Drooping leaves and yellowing, Help!

• Thread starter benf2014
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

benf2014

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to this and this grow is shaping up to be my most successful so far but one of my plants isnt happy! I'm using FFOF soil, I follow the FF soil feeding schedule using FF nutrients. Growing indoors in a 3x3 tent in 5 gal fabric pots. All my plants (all different auto strains) are a litte over 4 weeks old at this point. I have 3 other plants that are doing great with no visible problems. I noticed this plant (Northern Lights Auto) getting droopy leaves all over and some yellow splotches on the lowest leaves 2 days ago. I figured it needed water as the pot was light and I hadn't watered in a few days. I also removed the yellowing leaves that were obviously about to die while watering. Now 2 days after a good watering the plant hasn't perked up, I think the leaves are drooping even more now and growth has slowed compared to the others. I'm thinking it may need to be flushed which I was planning to do to all of them later this week by following the feeding schedule. Does anyone know if this is the problem or what it might be?

Does anyone know the problem here
Does anyone know the problem here 2
Does anyone know the problem here 3
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Maybe you need to lay off the water for about a week and see if it starts coming back! Just two. Cents. Looks like you have room to dig your hand down in about 10 inches and see how wet the soil is.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hi.
Wish you had left the yellow leaves in place bud. Would have been nice to see them.

Your plant looks to be 3 weeks into flower. She is very dark green, almost nitrogen toxic green on my computer.
Tips are rolling down. Not hooking just a bit. This could also point towards a Nitrogen high state.
Do you PH your water and your fertilizer solutions? If so what are you running?
I'm really wondering if she is locked out on you due to over abundance of Nitrogen.

Stick your index finger deep into the medium mid way between the plant and the bag. Way down deep and see if it feels dry down deep inside.
Sometimes medium develop water channels that run water of rather than letting the medium soak the water up. The stems I can see are bent not standing straight up like a plants leaves and stems that is plump in an over watered state. This plant does not look over watered to me. I think your watering a little fast and your water is running down the inside of the bag and away. The plant could actually be dry.
I could be wrong but it won't hurt to check.

Give lock out a little thought and let me know what your thinking.
Anyone else think she may be locked out?

B

benf2014

Hi.
Wish you had left the yellow leaves in place bud. Would have been nice to see them.

Your plant looks to be 3 weeks into flower. She is very dark green, almost nitrogen toxic green on my computer.
Tips are rolling down. Not hooking just a bit. This could also point towards a Nitrogen high state.
Do you PH your water and your fertilizer solutions? If so what are you running?
I'm really wondering if she is locked out on you due to over abundance of Nitrogen.

Stick your index finger deep into the medium mid way between the plant and the bag. Way down deep and see if it feels dry down deep inside.
Sometimes medium develop water channels that run water of rather than letting the medium soak the water up. The stems I can see are bent not standing straight up like a plants leaves and stems that is plump in an over watered state. This plant does not look over watered to me. I think your watering a little fast and your water is running down the inside of the bag and away. The plant could actually be dry.
I could be wrong but it won't hurt to check.

Give lock out a little thought and let me know what your thinking.
Anyone else think she may be locked out?
So for the water I just use tap water that I just tested to be between 6-7ph and I had the recommended Fox Farm nutrients to the water. So this last watering was 3tsp of Big Bloom + 2tsp of Grow Big per gallon. I tried to give each plant about a gallon and a half, but I'm starting to think I have an underwater underwatering issue so a lot likely ran out of the medium.

A second plant started exhibiting symptoms with the yellowing leaves and drooping leaves. I've attached pictures of the plant and the leaves. I have not removed the leaves. At what point would you recommend removing leaves like this?

I felt deep into the medium of both plants that have symptoms. It feels very dry closer to the edges and a just a little moist closer to the middle. Too dry in my opinion. I think you're right and I have water channels. And as @Grower1974 mentioned, I have not slowly watered them to saturation since placing them in these pots. Would doing so be the likely remedy?

20240511 223421
20240511 223327
20240511 223248
Stokes

Stokes

That posture tells me they are thirsty. Ive seen plants do that when theyre hungry, even if they dont show deficiencies in the leaves. I dont think thats the case here, i think shes just powering through more water than usual because they really go through it at this point in flower.

I would also stop with the grow big if shes done stretching. Her leaves are very dark and clawing.

How often are you watering? I would imagine the top is crusty, the edges of the pot are too defined, there shouldnt be a gap between soil and fabric. Does the water bead up immediately and run towards the sides? Slow down when watering, especially at first. Slowly wet the surface and then water when you see it absorbing

Last edited:
Stokes

Stokes

Damn that ocean forest keeps getting chunkier and chunkier.

Unrelated but if youre looking at a preamended soil next grow i would look at coast of maine stonington, i ran FFOF for a few years but i just can’t recommend it anymore. Its miracle grow 2.0 lately

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

So for the water I just use tap water that I just tested to be between 6-7ph and I had the recommended Fox Farm nutrients to the water. So this last watering was 3tsp of Big Bloom + 2tsp of Grow Big per gallon. I tried to give each plant about a gallon and a half, but I'm starting to think I have an underwater underwatering issue so a lot likely ran out of the medium.

