularG

Solid advice from Stokes. I can appreciate your excitement and eagerness but I'm going to suggest you start a little slower with your nute line. I think you'll get really confused when things go a little wonky. There will be so many variables on what is causing a setback that it will be hard to determine. Just my opinion but I'm all in to watch your experience! good luck
Yes I did some research and lowered a bit, in a few days i will post the chart once its time to feed so i can show you the ec and ppm aswell!

SpectacularG

SpectacularG

Soil is mixed, I used 50L or 1.8cubic feet of motherearth coco perlite 70-30, 10 quarts/12lbs of brut worm castings, 2 quarts of vermiculite, 3 handfuls of pistachio biochar, 5 teaspoons of azomite micronized, wetted everything with 1.5 gal of water at 6.2 ph with 5gr myco, 1ml superthrive and 0.5ml of mammoth p and 2gr of recharge to start colonizing the medium, which also feels very light and areated. Let s have it rest for a few days now.

IMG FACBDC478FB0 1
IMG A83D3C40FE93 1

SpectacularG

SpectacularG

Is this a start of powdery mildew?
I ve had rh high in mid seventies so far, I turned it down to 67%, should i spray thess 2-4 seedlings with grower s ally s fungicide today?

IMG 7017
IMG B291A5F96876 1

SpectacularG

SpectacularG

Major update hopefully not last one!

5 days ago I transplanted the cuties into some 5.5x.5.5 inch 2.3 quarts pots and left for a trip. Since I knew they wouldn't be watered for 5 days I added about 10lbs of worm castings in the transplant soil to give it more water retaining capacities. So eventually the soil is made from 50L coco perlite bag 70-30, about 25 lbs of worm castings, 3 quarts of vermiculite, handful of azomite and handful of biochar, and after transplant I put vermiculite on top because its inorganic matter and gnats and insects don't lay eggs in there. I will water tomorrow with some medium feedings mostly on the sides of the pots as all the plants don't look thirsty yet.

Now a challenge has appeared there is some weird mutations and after lots of research I believe it could be a virus, probably TMV tobacco mosaic virus.
Its very unlikely its some kind of bug because before transplant I sprayed the tent with Grower's Ally fungicide, mite spray, and a 3 in 1 organic pesticide, also today I sprayed with those 3 plus a neem oil spray.
After transplant I watered everything with Clonex nutrient solution 1-0.6-1 at 15ml/gallon. All pots are between 5.6 and 5.8ph

About 15 of em also starting to curl leaves from the middle sideways. They received plenty of direct air circulation on low like 6 minute on on lvl 1 and 4 minutes off to prevent any powdery mildew but its not the ones necessarily directly in the fan pattern.

I am no virologist of course but its really hard to even find pictures of something like this its pretty uncommon so yeah I am left with TMV or environmental issues/ph fluctuations. Honestly it was the first time I left them and I forgot that the house ac would go into standby so for 5 days the environment fluctuated a bit but not too extreme. Temperatures 70min 84 max with 78 average and humidity for the first 3 days was at 1.0 vpd and after the ac infinity humidifier ran out I had the spider farmer keeping constant rh at 60% for the last 2 days, last 24h he ran out too so they stayed at around 45% but at that point I fixed from my phone the house Ac so vpd never surpassed 1.4-1.5 which is high for seedlings but not extreme.

It could also be ph too low since there is a high percentage of worm castings that gives it soil like properties, I will water tomorrow at 6.15ph

Please let me know what you guys think I believe this to be the best place to get some answers.

IMG 7091

IMG 7089
IMG 7090
IMG 7092
IMG 7093

SpectacularG

SpectacularG

You have bugs. Look at the tiny white dots.
What kind could it be? I see some similarities with thrips but i couldn't tell you. I looked briefly with the jeweler lens one a couple plants but could't see much I'll recheck soon.

BB22

BB22

Not sure what kind. I recently had a similar issue. DE, ISO/Water on the plant before lights out and sticky traps helped me. Good luck

Stokes

Stokes

Being that its so many of them i’d say they didnt like the sprays or they dont like the medium. I hate straight coco in an organic run, i dont see the point. Its too difficult to tame, i couldnt imagine trying it as a new grower, i would have admittedly failed. I dont think its bugs. I think you’re doing too much, feeding too much. Spraying too much. All the plants are doing right now is digging their toes in, you have to let them do that.

SpectacularG

SpectacularG

Being that its so many of them i’d say they didnt like the sprays or they dont like the medium. I hate straight coco in an organic run, i dont see the point. Its too difficult to tame, i couldnt imagine trying it as a new grower, i would have admittedly failed. I dont think its bugs. I think you’re doing too much, feeding too much. Spraying too much. All the plants are doing right now is digging their toes in, you have to let them do that.
I am guilty of spraying them a few times like 3 and during lights on, I really hope it's just that

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

a few mutant per large batch of seeds is something rather common.

some small leaf mutation like discoloration and/or malformation here and there are also something rather common.

Top Bottom