• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Lets see some history of rock and roll
Guess who the guest guitarist in this clip is??? Rockplast 3 28 81, Jerry still looks pretty good....

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Beatles

28th March 1967, Working on sessions for the new Beatles album Sgt. Pepper at Abbey Road studios in London, John Lennon recorded his lead vocal for ‘Good Morning Good Morning’, and Paul McCartney added a lead guitar solo to the track. Lennon had decided he wanted to end the song with animal sound effects, and asked that they be sequenced in such a way that each successive animal was capable of scaring or eating the preceding one. More here: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/sgt_pepper

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Led Zeppelin released their 5th LP "Houses Of The Holy" on March 28, 1973. It was their first album composed of entirely original material, and represents a mus...ical turning point for the band, who had begun to record songs with more layering and production techniques. ( Thanks to Eddie Kramer a little).

"Houses Of The Holy" was a huge success, and was certified eleven times platinum by the RIAA in 1999. In 2012, it was ranked #148 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Some think this was Zep's finest work. Would you agree, and if not, what do you rate higher?

Happy 43rd Birthday to "Houses Of The Holy"!!!
Led

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
On this date March 28, 1964 "Dead Man's Curve" by Jan & Dean entered the Billboard Hot 100 where it would peak at #8. The song was written by Jan Berry, Roger C...hristian, Brian Wilson and Artie Kornfeld. The record was produced by Berry.

The setting of the song is supposed to reference a sharp curve on Sunset Boulevard just past N. Whittier Drive in Beverly Hills, CA, which is ironically very close to where Jan Berry had his near-fatal car crash 2 years later.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
They said ‘Hey, let’s play ‘Dark Star’ – we hadn’t played that in a while.’ I was like ‘Oh, I don’t know the song.’ They said ‘Oh, you’ll love it. It’s right up your alley.’ They started playing the song and the audience went absolutely ape s–t. They went bananas. I’m looking at them going bananas and I’m going “OK, this must be an anthem.” Then I got all these telephone calls on my private number [from] Dead Heads. The phone would ring and I said ‘How’d you get this number?’ and they’d say ‘Don’t worry about it, we’re harmless, we just love the music.’ Couple of times a week I’d get phone calls. It was really refreshing in a way. When you play in popular environments, people come to like it.” - Branford Marsalis looks back on 3/29/90 at the Nassau Coliseum

Photo: Kraig Fox

Brad and jerry

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Eric has 71 candles on his birthday cake today.

Yes, we could go on and on about his career. Yes, he has done some very great / cool things. He had to. He's Eric Clapton.

Now because we try to stay away from a 'greatest ever' title because we know everybody has different tastes in music, if asked, would you say he is in your top 5 guitarists?

Happy Birthday Mr. Clapton!!! Thanks for doing that...
Eric

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
The Jimi Hendrix Experience played at the London Astoria on March 31, 1967. While the band waited to perform, Hendrix and his manager Chas Chandler were discussing ways in which they could increase the band's media exposure. When Chandler asked journalist Keith Altham for advice, Altham suggested that they needed to do something more dramatic than the stage show of The Who, which involved the smashing of instruments. Hendrix joked: "Maybe I can smash up an elephant", to whic...h Altham replied: "Well, it's a pity you can't set fire to your guitar".

Chandler then asked road manager Gerry Stickells to go find some lighter fluid. During the show, Hendrix gave an especially dynamic performance before setting his guitar on fire at the end of a 45-minute set. In the wake of the stunt, members of London's press labeled Hendrix the "Black Elvis" and the "Wild Man of Borneo".

Hendrix burnt his hands so badly that he was taken to a nearby hospital.

Tony Garland, Hendrix’s press agent picked up the remains and placed them in the garage of his southern U.K. home where it remained for 40 years. 1n 2007, Garland's nephew found the guitar and decided to auction it off. It sold for $575,500,00 (£280,000.00)

When Jimi played Monterey later that year, he again lit his strat on fire. That was the more famous burning.

Jimi's first on-stage fire, 49 years ago today. "..let me stand next to your fire….."
Jimi

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Did you ever say something that you meant as a joke, but it didn't quite work out that way?

On April 4, 2007, The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards retracted / took back a statement that he had made to the Britain music magazine New Musical Express a few days earlier. He thought everybody would know it was a 'April Fool's joke.

He told the magazine that he snorted his dad's ashes. He didn't. But the story sure took off. Do you remember your thoughts when you first heard about it?
Keith

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Canned Heat's legendary front man Bob "The Bear" Hite passed away on April 5, 1981. Bob was the lead singer of the blues-rock band, Canned Heat, from 1965 to his death in 1981.

Canned Heat came together when Bob was introduced to Alan Wilson by Henry Vestine and the two of them helped convince blues pianist Sunnyland Slim (1906-1995) to get back into the recording studio to record. In 1965, aged... 22, Hite formed a band with Wilson. Vestine joined soon after and this trio formed the core of Canned Heat. The trio were eventually joined by Larry Taylor (bass) and Frank Cook (drums).

We don't know how many of you will remember, or are old enough too, when Canned Heat appeared on a November 1969 episode of Playboy After Dark. Bob was invited to talk with Hugh Hefner after the performance, along with other guests Sonny and Cher, Vic Damone, Dick Shawn and Larry Storch. A 20-year-old Lindsay Wagner, playing the part of one of Hefner's party guests, sat on Hite's lap and played a party game. When asked by Hefner what kind of animal Hite would be if he were an animal, Wagner claimed he'd be a bear. Hite told her she got it right, that people called him "The Bear." It was also on this episode that Hite informed Hugh Hefner that he had over 15,000 78s.

Hite performed at Woodstock in August 1969. The performances were not included in the original (1970) film Woodstock, but are in the 1994 "Director's Cut" version.

Bob produced the John Lee Hooker/Canned Heat album, Hooker 'N Heat in 1971..

On April 5, 1981, during a break between sets at The Palomino Club in North Hollywood, CA, Hite was handed a drug vial by a fan. Thinking it contained cocaine, Hite stuck a straw into the vial and snorted it. The drug turned out to be heroin and Hite turned blue and collapsed. Some roadies put Hite in the band's van and drove him to a nearby home where he died.

We lost one of the greats, 35 years ago today. We do wonder if the person who gave him the heroin got in any trouble for that. We would think you would want someone to know. It is possible that the person who handed Bob the vile didn't know, but not likely.

RIP Bob. Thanks for the music. One day we'll all see you again up in the country.
Heat

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
5th April 1994, Kurt Cobain committed suicide by shooting himself in the head at his home in Seattle. Cobain's body wasn't discovered until April 8, by an elect...rician who had arrived to install a security system, who initially believed that Cobain was asleep, until he saw the shotgun pointing at his chin. A suicide note was found that said, "I haven't felt the excitement of listening to as well as creating music, along with really writing . . . for too many years now". A high concentration of heroin and traces of Valium were found in Cobain's body. His death was officially ruled as suicide by a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head.
Kurt

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
On this day in 1969, Jimi recorded "Stone Free," "Hear My Train A Comin'" and "Lullaby For The Summer" at the Record Plant in New York City.
Jimi 11

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
On this day in 1976, the who 's drummer Keith moon paid nine cab drivers to block-off both ends of a New York street so he could throw the contents of his hotel room out of the window
Keith

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Led Zeppelin released their 5th LP "Houses Of The Holy" on March 28, 1973. It was their first album composed of entirely original material, and represents a mus...ical turning point for the band, who had begun to record songs with more layering and production techniques. ( Thanks to Eddie Kramer a little).

"Houses Of The Holy" was a huge success, and was certified eleven times platinum by the RIAA in 1999. In 2012, it was ranked #148 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Some think this was Zep's finest work. Would you agree, and if not, what do you rate higher?

Happy 43rd Birthday to "Houses Of The Holy"!!!
View attachment 585807
Best album they ever cut IMHO

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Eric has 71 candles on his birthday cake today.

Yes, we could go on and on about his career. Yes, he has done some very great / cool things. He had to. He's Eric Clapton.

Now because we try to stay away from a 'greatest ever' title because we know everybody has different tastes in music, if asked, would you say he is in your top 5 guitarists?

Happy Birthday Mr. Clapton!!! Thanks for doing that...
View attachment 586362
Absolutely one of the all time greats with the axe.....

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
it was one of the most important albums ever made. On May 16, 1966, The Beach Boys released the LP "Pet Sounds."

Brian Wilson had stopped touring with the band to focus on writing and recording. Brian had heard The Beatles' LP "Rubber Soul."
It blew him away. Brian has said: "When I heard Rubber Soul, I said, 'That's it. That's all. That's all folks'. I said, 'I'm going to make an album that's ...really good, I mean really challenge me'. I mean, I love that f*****g album, I cherish that album."

"Pet Sounds" was good. Really good. It challenged The Beatles. Beatles producer Sir George Martin has said, "Without 'Pet Sounds,' "Sgt. Pepper" never would have happened... Pepper was an attempt to equal Pet Sounds."

Do you remember the first time you heard any of the music from "Pet Sounds"?

Happy 50th Birthday to The Beach Boys masterpiece "Pet Sounds"!!

Bb

Top Bottom