A second plant started exhibiting symptoms with the yellowing leaves and drooping leaves. I've attached pictures of the plant and the leaves. I have not removed the leaves. At what point would you recommend removing leaves like this?

I felt deep into the medium of both plants that have symptoms. It feels very dry closer to the edges and a just a little moist closer to the middle. Too dry in my opinion. I think you're right and I have water channels. And as @Grower1974 mentioned, I have not slowly watered them to saturation since placing them in these pots. Would doing so be the likely remedy?
I would mix up a batch of fertilizer. As per Fox Farm instructions. Make sure to P.H as normal.
Give each plant 1 cup. slowly. Let it sit 5 min then give each plant 1 cup slowly until each has at least a litre of fresh nutrient solution. 4 or 5 cups should sort her out. Give it over night to find it's way through out the bag. Check it in 12 hours and decide what you think then.

Or you could mix up a 1/2 bucket of solution. P.H as normal and simply dunk the bag for 30 seconds. Pick it out and lean it in a sink at a 45 deg angle so it drains well. Give it 10 min to stop dripping. The left over solution makes great house plant fertilizer.

Ether way she should perk right up over night or in a few hours. Then it's just keep an eye on her as normal.
As she is in flower do you have a Cal-mag supplement of any kind?

Last edited:
B

benf2014

That posture tells me they are thirsty. Ive seen plants do that when theyre hungry, even if they dont show deficiencies in the leaves. I dont think thats the case here, i think shes just powering through more water than usual because they really go through it at this point in flower.

I would also stop with the grow big if shes done stretching. Her leaves are very dark and clawing.

How often are you watering? I would imagine the top is crusty, the edges of the pot are too defined, there shouldnt be a gap between soil and fabric. Does the water bead up immediately and run towards the sides? Slow down when watering, especially at first. Slowly wet the surface and then water when you see it absorbing
Thanks for your reply! I try to water at least twice a week but I've been trying to feel the pots to see if they feel light. The water does bead up quickly and run toward the sides. And since it's a fabric pot some of it actually drips out the sides about 3/4 of the way down the pot. I'm pretty confident it's a water issue at this point. I'm definitely going to slow down when watering.

Stokes

Stokes

Thanks for your reply! I try to water at least twice a week but I've been trying to feel the pots to see if they feel light. The water does bead up quickly and run toward the sides. And since it's a fabric pot some of it actually drips out the sides about 3/4 of the way down the pot. I'm pretty confident it's a water issue at this point. I'm definitely going to slow down when watering.

Ive never used one in soil, but you may want to look into a wetting agent. They make a world of difference in coco.

You also may want to consider a soil mix with significant coir included, when i mix my soils now i use promix hpcc, made a world of difference. Watering is much more predictable and consistent. I will never do a mix again without 40-50% coir.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I try to water at least twice a week but I've been trying to feel the pots to see if they feel light.
Lifting the pots is the best method. I like to use a soil moisture meter, as well, but they require more skill to use. The important thing is to let the soil dry. Cannabis plants like water but they don't like wet roots. The roots need to be able to breathe.

The water does bead up quickly and run toward the sides.
Wetting the surface using a spray bottle and waiting till it soaks in helps.

And since it's a fabric pot some of it actually drips out the sides about 3/4 of the way down the pot.
If water runs out the sides, you're watering too fast.

I'm pretty confident it's a water issue at this point. I'm definitely going to slow down when watering.
Watering slowly keeps the plant from drooping. First, add very little water and wait. Then add a little more water and wait. As the soil moistens, it will hold more water, so increasing amounts can be added after the first few waterings. I usually take an entire day to water.

m8ty

m8ty

Saw a photo of someone who solved the water pouring out the fabric problem.🤪

20220405 123607 1080x1440
B

benf2014

I would mix up a batch of fertilizer. As per Fox Farm instructions. Make sure to P.H as normal.
Give each plant 1 cup. slowly. Let it sit 5 min then give each plant 1 cup slowly until each has at least a litre of fresh nutrient solution. 4 or 5 cups should sort her out. Give it over night to find it's way through out the bag. Check it in 12 hours and decide what you think then.
This morning I ended up slowly giving each plant 2 cups of water to hold them over until I get home from work. I like the idea of slowly giving them water a few cups at a time which I'll do this evening. Hopefully later this week I'll have some pics of some healthy looking plants!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
This morning I ended up slowly giving each plant 2 cups of water to hold them over until I get home from work. I like the idea of slowly giving them water a few cups at a time which I'll do this evening. Hopefully later this week I'll have some pics of some healthy looking plants!
I don't like the idea. The goal is for the roots to go deep for water and nutrients. Top watering can prevent that from happening. It's best to use the drench-and-dry method. That is, slowly water to capacity and then let the plant drink it down, while growing roots in the process.

B

benf2014

I don't like the idea. The goal is for the roots to go deep for water and nutrients. Top watering can prevent that from happening. It's best to use the drench-and-dry method. That is, slowly water to capacity and then let the plant drink it down, while growing roots in the process.
Honestly I don't have anything against the drench and dry. I just don't have an available bucket to use haha. What you're saying makes sense though. I'll look around this evening for some sort of storage container I could do that with.

Top Bottom