Irrigation Controller

• Thread starter whocares
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

whocares

I'm looking for a better controller. Right now I'm have a rainbird to activate my solenoids. I'm currently watering 3x per day and want to start watering 5x per day. If would also like to be able to control down to the second.

Only one in can really find is a galcon? Anybody used them

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

It's damn near impossible to find a conventional irrigation timer that goes down to seconds. Commercial misting timers do it but most run on intervals instead of a 24 hr clock. I used the one by dramm for a little bit but didn't like the interface so I switched back to a standard controller.

I have a buddy helping me set up a basic solenoid relay that is run wirelessly, once he's got it down and added the sensors I want in it we're writing software and doing some major testing. It will be programmable down to seconds and have moisture sensors in pots as well as a flow sensor on the main. Probably be finished with it by the end of summer, I want to be able to put it to market.

There is some pretty complex software out there already as well as some wireless designs, I'm not sure how many of them go down to seconds, however.

Olyver

Olyver

Get a PLC based irrigation controller, you can sync pumps, solenoids, sensors, monitoring, etc.

basseye

basseye

Look at the newer hunter and rainbird clocks with seasonal adjustment built in.with those clocks you can set them for 1 min run times then adjust down the seasonal or % button from 120% down to 10% on most models so at 10% you would only be running for 10 seconds.

RSN

RSN

whocares
Hope you don't mind dropping this concept here.

Look at the Ace PLC series. Both it and its relay io can be had for less than 100 us. US based company, family oriented with background in controls. On my second grow in 8x8x8 chamber using the Ace 22 for lights/pump/valve pulsing. Did have to add a UPS for realtime clock. Somewhat simple to use for newbie but I find it 1990 dev software crude but works. Oh, by the way it only required about 1/2 amp at 5vc.

However; I would not use for any analog. Too costly converting everything from base transducer to analog to digital when the analog step can be removed and it is the one that cost.

spam a picture, okay? Wiring - courtesy of poor boy's fab shop.

DSC00278

Next step is a Raspberry PI approach. Can use all the Ace discrete IOs and looking to pick up environmental items thru a 1 bit bus protocol.

The Terps

The Terps

Hunter and rain bird both won't water less than a minute other than the hunter acc even with seasonal adjustments

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

whocares
Hope you don't mind dropping this concept here.

Look at the Ace PLC series. Both it and its relay io can be had for less than 100 us. US based company, family oriented with background in controls. On my second grow in 8x8x8 chamber using the Ace 22 for lights/pump/valve pulsing. Did have to add a UPS for realtime clock. Somewhat simple to use for newbie but I find it 1990 dev software crude but works. Oh, by the way it only required about 1/2 amp at 5vc.

However; I would not use for any analog. Too costly converting everything from base transducer to analog to digital when the analog step can be removed and it is the one that cost.

spam a picture, okay? Wiring - courtesy of poor boy's fab shop.

View attachment 601574

Next step is a Raspberry PI approach. Can use all the Ace discrete IOs and looking to pick up environmental items thru a 1 bit bus protocol.

Awesome to see this - keep us updated on how it goes. I'm about to attempt the same thing with an Arduino.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Galcon is overpriced DIG. Dig 5006-IP is a controller that will do seconds.

The Terps

The Terps

@leadsled would you know where to purchase one cause that is a discountinued product

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
@leadsled would you know where to purchase one cause that is a discountinued product
Did not realize they are discontinued. They still have them at Sprinkler warehouse.

Another option that is not discontinued. Open sprinkler Can run on arduino or RPI. Another benefit is that you can also control it remotely.

https://opensprinkler.com/

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Older thread, but I've been looking into a controller. Looks like this one has a cyclical mode that can be programmed down to the second:

W

whocares

Older thread, but I've been looking into a controller. Looks like this one has a cyclical mode that can be programmed down to the second:

I think thats the best one i ran across, but i never upgraded either. You can increase or decrease feed times with dripper sizes and a ball valve on your feed line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom