Outdoor grow in Southeast Michigan 2024

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

We bought our land (2 acres 50 yrs. ago, damn that was a long time ago!) in farmland (at the time, the city has since moved out to our place) that had been subdivided. We noticed the deer would run diagonally through our property for years. And it's the same relative path the other critters took, coyotes, turkeys.
THEN my mulberry tree started producing and they all gathered around that.
New neighbors moved in with 2 dogs and we don't see deer regularly anymore. (which is good!)
sounds like your land had a well used game trail. Exactly what i mean by theyll just pass through. The mulberries gave them a reason to hang out, and the dogs gave them a reason to f*ck right off hahahahaha.

Rabbits stay within 100 yard of where they are born for their entire life pretty much lmao. The only reason they spread so quickly is from how fast they can reproduce.

Mulberries, those are those small trees that make the berries that look like raspberries, yea?

back in otter lake MI when little, we had tons of those planted on game trails we mowed into the fields

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
The rats and mice I have experience with Have never bothered with leaves! They go straight for the jugular! The stalk! And if you don’t get after them, and let them girdle it, the plant is dead! Lost a lot of plants like that back in the day! If they don’t gnaw, They eventually die of starvation!

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

The rats and mice I have experience with Have never bothered with leaves! They go straight for the jugular! The stalk! And if you don’t get after them, and let them girdle it, the plant is dead! Lost a lot of plants like that back in the day! If they don’t gnaw, They eventually die of starvation!
thats been my experience, thats why i said theyre smart bastards. They tend to fell a plant at the stalk and eat it all in a group, leaving a mess behind.

Smaller plants theyll leave nothing but a stick coming a half inch out the dirt.

Rabbits carefully gnaw so they dont kill the plant, intentionally. They chew on things like bark and sticks fto keep teeth worn. And they tend to stand on hind legs to get at the stuff with the most phytonutrients in them. The very leaves im having damage done to.

Rabbits dont go far from where they are born, and they evolved to tread much more lightly on their surrounding environment then rodents did. Damage from rabbits comes from their overpopulation from lack of predators or introduction into non native ranges. A rabbit will almost never eat a single plant to the point of killing it before moving on to another. It benefits their survival as a species that reproduces so quickly. The problems with rabbits come when there is a line of 5 of them waiting to eat a little bit of your plant lol. Even then they wont usually level a crop like rats will. They'll just strip all the foliage. Not any better, but at least they arent violent in everything they do like wild rats are. We should count our lucky stars that squirrels are mostly solitary seed/nut eaters. They are even more violent then rats are lmao.

If i was dealing with rats or mice, my plot would already be completely ruined im pretty sure lol. When they find some food they like, they literally throw a damn party. They'll mow down a quarter acre of a wheat field and leave nothing but stalks in a couple nights flat out here. Is entirely because they rounded up and spayed and neutered all the ferral cats out here 6 years ago too, without replacing the foxes, badgers and coyotes that would normally hunt the rats here.

we didnt learn from the bubonic plague apparently lol. When you have removed all the small predator species from an area heavily inhabited by humans, small cats are an absolutely necessary, and essential evil to support the predator/prey relationships in the ecology of that area, and to suppress the populations of destructive pest prey species.

The last time humans got all scared about feral cats and started killing em off without understanding what they were doing, rats exploded and the bubonic plague happened because we had also killed all the badgers, foxes, and wolves.

Jeez, apparently i have a whole rant about rats too. I probably have a cynical jaded rant about most things at this point 😅😅

Last edited:
PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

thats been my experience, thats why i said theyre smart bastards. They tend to fell a plant at the stalk and eat it all in a group, leaving a mess behind.

Smaller plants theyll leave nothing but a stick coming a half inch out the dirt.

Rabbits carefully gnaw so they dont kill the plant, intentionally. They chew on things like bark and sticks fto keep teeth worn. And they tend to stand on hind legs to get at the stuff with the most phytonutrients in them. The very leaves im having damage done to.

