Seamsters Local 420 - 1st Time ScrOG

• Thread starter ShutUpDonny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

Hey all,

This is my second grow and my first scrog. Basically just wondering if I've packed too many tops in there or not.

What you are seeing is an approximately 2'x3' grid of 1.5" wire mesh which I've used to scrog two feminized Dinafem Royal Haze plants. Right now there are roughly 30 - 35 branches coming up through the mesh, with none of them being closer two each other than 3". You can clearly see that fan leaves are already starting to overlap though... Oh yeah, and this is day 12 of flower.

So should I cut some out? How many? Any other tips or questions?

Thanks,
>Donny
Seamsters local 420   1st time scrog

N

Ne Obliviscaris

That looks great, breh, really really nice. I think that should be perfect, once you get further along in flower and those fan leaves start coming off, the buds should be spaced enough to get great light exposure. Are you continuing to keep their legs shaved? With a canopy that dense anything down low is gonna be larfy as fuck, and not worth expending ATP on growing. How many nodes did you leave on?

Dunge

Dunge

Donny,
If you plan to make a log of this thread, I'd love to watch.
Looks like a good show is in order.
Nice work.
As for "shaving their legs" can you reach under there and prune, or is it too crowded?

BC farmer

BC farmer

Hi Donny,

Glad to see someone else trying a scrog!
Have some better pics, showing the distance between screen/plant etc.
Looking good man, keep it up!

ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

My "breh" with the unpronounceable name has caught me. I have neglected the leg shaving recently because I've been steadily cutting off tops to give the keepers better spacing, and I didn't want to further stress the girls by cutting even more green off. I know, I know - not a good enough excuse.

Well the lights are off so I can't take a pic of what it looks like under the mesh right now, but I will. And I'll be sure to shave in the meantime as well so the upskirt pics are presentable. And hell yeah I'll make this my log - thanks for the encouragement Dunge. I need more regimentation in my life anyway!

With that in mind, here's some more info:

- 3x3x6 Secret Jardin tent
- 400w of LEDs, with another 100 or 200 to come. Currently doing 12/12.
- Soil is FFOF amended with many different organic meals, lime, greensand, EWC, and a bunch of myco products
- 2 plants, each in a "SmartPlanter" of my own making. They consist of 10 Gal Rubbermaid storage bins with holes drilled in the bottom and 2" up the sides. Inside each is a conforming liner I personally sewed by hand out of organic wool felt (Hell yeah I'm proud of my DIY hardware!)- picture a rectangular box with no top. Inside the liners are the soil and my lovely ladies.
- Soil is top-dressed with nitrogen fixing clovers and chamomile, which I will soon chop and bury where it falls with a few more gallons of soil per planter.
- Humidifier keeps RH at 60% - 70%, but I'm in the desert so it's fine.
- Temps vary from 68 - 78
- No CO2
- 1 circ fan going constantly, and one 210 cfm vent fan running 15 on/15 off
- Ferts are 1/2 Gal per plant of homemade organic tea, made out of those same various meals, compost tea, guanos, fish emulsion, humate, EWC, and CalMag since the water is RO. They get this once every four days, and I let the tea aerate for 4 days to a week.
- Between ferts I run 1/2Gal "water" per plant with just CalMag, Nitrozime, molasses, and EM-1. Schedule is [Water - 2 days off - Ferts - 1 day off - Water...] and that seems fine for now. May have to make it more frequent as they grow, or just give them more to drink when I do water them.
- Weekly spray with Neem oil
- Spray with B1 after I prune

Questions? Fire away!

BirdDog1

BirdDog1

Looks great! I use a screen with larger holes so I don't snap the stem while pulling back through and re-placing, but I can't argue results amigo......nice.

And oh ya, it's hard to say without a pic from under the screen but DONT cut any out. You still have plenty of cannopy room.

ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

Holy shit, BC! That's insanely awesome. Some day, man...

Thanks for stopping by in any case, and thanks for the guidance. I'm all cramped in my little tent, so it's just two plants wedged in there and that's that. What I really want to know is if there's enough room between individual tops. Enough empty squares in the mesh, if that makes more sense...

ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

I was worried about that too, Dog, so I just made sure to spread them out further almost every day. That said, next time I'll go for the cargo mesh I've seen people around here using. Or at least up to like 3" wire mesh if I'm forced. These tiny squares just aren't necessary.

BirdDog1

BirdDog1

I was worried about that too, Dog, so I just made sure to spread them out further almost every day. That said, next time I'll go for the cargo mesh I've seen people around here using. Or at least up to like 3" wire mesh if I'm forced. These tiny squares just aren't necessary.

Stick to the wire and get plastic coated. Mesh/string is for SOG and lazy people lol. I like the 2" x 4" or the 4"x4" green plastic coated wire fencing. Around $50 at lowes/home depo

Side note: I had a mite problem at one point and thoes suckers set up a transportation super highway on my SCROG screen wire....keep an eye out.

ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

Stick to the wire and get plastic coated

You mean they make plastic-coated mesh? I've never seen that but it sounds great. Is that a Wally World/HD buy?

As for mites, I hear you. They ravaged my first grow after 40 days of flower and I had to chop. I'll get some of those bugs that eat mites if I see those fuckers again. But after bleaching the whole grow room and tent and dousing the plants with Neem I'm hoping I scared them off (Yep, prob a pipe dream...).

BirdDog1

BirdDog1

You mean they make plastic-coated mesh? I've never seen that but it sounds great. Is that a Wally World/HD buy?

As for mites, I hear you. They ravaged my first grow after 40 days of flower and I had to chop. I'll get some of those bugs that eat mites if I see those fuckers again. But after bleaching the whole grow room and tent and dousing the plants with Neem I'm hoping I scared them off (Yep, prob a pipe dream...).

Mites always hit hardest at peak of flower. Predator mites are not effective. Oils such as neem simply suffocate the mites/eggs so keep it up every week or else. They will be back.

And no, scrap the mesh if you are going to SCROG. Use metal wire coated with plastic.

N

Ne Obliviscaris

My "breh" with the unpronounceable name has caught me. I have neglected the leg shaving recently because I've been steadily cutting off tops to give the keepers better spacing, and I didn't want to further stress the girls by cutting even more green off. I know, I know - not a good enough excuse.

No one wants ladies with nasty nether regions, breh. And the stress you will be causing them will be far outweighed by the energy they dont have to put into growing fluffy underbrush.

- 400w of LEDs, with another 100 or 200 to come. Currently doing 12/12.

So I know I've given you shit about your love of LEDs in the past, but I can't argue with your results so far. Can you give me some more details on your lighting? what spectra are you using, and how is that 400 distributed across them? Do you suppliment with flourescents?

Does anyone know of any peer reviewed journal articles on absorbtion of different wavelengths of light in cannabis?

ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

@ Ne Ob(*#&*&)@_#*@_
These are the ones I use. I have 2 100w and 1 200w, and am planning to get another, prob a 200w, depending on how mammoth the girth of my tax return is. Spectral breakdown details are in that link somewhere, though I don't recall them speaking to how the watts are divided among the bulbs. Wouldn't surprise me if they're treated equally, but in looking at the light I can tell you that there are more reds than blues/greens, and only a few UV. Anyway, shoot them questions via the site. They have been super responsive whenever I've asked anything.

You asking me to do your Bio homework for you, breh? I'm not really into journaling...

@ BirdDog
So as far as mites, you just Neem and cross your fingers? Any other tricks?
And sorry to keep asking, but I want to make sure I understand. You're saying you get like a spool of plastic coated copper wire and weave up a grid out of that?

ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

See - eventually I get my shit together. Here's a panorama of the seedy underbelly of my questionable operation.

So talk to me about further shaving. I clipped the few larfy branches I found, but left all the fan leaves. Opinions are always appreciated.

left-jpg.203654

middle-jpg.203655

right-jpg.203656

Left
Middle
Right
ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

So here's the new-look understory. Topped up with more of my amended FFOF mix after chopping the nitrogen fixers and leaving them where they laid.
dirt-jpg.203909

Anyone know anything about increasing trichome production through the use of extra UV lighting? When I started babbling at Ne Obliviscaris about my LEDs, and the fact that they contain a few UV bulbs, I couldn't help but think of those reptile lights they sell at the pet store. Anyway, it's a cheap crutch if you all think UV is worth it, and certainly easy to justify NOT buying if that whole idea is a wives' tale. Hit me.

Dirt
Abek666

Abek666

Oh donny please stop cuting anything its ok under there skirts just kill water sprouts like the little sucker on the left plants arm or make a cut out of it its worth the time invested in it ^^ but its looks very promising.
If allowed i would ask how much this LED setup benefitted you cost wise or better asked how much you get out and how much ya pay for running them?

my best regards and a real good grow i whish ya

P.s.:
Thanks your adwise was a real good kicker to my RH probs^^

P.p.s: Could ya take a pic within the time the lights get of so we could se ya gals in her greenness^^

Abek666

Abek666

oh another thing thats come to my mind how much did you pay for those LED lights inclusive cargo cost?
I did thought about getting one of these for my new veg area when its affordable for me^^
thanks for the info in advance;)

Top Bottom