First grow! Looking for advice.

• Thread starter AvnerMinn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AvnerMinn

Hi all! New here and this is my first grow. So far everything has been going pretty good. We are doing two sour diesel, and two Acapulco gold, they are in week 5 flower. In the 2nd week of flower I started getting yellowing/dying fan leaves. I transfered them into 5 gallon pots about a week before going into flower and used ffof soil. I have been using cal mag since starting veg and have recently started adding sweet berry. I am using the 3 part nutes from general hydroponics and have been sticking to the charts for amounts on a feed water water water feed schedule. They are currently getting water every 4 to 5 days once they dry out.
Been fighting the yellowing leaves but nothing is helping, looking for advice on what to try. Am I underwatering? Are they nutrient deficient? Thanks in advance for any advice!

First grow looking for advice
First grow looking for advice 2
First grow looking for advice 3
First grow looking for advice 4
First grow looking for advice 5
B

Bdubs

Hey! Looking good. You have a phosphorus deficiency possibly. Or lockout occuring. Did you increase flower/bloom nutrients when you flipped? Ph should also be closer to 6.5 in flower to keep P and K in plethora. As Ph can be overlooked and misdiagnose a deficiency for Ph out of range.

B

Bdubs

“Ph can be overlooked and misdiagnose a deficiency for Ph out of range“

Misdiagnose a Ph out of range for a deficiency.

B

Bdubs

I wouldn’t rule out a nutrient lockout either. Everything looks to be faded to yellow.

If she is nutrient locked out. She will dry up and show deficiency. She wouldn’t be drinking or eating. Causing dry crispy leaves as she drinks from herself, her reserves. And showing deficiency as she is eating from herself, lower leafs up, her reserves. Drooping would be first signal, low turgor pressure.

B

Bdubs

Because you are using Gh and following the chart. I would suspect Ph as your problem causing a lockout. Or you have fully closed stomata and no transpiration taking place with prolonged low humidity which inevitably translates to high VPD if your day temps are normal range 72-77 day temps. Any hotter and low humidity will cause plant taxation taking up kore water from root. In turn eating more food and a lockout from taxing could very well be a culprit.

If these were my plants. I would verify my temp/humidity, then runoff check Ph and PPM. If PPM is way higher than your feed PPM, you have lockout occuring. Even if Ph is in range, an increasing PPM is caused by nutrient salts not being used.

Also, an overabundance of nutrient salts (because you are using liquid nutrients) can accumulate with regular over Feeding in the soil (not overwatering). This also causes lockout. So if you do not 20% runout, accumulation of these salts is nearly imminent unless you are some master waterer with precision feeding technique and process along with the proper soil mixture used.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I have not read through this but I think I know what's going on bc the same thing was going on for me when I was doing roughly the same thing you're doing.

I was not getting run off when I watered and got a build up of nutrients which blocked out others. I would check your ppm or ec and if it's high flush the plants. I was at like 2000ppm and flushed until I was at 1000. This helped mitigate the damage and I still had a good crop. The next time I made sure to get run off and it was drastically better.

I grow in living soil now and wouldn't go back.

I'm going to read through the replies now. I was excited to possibly help.

Edit: microbial mass or mammoth P are great products for unlocking P and making it plant available. It's not a nutrient, they're microbes. A mixture of bacteria and possibly fungi i can't remember of hand that this very intelligent man figured out that will unlock locked up phosphorous. The same guy that created mammoth P has now made microbial mass.

But if you have a P def it's most likely bc you've got a build up of other nutrients which is living out the P. Again I would test the run off for ppm or ec or make a soil slurry and test that.

Edit edit: your plants look great. Congrats you did very well for your first grow. Or even your fifth grow.

