Small space Laughing Buddha Plant

• Thread starter Imzzaudae
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

After growing a monster Buddha last summer I wanted to try a mini Buddha.
As my indoor setup is only 24" X 24" about 40" tall. I prefer to grow one plant at a time rather than stuff my grow space.

Light is an older Mars 300 60 LED at 24".

Soil. Recipe came from a Dr Bruce Bugbee video.
50 / 50 Vermiculite and Peat Moss.
40 Grams Dolomite lime per gallon to sweeten the Peat.
10 grams Gypsum per gallon.

Pot is a 6" nursery pot. 1/2 inch of quartz stone for drainage.

As I am always messing with Fertilizers, this grow I chose Schultz Orchid Fertilizer. 15-5-5
15-5-5.JPG

Currently feeding 7 drops per litre every watering 25% runoff and the plant is looking very nice.
No signs of tips burning or deficiency. Will likely flower her on Schultz Cactus 2-7-7.

Buddha

As you can see. I topped her a few days ago and removed most of the upper leaves in order to let light at the bottom branches. The plant has responded exactly as planned and I have pulled down and tied the lower branches. Up until recently I have always main lined but found the videos on plant training bellow. This is the second plant I have used the 5th node technique on and I'm loving it so far. The first time was my last indoor plant, a Wedding Cake that came out super nice. She is currently tucked away curing.

The plant is just a month old. Another 30 days and she should have a nice even top. I guess time will tell.

It's been a long cold winter. Have spent a small fortune on beans since Christmas and I'm looking forward to another
Summer growing season. Pots are already loaded with my home made super deluxe living soil.
Small space laughing buddha plant 4

This JLF was made last spring. Cooked all summer.
Small space laughing buddha plant 5

Then I added all of my cannabis plant wast material and let mother nature do her thing.
I ended up with 60 litres of this milkshake thick green cannabis plant specific JLF as my main microbe food.
Small space laughing buddha plant 6

As I always run into weather problems with late flowering varieties I'm thinking 3 Outdoor Autos in the ground June first in 15 gallon pots. 1 plant will be a photo in a 15 gallon pot same as last year. Well guys that's all the news that is news from my back yard.

Small space laughing buddha plant 2
Last edited:
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Changing things up keeps me from being board and I learn a lot. Keeping it small allows me to focus on how one plant is doing on a daily basis rather than being spread out. I'm very hands on.
I think similarly. I don't have an outdoor space for growing, though. I wish I did.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I am lucky to have the outdoor space I have. So I can grow out back. Have a cop on one side and a mean dog on the other.
I get along with both so it's a win win. Keeps the riff raff out. Where I am people drive down the street flying a drone. Looking for plants in the back yards. Then come back about harvest time. Chop m off at the tops of the pots.

It's never happened to me but I have had friends cleaned out over night.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy real living soil and making my own fertilizers. But its a big job.
I may go back to Pro Mix next year.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

A few days later.
I installed 1/8" x 12" long tie down dowels to the top of the pot so I can pull the lower branches down outside the edges of the pot. Just used wire ties. And wire tie hooks to hold the branches in place. Soon I will let the ends turn up and remove the leaves covering the branch nodes so they grow up and fill in the centre of the plant.
So far Buddha Baby seems to be a super happy little plant. Growing nicely.
Budha tied
I have in a second little space with this micro Wedding Cake finishing up.
Nothing fancy but she looks and smells nice.
Tops2

Last edited:
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Buddha Baby.
After a 2 litre flush with P.H 6.3 water. She was fed 7 drops per litre of Schultz 15-5-5 PH was smack on 6.5 for a change.
I then tucked as many fan leaves under so they don't block light and trimmed leaves along the stalk tops that block light from hitting nodes that are just beginning to produce new stalks. Tidied her up a bit and gave her a feed. Now it's back in the tent until next week.

It's sprout the beans weekend for this summer outdoor grow. I'm looking forward to another great season.
Won't be long and the weather will be very summer time here in south western Ontario.

Leaf clean

Last edited:
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Well I was checking on Buddha baby last evening. Saw a black leaf edge on the top new growth. Almost keeled over!
After a closer inspection the leaf was simply canoed and reflecting light funny. Looked like the saw edge was all burned from a distance. This leaf was new growth about 1" long at the very top of the plant. Grabbed my measuring tape and My little plant gad grown up and was now 22" from the old Mars 300.

Ended up moving a shelf so I could drop the plant down a few inches. Now at 26". Topped her back 2 nodes on both top branches so she will grow 4 nice branches at the top of the plant. Cleaned up any leaves that where shading lower branch nodes so new branches can grow from nodes located along the main branches I have tied down. That should be it for topping this plant. Now it's just a matter of watching her grow. See if she goes where I planned. Maybe have to break out the wire tie and do a little training. I have to say that I'm pretty happy with this little plant.

Retirement really sucks. Having to stay home and mess with my pot plants n all.
Trims

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Changing things up keeps me from being board and I learn a lot. Keeping it small allows me to focus on how one plant is doing on a daily basis rather than being spread out. I'm very hands on.
Totally get it and a living soil is the best way to grow IMHO.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Totally get it and a living soil is the best way to grow IMHO.
I enjoy the whole process. You know. The evening walk down the back 40, dump kitchen scraps in the compost bins.
Some evenings I'm walking threw 2 feet of fresh snow, others it's raining or the skeeters about carry you away. In the top goes nasty. Out the bottom comes this super plant food I mix up and feed my pot plants. Life is good.

Top Bottom