Rabbits dont go far from where they are born, and they evolved to tread much more lightly on their surrounding environment then rodents did. Damage from rabbits comes from their overpopulation from lack of predators or introduction into non native ranges. A rabbit will almost never eat a single plant to the point of killing it before moving on to another. It benefits their survival as a species that reproduces so quickly.

If i was dealing with rats or mice, my plot would already be completely ruined im pretty sure lol. When they find some food they like, they literally throw a damn party.
Rats have wiped me out before. A couple dozen seedlings gone overnight. I purchased these
20240518 092348

Set of 6 was $20. This one is above my seedling tray. I put a couple in the garage. We've got a large lot, about half acre. Neighbor across the street has 4 acres. We're a block from the "city" but still lots of wildlife. We've got hawks that help in the mice/rat population but still too much open area with gophers and bunnies.

I haven't been hit by mice/rats since I started using these repellents.

cpurola

cpurola

Rats have wiped me out before. A couple dozen seedlings gone overnight. I purchased these
View attachment 2173699
Set of 6 was $20. This one is above my seedling tray. I put a couple in the garage. We've got a large lot, about half acre. Neighbor across the street has 4 acres. We're a block from the "city" but still lots of wildlife. We've got hawks that help in the mice/rat population but still too much open area with gophers and bunnies.

What pray tell IS that?

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

View attachment 2173699

im not too worried about mice or rats, too many local farms offering up bountiful grains all season long. theyre thick in this area but they mostly seem to leave me and my gardens alone. Here at least, i have had major problems with them in this area when i was younger out here. Especially in my basement grows

Rabbits on the other hand... ive got several dens on my property, and the bastards spend the first half of every day, and last hour or two in late afternoon just wandering around grazing.

im 99% sure at this point after finding droppings my issue is the rabbits as far as leaves being eaten. Im going to chick wire the plot in tomorrow and see if it stops. None of the foliage within the chick wire cylinders have been hit by anything but the aphids. And even those, its prob less that they are immune to pyrethrin, and more that they are just breeding out of control in the current weather. I was just being dramatic about em so i could make the kryton-aphid joke lmfao.

I actually brought all this up to lend you some extra confidence in your grow, not because i didnt think i can manage it or needed solutions lol. Im not too worried, and if i dont grow on the land next season, its not like i wont have a DWC tent going in the basement.

Kinda like a "Here's my list of crazy problems im not stressing out about at all" as a way to help endow confidence and relaxation in your own garden lol.

Last edited:
cpurola

cpurola

So, I'm thinkin of taking 12 plants to our local Garden Club plant sale June 1 at the United Methodist Church. LOL
Hubby thought that was a great idea, until he said they might recognize you and want to visit.
Problem with that is... no fence, and so, not strictly legal. DAMN.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

So, I'm thinkin of taking 12 plants to our local Garden Club plant sale June 1 at the United Methodist Church. LOL
Hubby thought that was a great idea, until he said they might recognize you and want to visit.
yea that could end up kinda sketchy.

I'd totally label it "Burning Bush" not "cannabis" if i did that though xD

Just hammer some posts in the ground and drop some wooden pallets over it and use twist wire to attatch the pallets together.. badda bing badda boom.... fence. Leave one pallet easily un-wire-tied, and use only one post. badda bing badda boom, gate.

Although cannabis fences have to be like 6 foot or something dont they? idr i was entirely indoor in KC where personal grows were concerned.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Fits right in with that wall of totes that was in your basement! Don’t like throwing things away!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
No, it’s not you! But I would rather let her explain it! But if she doesn’t in a timely fashion, I will spill the beans!😂 It’s got something to do with a slight, hoarding, mentality that she has made great Strides, dealing with! At least I thought!😁 But everything has a positive! Cpurrr has become an expert sifter Over the course of last winter!

Stokes

Stokes

I had this happen several years ago with a Chemdog x Brutis OG cross and I've been using this to flower overwinter moms for the past couple years, mostly indicas in San Diego North County 32nd parallel.

Works like a charm. Ya know I haven't tried it with my true sativa hemp plants but seriously 15 hrs to 13 will prompt most plants.

And I'm only using eight 9 Watt LED's with the diffusers removed.

Hows your luck with sativas outdoors?

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

No, it’s not you! But I would rather let her explain it! But if she doesn’t in a timely fashion, I will spill the beans!😂 It’s got something to do with a slight, hoarding, mentality that she has made great Strides, dealing with! At least I thought!😁 But everything has a positive! Cpurrr has become an expert sifter Over the course of last winter!
lmao i actually meant to quote her post not yours xD
I think the solstice when the days start getting shorter triggers it.
yup. Days shortening/nights lengthening are what triggers flowering, not necessarily the hour count, even though indoors thats what's most critical in most cases. It's actually the act of it being different now, then it was yesterday/day before. Plants dont have a set hour count they'll flower at, even though indoors, in that context, it would appear to be the case. You can get plants to have some pretty interesting behaviors at pretty interesting hour counts if you start playing with consistent daily schedule changes like what happens in nature. Thats just very difficult to do indoors with light timers. So we change it all at once dramatically to trick the plants into thinking theyre late to flower, is also why they stack flowers differently indoor vs out.

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Whichever. 2-3rd week of july, same for indica or sativa dom. Im thinking about throwing some long flowering sativas outdoors this year to see what happens
the post i just made, meant to quote you not treebee.

Im super off my roll tonight lmao. The only reasons sativa finish later, is because they take longer to finish. They will all start going into flower around the same time, yea.

Stokes

Stokes

the post i just made, meant to quote you not treebee.

Im super off my roll tonight lmao. The only reasons sativa finish later, is because they take longer to finish. They will all start going into flower around the same time, yea.

How do your longer flowering sativas do? What parallel did you say you were at?

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

How do your longer flowering sativas do? What parallel did you say you were at?

about 36 north. But im super land locked and my first frosts are in late october.

Sativas do better here because were pretty wet and stormy in spring and fall both. Get a lot of bud rot and PM issues with heavy indicas, some turn out ok though.
when i was younger, on land about an hour north of here, i could usually finish long floweringf sativas that take 10-12 weeks indoors. diesels and hazes and stuff. Sometime frost pulled em in early on me though, but usually not enough to be a huge detriment, can usually keep a plant inground and healthy til late october here if you take good care of it. Problem with heavy indicas here, is we have lots of mid/late september thunderstorms when the nights start to get cooler.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have acess to an interesting example thats slightly relevant to a post i made earlier right now so ima give it. Sorry for the hair photobomb.

These two buds are the exact same gelato clone, from the exact same KC grower. One indoor, one outdoor bud, they weigh exactly the same. The structure, density, and trichome size is completely different. The outdoor is from this last fall, and the indoor is about 3 months old.

The terp content of the lighter green indoor is far superior to the outdoor, but the quality of high from the outdoor, as well as potency is better then the indoor. It's not as brown as the contrast makes it look under this flash shot from a $40 android phone though lmao.

You could be forgiven for thinking these two buds had no relation whatsoever, but theyre actually the SAME cut of the SAME gelato grown by the SAME grower with the SAME soils and SAME nutrients. xD He did loose a bit of this to rot through the fall though, and the texture of the good buds suffered a bit from all the rain and humidity, hes at about 39 north. Sativas do better for him too usually, but he has to get lucky to totally finish them, still worth growing though. 36 is prob right on the line in most places for heavily sativa dominant plants, idk about out west though, that thin red line is prob a bit further north out there, hell theres high dessert in Oregon some places.
441973398 919614063185429 7274336632149377092 n

two little handfuls next to each other lol.
441273879 997121112114281 6389401351238844593 n

Last edited:
Top Bottom