2017 Interior Alaska Outdoor Automango F2 Grow

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

20160910_172215-jpg.632778

This is the AutoMango I pollinated.
This is the one plant that showed a resistance to a horrifying brown bud mold.
Great smell, lots of trichomes, open bud structure.
She gave me these f2 seeds.
20160917_174014-jpg.634491

I didn't dry them well enough and discovered mold.
Removed the obviously infected, and let them dry.
Getting very bad germination rate (<30%) but I have splashed them all, so that still results in a bunch of plants.
2017 interior alaska outdoor automango f2 grow

The oldest ones in the back are from a 40 seed splash 1 April 2017.
The remainder were started later for a total start of 140 seeds.
Still have some in paper towels, but what you see will represent the majority of the plants I will get from this germination.
This will be the only plant that I am keeping males from, simplifying pollen control immensely.

I intend to foster out as many of these plants as I can, encouraging seed production.

Searching for continued mold resistance, and improved bud structure.

Dunge

Dunge

My original germination rate estimate was wildly pessimistic.
Looks more like a 60%.
20170417 110833

So I am faced with fostering most of an 80 count population.
I hope to give them to growers willing to report on plant growth characteristics and to cooperate with pollination in an effort to improve the line.
Community genetics.

If you know anyone in interior Alaska who might wish to participate, let them know.

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

looks like a very interesting auto. did u make the seeds ur self? what are the genetics involved if u dont mind me asking?

Dunge

Dunge

I don't know how far back the "all ruderalis" plant has been cultivated in Alaska, but the one I'm working with came south to Fairbanks from Fort Yukon. It's a squat plant, and look like normal marijuana.

I crossed it with a strange Mango keeper I brought home from Oregon about four years ago. This plant had all the good smells, very branchy, and is always in pre-flower.

The resultant seeds were grown out last summer with only one of the girls showing a valuable resistance to grey mold.
The smell is great, trichomes abundant, but the flower structure is more open than desirable. (Open flower structure may play a part in the mold resistance.)

From this one seeded plant I collected all the seeds for this season.

I will be trying to find about ten gardeners willing to grow out some of my seedlings, and let me hit them with pollen from my selected male.

Seeds will be collected and tracked based on the mothers characteristics.

This is admittedly small number selection, but it's the most I know how to do with limited capacity.

PS what is the geographical distribution of ruderalis?
Might I be working with a land race?

Dunge

Dunge

Visited a major participant in this project today.
20170518 132244

Liked what I saw.

He started just a few days before me, but got them into a heated sun lit greenhouse earlier than I.

This is what mine look like.
20170518 180317

Most of these will be fostered out.

There is a story going round about not up-potting auto flowers.
I do not ascribe to this notion.

Dunge

Dunge

I have closed recruitment of growers in interior Alaska, having reached ten growers presently helping with this season.

First flowers is the development being reported here.
Two of the nine females being grown by BD are flowering hard.
(Circled plants)
20170606 133837 001ann

20170606 133751
20170606 133759

These plants are too small to produce much, and will likely not be considered as breeding candidates, but if they fill out into heavily flowered spikes, there may be value in a short / quick line, as these are presently only 9-10 weeks from germination.

The remainder of the girls are growing nicely.

Bruce County

Bruce County

yes those small flowering plants are what i would call a lolipop... Pretty sure you dont want to breed with them.. Just curious how are you going to pick your males?

Dunge

Dunge

yes those small flowering plants are what i would call a lolipop... Pretty sure you dont want to breed with them.. Just curious how are you going to pick your males?
In all my previous efforts with autos, early flowering has always resulted in a small low yield plant.
Lolipop sounds right.

My current plan is to judge males by structure and vigor and smell.
Prolific "maleness" is evident in some. Is this desirable?
If I have a group of strong males, should I blend the pollen?

Dunge

Dunge

I have lined up males in left to right order of maleness, as judged by anther pod density.
20170608 092228

All have pleasant stem rub smells.

