Your plants in VEG! Veg plant photo, cloning discussion , share your pre flower prep!

• Thread starter Mikedin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
How many times should you top off a plant? It's not just once? I'm new. 😯
At the end of the day it’s about how you want the plant structure to be for your grow, I prefer scrog so I’ll top maybe 2-3 rounds then let the nodes fill in the nets like this below
I gave these 3 rounds of topping

The pic below that is of a 4ish week old seedling about a week after it’s first topping you can see the split growth at the top, if I were to re-top I’d wat for 2-3 nodes to grow off each of those then I’d top all the top sites on the plant, all the lowers coming up etc, but kind you this adds time to your veg time plants need to recover, resume growth etc it’s not too much time but if 1-2-3 weeks are a major difference for you at the end I’d stick with the LST, other methods take longer but it’s up to the grower how many cycles you want to do of topping

@JKash did a 32 top mainline run very recently all documented on here

But some prefer natural shaped like a Christmas tree or natural bush depending on the genetics

If it’s your first run I’d suggest sticking to the basics, learn the growth pattern, feeding patterns, learn when to see the plant is showing sex etc etc, look up LST (low stress training) a lot of people stick with that, great way to maximize plant size and space with little stress to the plants.

IMG 4341
IMG 4339
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
My guess is that it will shoot those branches out with the quickness now! According to Kushman, it’s possible those branches will have wider node spacing as a result, but who knows!!??
Yes it’s possible, but not a problem, these will most likely be flowered and I’ll clone off for next runs mothers are awesome but take up space, so I’ll probably do generational clones like the cali blues clone in the back is 3rd generation we’ll see if it loses anything but I believe I should be good for a decent amount of rounds

Each plant had 8 fan leaves taking up more space than the plant themselves lol, but I was goin for the method schwifty did figure I’d give it a shot and see what happens I wanna get a clone off these girls in the next week or 2 I’m week 6 on the current run heading into 7 on Monday so I’m just about ready to have some decent bushes to put in and veg out

Rama777

Rama777

No but I have seen people use it successfully I was gunna look into the benefits
The wetting agent in pro-mix is the one thing that throws it off from being organic. Yucca would probably be a good alternative. Not sure if it’s possible to get compressed bales of peat moss sans “wetting agent” though..

Last edited:
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
The wetting agent in pro-mix is the one thing that throws it off from being organic. Yucca would probably be a good alternative. Not sure if it’s possible to get compressed bales of peat moss sans “wetting agent” though..
Depends on the type of promix some use a yucca based wetting agent some use a chemical based. I’m ok with both as far as that goes everything else is good

IMG 4428
TreeBee

TreeBee

i plan on removing the lower branches on this plant but I am wondering about the optimal time to do it. On one hand those branches are pulling in energy but they are also consuming it so when should I take them off?

20240516 072442
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
i plan on removing the lower branches on this plant but I am wondering about the optimal time to do it. On one hand those branches are pulling in energy but they are also consuming it so when should I take them off?
Have any more pics of her maybe down at ground level so we can see where what nodes you have where, is there a reason you want to remove them opposed to letting them try to catch up to the top cola?

Looking at her I’d imagine you topped her 2 or so weeks ago, if you top those 2 top sites again it’ll give those lowers enough time to catch up to the tops but being outdoors I’m not sure of the timing of how that would affect your veg to harvest time but I think it’s be fine as it’s early growth and super early spring it’ll fill in super quick

TreeBee

TreeBee

Have any more pics of her maybe down at ground level so we can see where what nodes you have where, is there a reason you want to remove them opposed to letting them try to catch up to the top cola?
I have already topped once between the 5th and 6th node. Currently side branches from 3,4,5th node are there. I was going to take them off the 3rd because they are really close to the ground and I plan on topping and training so they maybe too close to the ground.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

At the end of the day it’s about how you want the plant structure to be for your grow, I prefer scrog so I’ll top maybe 2-3 rounds then let the nodes fill in the nets like this below
I gave these 3 rounds of topping

The pic below that is of a 4ish week old seedling about a week after it’s first topping you can see the split growth at the top, if I were to re-top I’d wat for 2-3 nodes to grow off each of those then I’d top all the top sites on the plant, all the lowers coming up etc, but kind you this adds time to your veg time plants need to recover, resume growth etc it’s not too much time but if 1-2-3 weeks are a major difference for you at the end I’d stick with the LST, other methods take longer but it’s up to the grower how many cycles you want to do of topping

@JKash did a 32 top mainline run very recently all documented on here

But some prefer natural shaped like a Christmas tree or natural bush depending on the genetics

If it’s your first run I’d suggest sticking to the basics, learn the growth pattern, feeding patterns, learn when to see the plant is showing sex etc etc, look up LST (low stress training) a lot of people stick with that, great way to maximize plant size and space with little stress to the plants.
Thank you ! 👍

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I have already topped once between the 5th and 6th node. Currently side branches from 3,4,5th node are there. I was going to take them off the 3rd because they are really close to the ground and I plan on topping and training so they maybe too close to the ground.
Yeah if they are close to the ground you can pull em, it’s really up to you, I like to keep a good foot from soil to first branch only for ease of watering, outdoors keeping them up will help reduce and splash up of mud etc during any heavy rains, really more for hygiene Of the plant I guess, keep contaminants off the best as possible

If it wasn’t for those factors and a few more I’d run outdoor but knowing and being able to manipulate my environment as needed based on the plants needs plus being able to run light cycles that work around your schedule is great, and it makes the run more enjoyable for me personally.

B

Bdubs

Transplanted last night in semi dry soil. Watered right after transplant, 1 gallon. Watered again this morning 1gallon. Will water once more very very slowly to guarantee all is set in and moist. 10 gallon bags are heavy when wet. 😳 <—-soil noob

IMG 9542
Rama777

Rama777

C99 x White Truffle Bonsai - 7 months old

Pruned the shoots and shaved some roots and went up to a 3.5” pot from a 2.5” pot. Planted in Mikedin’s veg mix.
2D9787E1 C45B 4AD7 AB0D F19BFCCC9816

Rama777

Rama777

Transplanted last night in semi dry soil. Watered right after transplant, 1 gallon. Watered again this morning 1gallon. Will water once more very very slowly to guarantee all is set in and moist. 10 gallon bags are heavy when wet. 😳 <—-soil noob
Next time around, if you can, consider transplanting into smaller pots a couple more times before going into the final pots. You’ll get faster growth with much more room for error.

ChuckFinnl3y

ChuckFinnl3y

At which point do you guys usually uppot your clones from Cloner/water into Soil ?

Were just messing around with these and honestly didnt expected to get roots in the first place. started in Soil but changed to Water later one.

Pictures were taken while transfering from the 1st Water bottle withouth support to the one in the picture with clay pebbles.

IMG 20240521 195248
IMG 20240521 194955
IMG 20240521 195804
IMG 20240521 195732
Mothman

Mothman

10 gallon bags are heavy when wet. 😳 <—-soil noob
Yes they are! Fortunately I did the math first and realized that not just 10-gal but even a 7-gal saturated pot would be heavy AF and hard to maneuver for draining runoff, so I went with a 5-gal. It’s a step up from my usual 3-gal pots, which I could manhandle in and out of the tent for closer inspection.

Top Bottom