44° F Runoff Temp! Rootzone Temperature

• Thread starter MCPotential
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MCPotential

Soil grower here...

Regardless of my growing environment here's something interesting:

I'm watering with 69° - 71° and the run off is 44° which is way to cold and I'm assuming that is affecting my plants tremendously, I did have a water bed heating mat under the plants but it burnt out on me so may need to get an electric blanket.

What impact does a RootZone of 42° have?

Thoughts?

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Soil grower here...

I'm watering with 69° - 71° and the run off is 44° which is way to cold and I'm assuming that is affecting my plants tremendously, I did have a water bed heating mat under the plants but it burnt out on me so may need to get an electric blanket.

Thoughts?
Damn that's crazy. 70 going in and 44 coming out?! So that would mean your roots are growing in a block of ice?

WestbyGod

WestbyGod

Soil grower here...

Thoughts?
What is the ambient temp. of the room you are growing in? I grow in a room that is 60-61 deg. My res. temp. drops to ambient room temp. when lights are off, climbs to about 63-64 deg. when led's are on.

M

MCPotential

Ha no block of ice, I had a nutrient lock out a few weeks ago and had to flush and a couple plants just never drank/dried out....I think since my RootZone at the bottom of my medium is pretty cold, im gonna find a thermometer here and see what it is from top to bottom.

Ambient is 85 lights on
Roughly 68-64 off

I could flush them again till temp gets up in my soil and then keep them warm somehow....here's some pics

M

MCPotential

Lots of clawing and a few yellow, theyre stressed for sure

IMG 20190117 063801
M

MCPotential

U would think I'm over watering but they ain't drinking so it's maybe once a week for some and theres 2 that I water twice a week maybe

IMG 20190117 063744
IMG 20190117 063733
IMG 20190117 063738
WestbyGod

WestbyGod

Ha no block of ice, I had a nutrient lock out a few weeks ago and had to flush and a couple plants just never drank/dried out....I think since my RootZone at the bottom of my medium is pretty cold, im gonna find a thermometer here and see what it is from top to bottom.

Ambient is 85 lights on
Roughly 68-64 off

I could flush them again till temp gets up in my soil and then keep them warm somehow....here's some pics
Did you just repot with soil that had been stored outside in freezing temps? That is the only reason I could think of that would cause runoff temps like that. If that is the case, soil and runoff should adjust themselves.

M

MCPotential

I will test run off water again....I was thinking because the ground under my tent is a mere 40degrees thus keeping the mediums extremely chilled....but I put cedar shaving under my grow box....those were transplant 3 weeks ago

Ceveres

Ceveres

Maybe elevate your pots off the ground with upside down saucers or something to allow an air gap,. Is there cement under your tent? I had the same issue and elevating them helped a lot.

M

MCPotential

Maybe elevate your pots off the ground with upside down saucers or something to allow an air gap,. Is there cement under your tent? I had the same issue and elevating them helped a lot.
I don't want to jump to conclusions yet but they almost instantly look better! Right now in Portland Oregon it's 25 degrees and cold at.....but.....I have had a heated blanket on them.

Besides the 1 plant, the rest look almost to be throw aways....but here's the pics

Freshone

Freshone

Go to home depot and get a piece of foam board to put under your tray ti isolate it from the cold concrete.

Top Bottom