Last edited:
P

Purfict

Hi all! New here and this is my first grow. So far everything has been going pretty good. We are doing two sour diesel, and two Acapulco gold, they are in week 5 flower. In the 2nd week of flower I started getting yellowing/dying fan leaves. I transfered them into 5 gallon pots about a week before going into flower and used ffof soil. I have been using cal mag since starting veg and have recently started adding sweet berry. I am using the 3 part nutes from general hydroponics and have been sticking to the charts for amounts on a feed water water water feed schedule. They are currently getting water every 4 to 5 days once they dry out.
Been fighting the yellowing leaves but nothing is helping, looking for advice on what to try. Am I underwatering? Are they nutrient deficient? Thanks in advance for any advice!
I have a very similar setup; ffof, general hydroponics 3 part, and I have the same issues. Since I’ve upped the pink and cut back on the purple, I’ve noticed they’re starting to slow down on eating leaves. I also have had problems with my soil accepting water after dealing with fungal gnats, but I would say their feed chart is a little conservative. That’s just advice from another new grower on his first grow, so I wouldn’t take it as concrete.

A

AvnerMinn

Hey! Looking good. You have a phosphorus deficiency possibly. Or lockout occuring. Did you increase flower/bloom nutrients when you flipped? Ph should also be closer to 6.5 in flower to keep P and K in plethora. As Ph can be overlooked and misdiagnose a deficiency for Ph out of range.
I increased bloom but not gro, charts told me to slowly raise the amount of both until flower, then lower gro from 6.4 ml/g to 5.3 once in flower. Ph is always between 6.0 and 6.3. I have got some koolbloom for the pk boost and tried it on one plant but either didnt help or made it worse.

I wouldn’t rule out a nutrient lockout either. Everything looks to be faded to yellow.

If she is nutrient locked out. She will dry up and show deficiency. She wouldn’t be drinking or eating. Causing dry crispy leaves as she drinks from herself, her reserves. And showing deficiency as she is eating from herself, lower leafs up, her reserves. Drooping would be first signal, low turgor pressure.
I have noticed the worst one has been retaining more moisture in the soil then the rest. I havent had too much drooping, just yellowing and dying leaves, and even then dying ones are not drooping much, if at all.
Because you are using Gh and following the chart. I would suspect Ph as your problem causing a lockout. Or you have fully closed stomata and no transpiration taking place with prolonged low humidity which inevitably translates to high VPD if your day temps are normal range 72-77 day temps. Any hotter and low humidity will cause plant taxation taking up kore water from root. In turn eating more food and a lockout from taxing could very well be a culprit.

If these were my plants. I would verify my temp/humidity, then runoff check Ph and PPM. If PPM is way higher than your feed PPM, you have lockout occuring. Even if Ph is in range, an increasing PPM is caused by nutrient salts not being used.

Also, an overabundance of nutrient salts (because you are using liquid nutrients) can accumulate with regular over Feeding in the soil (not overwatering). This also causes lockout. So if you do not 20% runout, accumulation of these salts is nearly imminent unless you are some master waterer with precision feeding technique and process along with the proper soil mixture used.
The normal day high temp is about 75, humidity is being maintained at 50%, +/- a couple %. I will have to check the runoff, that is one thing I have not done.
I have not read through this but I think I know what's going on bc the same thing was going on for me when I was doing roughly the same thing you're doing.

I was not getting run off when I watered and got a build up of nutrients which blocked out others. I would check your ppm or ec and if it's high flush the plants. I was at like 2000ppm and flushed until I was at 1000. This helped mitigate the damage and I still had a good crop. The next time I made sure to get run off and it was drastically better.

I grow in living soil now and wouldn't go back.

I'm going to read through the replies now. I was excited to possibly help.

Edit: microbial mass or mammoth P are great products for unlocking P and making it plant available. It's not a nutrient, they're microbes. A mixture of bacteria and possibly fungi i can't remember of hand that this very intelligent man figured out that will unlock locked up phosphorous. The same guy that created mammoth P has now made microbial mass.

But if you have a P def it's most likely bc you've got a build up of other nutrients which is living out the P. Again I would test the run off for ppm or ec or make a soil slurry and test that.

Edit edit: your plants look great. Congrats you did very well for your first grow. Or even your fifth grow.

Thanks it is good to hear I'm doing well, just need to get this issue under control. I will be checking the runoff and going from there. I'll defintely look into that mammoth p produst you suggested.

Top Bottom