Clones dont root after diatomaceous earth treatment

• Thread starter zip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zip

My clones were rooting perfectly fine but after a DE treatment they stopped rooting goes over 2 weeks without roots.. the stem gets really thick like its about to explode but no roots pop out.. i covered the entire plant in DE alot got in the tupur also.. please help thanks

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Why did you add d.earth I thought that was only for bugs.

Hold up do you mean you covered the actual plant with d.earth.

As far as I know d.e should be added to the top soil ; kills bugs covering the actual plant may have messed it up you could try washing it off I may have clogged up the leaves mind. If you wash it off make sure you get all off, when de gets wet and then dries it goes kinda like concrete/cement

The de I used had a ph of 8 added to the medium it’s ok if you ph down however straight on the plant might have messed the ph up as well as clogging up the leaves leaving them unable to breath & hinder transportation

Last edited:
Z

zip

Yes i covered the actual plant to kill the thrips.. if that messed me up is there a way to fix it?? The new growth that i took the cutting had no more DE on it tho

Z

zip

Anotherthing i think it might be is too much DE went in the coco n its having a negative effect

Z

zip

Why did you add d.earth I thought that was only for bugs.

Hold up do you mean you covered the actual plant with d.earth.

As far as I know d.e should be added to the top soil ; kills bugs covering the actual plant may have messed it up you could try washing it off I may have clogged up the leaves mind. If you wash it off make sure you get all off, when de gets wet and then dries it goes kinda like concrete/cement

The de I used had a ph of 8 added to the medium it’s ok if you ph down however straight on the plant might have messed the ph up as well as clogging up the leaves leaving them unable to breath & hinder transportation
I used the new growth cuttings without DE on them u think it was still affected by the rest of the plant??

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Sorry it’s hard to figure what you did.

Are you saying the clones never had d.e on them only the mother plant had d.e on it

Z

zip

Sorry it’s hard to figure what you did.

Are you saying the clones never had d.e on them only the mother plant had d.e on it
Yes i got the cuts from the mothers that were covered in d.e the cuts were new growth that didnt have d.e on them

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
No not by the sounds of it unless it was a load of it then it might of effected the ph as your in coir and not soil however you do have to use a lot to change the ph. I don’t think you would of added enough for that to happen

Z

zip

No not by the sounds of it unless it was a load of it then it might of effected the ph as your in coir and not soil however you do have to use a lot to change the ph. I don’t think you would of added enough for that to happen
Thanks alot for the help

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Here's my guess: The DE clogged the stomata so the clones can't transpire well. That might explain the enlarged stem. The plant thus draws in water but can't transpire it. A solution might be to turn the plants upside down and wash the DE off the bottoms of the leaves.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
As far as I know, DE is best used for critters that crawl in the soil. It scratches their exoskeleton, so they lose internal moisture, dehydrate and die. I don't think it should be applied to the green parts of the plant.

Z

zip

Here's my guess: The DE clogged the stomata so the clones can't transpire well. That might explain the enlarged stem. The plant thus draws in water but can't transpire it. A solution might be to turn the plants upside down and wash the DE off the bottoms of the leaves.
Thanks the new growth from which i took the cuts didnt have de on them but i will try dunking them clean next time before i plugg it thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom