Suck or blow pressure in 2x4 tent

• Thread starter Monkeybigbuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Billybobbong

I have had the same 2x4 tent and equipment for the last 4 years. I have kept the fan and filter inside the tent, sacrificing that space.

When the filter is inside the tent, air enters the filter through the cotton cover and exits the filter inside on its way to the duct and fan. After each grow the cotton filter cover is dark with resin particles and needs to be cleaned.

If I move the fan/filter outside the tent then the air would be moving through the filter in reverse, from the tent through the duct to the inside of the filter to the outside, bypassing the cotton cover.

In my mind I imagine the carbon inside the filter getting dirty faster without the cotton to act as a first stage filter. Also, the surface area of carbon exposed to dust and resin particles is less on the inside circle of the filter then the outside circle.

Is there a difference in carbon filter life expectancy based on position inside or outside of the tent? How about the fan, if the fan is positioned before the filter, does it get gummed up faster?
I allways use a prefilter of some kind, even used a filter mat just pulled over the duct to stop stuff entering the filter, when I push into them it's allways protected to ensure the longest running time out of them. So in mine the inner filters prefilter is protecting both inner cores, just make sure it's covered correctly sometimes I tape the ends down with a ring if duct tape.

B

Billybobbong

I have the fans outside on a shelf unit as is the external filter and prefilter and all the electrical stuff

IMG 20240430 233132
IMG 20240430 233625
IMG 20240430 233607
B

Billybobbong

I have had the same 2x4 tent and equipment for the last 4 years. I have kept the fan and filter inside the tent, sacrificing that space.

When the filter is inside the tent, air enters the filter through the cotton cover and exits the filter inside on its way to the duct and fan. After each grow the cotton filter cover is dark with resin particles and needs to be cleaned.

If I move the fan/filter outside the tent then the air would be moving through the filter in reverse, from the tent through the duct to the inside of the filter to the outside, bypassing the cotton cover.

In my mind I imagine the carbon inside the filter getting dirty faster without the cotton to act as a first stage filter. Also, the surface area of carbon exposed to dust and resin particles is less on the inside circle of the filter then the outside circle.

Is there a difference in carbon filter life expectancy based on position inside or outside of the tent? How about the fan, if the fan is positioned before the filter, does it get gummed up faster?
You can just use a hose or duct Joiner put the intake duct on the joiner and just use a large elastic band to put some filter mat over the end of the pipe creating a small prefilter, it works nice done it, then put filter and fan outside

PianoStan

PianoStan

Your intuition is probably pretty good.
My carbon filter didn't even survive my first grow. Although that had nothing to do with dust or resin particles. Early on in the grow, I couldn't get the humidity in the tent above 27%. So I put a "smart" cool mist humidifier in the tent so that I could set the humidity level. But it had a bad sensor or whatever, and refused to shut off when it reached my designated setting.

Long story short, I came out one morning to check the plant, and the tent was 95%RH, the carbon filter had fused solid, and all air exchange had been interrupted.

I think that the life expectancy of both the filter and the fan would be largely dependent on the amount of dust, and other microscopic debris that it encounters. And it's not just about the couple of extra inches of surface area that your cotton filter provides, but that removeable cotton filter is washable so that the life expectancy of your carbon filter could be extended.

B

Billybobbong

Your intuition is probably pretty good.
My carbon filter didn't even survive my first grow. Although that had nothing to do with dust or resin particles. Early on in the grow, I couldn't get the humidity in the tent above 27%. So I put a "smart" cool mist humidifier in the tent so that I could set the humidity level. But it had a bad sensor or whatever, and refused to shut off when it reached my designated setting.

Long story short, I came out one morning to check the plant, and the tent was 95%RH, the carbon filter had fused solid, and all air exchange had been interrupted.

I think that the life expectancy of both the filter and the fan would be largely dependent on the amount of dust, and other microscopic debris that it encounters. And it's not just about the couple of extra inches of surface area that your cotton filter provides, but that removeable cotton filter is washable so that the life expectancy of your carbon filter could be extended.
Yeh I've never had that problem and my tent is sometimes full of condensation, it just blows through once it heats up, I even dry my stuff in the tent and just leave the fans running for a week no smell and nicely cured, need powerful fans bro nothing less than 100 w centrifugal

B

Billybobbong

Centrifugal fans they pump the hardest it's like a turbo type impeller

PianoStan

PianoStan

Yeh I've never had that problem and my tent is sometimes full of condensation, it just blows through once it heats up, I even dry my stuff in the tent and just leave the fans running for a week no smell and nicely cured, need powerful fans bro nothing less than 100 w centrifugal
Definitely another thing to add to my list of necessities. When I first decided to grow my own weed, I just bought a complete 3x3 grow tent kit. And, looking back I should have know better.

It reminds me of when I bought my first guitar. I bought a $150 kit that came with the guitar, an amp, a stand, a cable, and a DVD of guitar lessons. However, it sounded like crap, the fret ends were like razor blades leaving my hands bloody, and the instructions were garbage. The ONLY thing in the kit that was decent was the guitar stand. It stayed with me for years of dependable service.

And with that grow tent kit, the ONLY thing that hasn't proven to be trash during this grow is the tent itself. The light was ridiculously underpowered. The carbon filter fused. The thermometer/hygrometer was garbage. I guess that the fan is OK, but not ideal, and the flexible ducting that came to hook it all together was too small to fit over the fan's intake.

I should have just sourced each of the pieces of equipment individually. I would have gotten more reliable products with less drama. Maybe it wouldn't have been as cheap, but as with most things, you really do get what you pay for.

B

Budtirement

So, what size tent with that fan? Seems like over kill for 2x4.

B

Billybobbong

Definitely another thing to add to my list of necessities. When I first decided to grow my own weed, I just bought a complete 3x3 grow tent kit. And, looking back I should have know better.

It reminds me of when I bought my first guitar. I bought a $150 kit that came with the guitar, an amp, a stand, a cable, and a DVD of guitar lessons. However, it sounded like crap, the fret ends were like razor blades leaving my hands bloody, and the instructions were garbage. The ONLY thing in the kit that was decent was the guitar stand. It stayed with me for years of dependable service.

And with that grow tent kit, the ONLY thing that hasn't proven to be trash during this grow is the tent itself. The light was ridiculously underpowered. The carbon filter fused. The thermometer/hygrometer was garbage. I guess that the fan is OK, but not ideal, and the flexible ducting that came to hook it all together was too small to fit over the fan's intake.

I should have just sourced each of the pieces of equipment individually. I would have gotten more reliable products with less drama. Maybe it wouldn't have been as cheap, but as with most things, you really do get what you pay for.
Yep been there done that, they Market supremely superior junk that doesn't work or may not suit your environment eg to hot, you have to customise you own shit, depending on what and where, it's a hard gig there's so many variables and different types of equipment set ups it's a real trap

B

Billybobbong

Even this 4x4 has taken me years to try getting right and still getting there bro.. not an easy thing to do people pissing in your pocket everywhere
IMG 20240505 224010

B

Budtirement

Even this 4x4 has taken me years to try getting right and still getting there bro.. not an easy thing to do people pissing in your pocket everywhere
Do you have a pic of the pre-filter inside the tent that you set up? The wheels are turning in my brain.

Newty

Newty

Did you see a noticeable increase in tent temperatures? Those filters look rather thick, and like they might have the potential to decrease overall air volume. But they definitely look capable of keeping dust/pests away.
The cut to fit filters I posted, no I did not see an increase in tent temps.
Interestingly, my tent running negative pressure is cooler than the air temp of the room. When I open the tent to look at the plant, the temp can spike 5F or more. (And I have a 2000watt Bestva led in a 3x3 tent).
My tent is the same way and if I open the doors, my temp can spike 5 degrees or more as well.
This is even with an air conditioner keeping the lung room at 65 while the inside of the tent is 76, anytime I open the door the temp spikes to 80 degrees. Kind of strange.

PianoStan

PianoStan

I can definitely see how growing weed can be an addictive hobby. And ALL addictions are expensive!

B

Billybobbong

Do you have a pic of the pre-filter inside the tent that you set up? The wheels are turning in my brain.
Just use this Joiner put it on the inlet inside you tent, clamp it to half way, then get some filter mat and cover it then wrap tape of elastic around to hold it on , simple and tidy prefilter, just change when it brown a little, the photos are just a rough idea I couldn't find the mat, but you get the general idea

IMG 20240506 214652
IMG 20240506 214722
Top Bottom