3 X 220 Watt 5 Cob Lamps Replace 3 X 400 Watt Hps

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

A few days ago I pulled the trigger and purchased three LED lamps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9A82RV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's $.65 per watt.
About 1/4 the going rate from what I have seen.
They came today and got installed in a temporary position until after the next harvest in four weeks.
3 x 220 watt 5 cob lamps replace 3 x 400 watt hps
3 x 220 watt 5 cob lamps replace 3 x 400 watt hps 2
They are destined to replace the three 400 watt HPS I currently flower under.
I know very well what the HPS can do. Now we get to see what these new lamps can do.
3 x 220 watt 5 cob lamps replace 3 x 400 watt hps 3

LEDs installed temporarily to expand veg space.
The three lamps will be moved along with twelve of these plants to live out the rest of their lives under close surveillance by any of my friends here who care to come along.

Excess plants will stay in this space to flower out for the last indoor cycle of this season.
(I planted lots of seeds of my own creation, and had to do something extraordinary to prevent wasting plants.)

hempygorilla

hempygorilla

A few days ago I pulled the trigger and purchased three LED lamps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9A82RV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's $.65 per watt.
About 1/4 the going rate from what I have seen.
They came today and got installed in a temporary position until after the next harvest in four weeks.
View attachment 671976 View attachment 671977They are destined to replace the three 400 watt HPS I currently flower under.
I know very well what the HPS can do. Now we get to see what these new lamps can do.
View attachment 671979
LEDs installed temporarily to expand veg space.
The three lamps will be moved along with twelve of these plants to live out the rest of their lives under close surveillance by any of my friends here who care to come along.

Excess plants will stay in this space to flower out for the last indoor cycle of this season.
(I planted lots of seeds of my own creation, and had to do something extraordinary to prevent wasting plants.)

What seed mix ?

Dunge

Dunge

Yesterday was harvest day, so the new LEDs got screwed to the roof over my flower space.
20170320 111042

They are heavier than they look, and it took some screw gun yoga to make them stick.
The lamp on the left is a 200 watt "high bay" industrial white light LED that has been helping the HPS for years.
20170320 111125

They seem to light the space well with a very large footprint.
The plants are all keepers, so I know what to expect.
The harvest, just pulled from here, was a nominal yield. Nice big frosty buds with just a bit of fox tailing on a few.
20170320 175534

Former veg space is packed full of plants and put on 12/12.
They are under a mixed bag of fluorescent and LED.
These are all seedlings, with two still un-sexed.
They are female, but I refuse to call it until I see pistols.
Two of these are already flowering (looking about two weeks). They are both from the same seed line, which is telling me something, I think.

Pre flower pruning makes them look a bit thin, but I expect the canopy to fill in completely.
Dark floors is what I like to see.

Dunge

Dunge

Are you just looking to reduce cost for the HPS switch?
Power cost is a factor. I'm in Fairbanks Alaska, and as you might suspect, we pay a very high $/kwh.
My wife reminds me of this on a monthly interval correlated to the billing cycle.

On the other hand, I can report that both rooms temperatures are significantly reduced. From mid 80s to high 70s F. This is a welcome result.

This is a true experiment in that I was very happy with the performance under the three 400 W HPS.
It will be a challenge for 660 watts of LED to keep up with 1200 watts of HPS.

With temps so well within requirements, it is possible that I might shoehorn some HPS into my second flower space; the one not involved in the test.

D

DonBrown93

Like you, I have been trying to lower the electric cost.
I'm trying the 315 CMH. Things are going good, but I still am thinking about building my own LED set up to lower the elec cost.
Have you plugged a "kill-a-watt to see what you using per light?

iKharon

iKharon

315 CMh is a pretty good choice right now.. I'm thinking of getting one, just to test. Thinking of adding a second Kind but the k5 1k instead of the 750.. then sticking the CMh in tent as well. But I'm waiting on winter to come back before adding that heat to the tent

Dunge

Dunge

One week on 12/12 and not as much growth as I had hoped to see.
20170327 070141

This is the COB space. Having trouble keeping RH up, and the few plants that are struggling a bit have yet to out grow their trouble. (see back right)
20170327 070210

Mixed lighting space for the seedlings. Moved two 400 W HPS into this spot. Heat is not a problem so I decided to burn those kwh. I have shifted talls to the back short to the front creating a stadium ranking to improve lighting. The HPS lamps are side lighting from the camera angle. The canopy is filling in nicely over here.

Dunge

Dunge

2 weeks of 12/12
20170403 085015

Under COBs the garden looks good, but maybe not quite what I expect.
They all show flowering, but that bright white bud looks a bit delayed.
The three plants that were struggling at the start have yet to out grow their condition.(back right and center and front center)
Under HPS I would have expected the canopy to fill in better.
20170403 085029

Here we have "the other side" flowering where there is still some HPS.
Canopy fill and bud set are more in keeping with what I have come to expect from my garden.

Dunge

Dunge

3 weeks of 12/12
20170410 105532

That bright white bud that I expect to see at 2 weeks sprung to view shortly after last weeks post, so this garden is presently thought to be two days delayed.
20170410 105602

The other side, for the record.
It looks to me like this side, with some HPS, filled in better than the COB side.

Dunge

Dunge

Thank you gentlemen.

To be clear, the comparison is with the LED room as compared to what that space has produced historically under HPS.
I will start shooting bud pics in a few weeks. These are all well known clones.
New observation: the stretch was much less than under HPS.

What is now the HPS side is the veg space with two 400 W HPS lamps supplementing mixed veg lighting.
These plants are all seedlings of my making.
Some s1 from my keepers and many AKMango f2. Gotta keep working a nice line.

Dunge

Dunge

5 weeks or 12/12
COB pics
after culling three plants that were failing. (This is a first for me)
20170424 083537
20170424 083614

Mixed lighting side.
20170424 083633

20170424 083645

Four weeks left to fatten and frost.

sixstring

sixstring

Well not sure what brand of cob is in those fixtures but the cobs everyone raves about right now are white light.but i wanted to tell you that your room temps under led need to be a tad higher than hid rooms.cobs dont have all the ir light so the leaves dont get as hot and then you have slow growth.

Top Bottom