I'm unsure that early pollen production is desirable.
I don't like #4 as it has very little branch growth.
#6 has short inter-nodal spacing, which I like, but is slow on the anthers.

Any thoughts?

Bruce County

Bruce County

I like number 6. . I would take 1, 2 and 6 and use them to pollinate your favourite female. Then see how the next generation of phenotypes presents. I have been working with solar warriors , early wonder skunk for about 10 years now, its a skunky auto that puts out some top quality buds, lots of trichomes, very tight , good potency.. Its always a bit tricky picking males. Im like you I pick by structure vigor and smell and sometimes i favour early pollen production.. But in my opinion more than one male is good.

Dunge

Dunge

Almost three months from seed, and I too am seeing some flowering.
Two of my nine girls are flowering.
20170626 124413

20170626 124454

They are both smaller than I feel is ideal for high yield, but at least they are flowering.
They also look to have good bud structure at this stage of development.
Their mother had an open bud structure.

While the remaining plants veg on, I am aware that in a little over two months they will face the chill of fall, so they best get to flowering soon.

And a male update.
20170627 093842

They are all shedding pollen.
I will likely choose a plant that is shedding best when I wish to pollinate.

Dunge

Dunge

This is a shot of BD's females.
Looks like he is getting the exact same f2 variation I am seeing.
20170629 140856

I decided it is time to make seeds from my two in flower.
20170704 142210

Sent a third flowering girl off to a friend to put with his males.
(Note that fan, males, and females are all lined up)

Dunge

Dunge

Had some wind.
20170724 153813

Fortunately, these are all the non-flowering girls, so they needed culling anyway.
My three flowering plants were safely inside the tent.
This is my favorite girl.
20170727 143055

Like one big bud.
Short arms, and lots of flower.
Bud structure is improved over mom, and nice frost.
20170727 143124

#2 is much like #1
20170727 143135

And #3 is a long branched girl.

All are well seeded, so at least 1 & 2 will be taken to f3 next summer.
A quick review of the other growers makes me hope for at least 6 more good looking plants to chase next year.
The ability to be sown inside 1 April, and finish flowering outdoor by early September is my timing criteria.
So they have a little more than a month to finish.

Dunge

Dunge

Results are starting to come in.

Here are seven seeded sisters.
20170828 164332

CM#1
20170828 163345

CM#2
20170828 163525 001

CM#3
20170828 163735

KI#1
20170826 131945

KI#2
20170826 132001

BD#1
20170826 130337

BD#2
20170826 130419

The most improved flower structure goes to BD#1
20170826 130349

I just pollinated a branch off this girl, but expect great things from her f3 seeds.
All these survivors are largely resistant to the brown mold that takes down so many round her.

Bruce County

Bruce County

Excellent , Auto flower project. I have a big early wonder skunk fatty hanging from my lips as I type. I onlyhave space for 1 auto, that being the early wonder skunk, developed by solar warrior. Further developed by 7 aces seed . 1/3 of the plants are dried and curing the rest are still exposed to the outdoors and need more time. No pics, but would love to spread the seed. Pretty sure it has its origins with sensi seed. Its Old and skunky , tight nugs, high potency. Has that dank bitter green ruderalis taste. No points for flavour. Big points for affect... A couple questions... Does your mango smell and or taste like mango.. ? bd#2 what the hell is it? What a crazy looking sativa auto combo. The CM 's are finished? Looks as if you have a green stalk pheno and a red stalk pheno. Any thoughts on which you like better? Nice work on the autos .

Dunge

Dunge

This just in:
I have de-boned and bagged six seeded plants that passed the auto flower challenge.
CM#1 120g
CM#2 137g
CM#3 136g
KI#1 31g
KI#2 92g
JW#1 335g

BD#1 & 2 were single branch pollinations. Each yielded few (30) seeds from giant plants.
Each of Blakes plants are bigger than JW#1 and they are un-seeded.
Very frosty, and should yield lots of extract.

Did a sub-sample on CM#1 to get an estimated seed count.
16g of flower
shake 11g
seed 5g (280 count)
2000 CM#1 f3 seeds estimated.

All the bagged plants were well seeded, so I'm expecting Jimmie's JW#1 to contain 5000 f3 seeds.

JW#1 is also a featured plant in that is was grown along side two other fine girls who fell to the brown mold.
20170902 163409

But here she stands mold free. (well almost. I did trim out about a dozen small nodes)
20170902 163432

So summer Auto Mango f3 seed production for 2017 has been a giant success!
I have 8 lines to chase next summer, and six of them have abundant seed inventory.

So this is where I ask for help.
20170914 075802

I plan to place these bags into a sealed cooler once they have stabilized and are dry enough.
I will probably harvest some seeds from each and store them separately.
I'm thinking dryer is better, as seeds are little water reservoirs, and subject to fungal attack.

Any thoughts on ways to store seeds for viability?

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Rice my friend, changed out every 3 months. Just put the date it needs changed every time. Then they are viable for the fridge.

Dunge

Dunge

20171007 172648ann

The entire project is snug in a cooler in the garage.
20171007 174728ann

The biggest plant, JW#1, is not yielding many mature seeds, but there are lots more to dig through.
20171007 161025

And the CM#3 has no problem delivering abundant ripe seeds.

P

Piratos

I don't know how far back the "all ruderalis" plant has been cultivated in Alaska, but the one I'm working with came south to Fairbanks from Fort Yukon. It's a squat plant, and look like normal marijuana.

I crossed it with a strange Mango keeper I brought home from Oregon about four years ago. This plant had all the good smells, very branchy, and is always in pre-flower.

The resultant seeds were grown out last summer with only one of the girls showing a valuable resistance to grey mold.
The smell is great, trichomes abundant, but the flower structure is more open than desirable. (Open flower structure may play a part in the mold resistance.)

From this one seeded plant I collected all the seeds for this season.

I will be trying to find about ten gardeners willing to grow out some of my seedlings, and let me hit them with pollen from my selected male.

Seeds will be collected and tracked based on the mothers characteristics.

This is admittedly small number selection, but it's the most I know how to do with limited capacity.

PS what is the geographical distribution of ruderalis?
Might I be working with a land race?
Rudaralis evolcwd in eastwrn Russia/asia long long days and cold. Just like alaska

P

Piratos

This just in:
I have de-boned and bagged six seeded plants that passed the auto flower challenge.
CM#1 120g
CM#2 137g
CM#3 136g
KI#1 31g
KI#2 92g
JW#1 335g

BD#1 & 2 were single branch pollinations. Each yielded few (30) seeds from giant plants.
Each of Blakes plants are bigger than JW#1 and they are un-seeded.
Very frosty, and should yield lots of extract.

Did a sub-sample on CM#1 to get an estimated seed count.
16g of flower
shake 11g
seed 5g (280 count)
2000 CM#1 f3 seeds estimated.

All the bagged plants were well seeded, so I'm expecting Jimmie's JW#1 to contain 5000 f3 seeds.

JW#1 is also a featured plant in that is was grown along side two other fine girls who fell to the brown mold.
View attachment 740457
But here she stands mold free. (well almost. I did trim out about a dozen small nodes)
View attachment 740458

So summer Auto Mango f3 seed production for 2017 has been a giant success!
I have 8 lines to chase next summer, and six of them have abundant seed inventory.

So this is where I ask for help.
View attachment 740459
I plan to place these bags into a sealed cooler once they have stabilized and are dry enough.
I will probably harvest some seeds from each and store them separately.
I'm thinking dryer is better, as seeds are little water reservoirs, and subject to fungal attack.

Any thoughts on ways to store seeds for viability?
In a freezer in glass jars. Thats how the woeld heritage seed banks do it. At least -10 c.

Top Bottom