• Thread starter Garlitz7
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Garlitz7

Garlitz7

4x8 tent 2 lights fox farm grow
4x8 tent 2 lights fox farm grow 2
4x8 tent 2 lights fox farm grow 3
Just added another light in my flower tent. One 600w phlizon and one 1200 phlizon led I thought I would stick with the same brand.. I just put one under each light, the 1200w under my bushier northern light plant. The 600w under my taller Afghan kush. I’m using fox farm and have been feeding once a week when I water. My temps usually stay at about 77 through the day but drop to 68ish at night. And I upgraded my 2x2 veg tent with 2 60w cfls. I had 30w ones and they just didn’t seem to like em. The bigger one is Blackberry OG and the smaller ones are white widows. What do y’all think? This is still my second grow so any advice or comments would be sweet.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

That’s an enormous amount o light.. not sure that’s your actual wattage.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
That’s an enormous amount o light.. not sure that’s your actual wattage.

The watts they pull from the wall is usually a fraction of the claimed watts. It’s a marketing gimmick. Still should be plenty of light.

Might want to look at quantum boards down the road though. They’ll save you a ton on electricity.

A buddy is running two vispars that each pull 200 watts from the wall for a total of 400 watts. In the same rack space I’m running two quantum boards turned down to about 125 watts.

In fact all my lights (flowering and veg), 2 fans, in-line ventilation system + carbon scrubber and oxy cloner together pull an average of 235 watts per hour. With 20 square foot of space to grow in that only takes up 10 sqft of floor space.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I’m keep moving my screw in rig up. 144 watts and it’s too powerful for my 2x3 to be honest.
The watts they pull from the wall is usually a fraction of the claimed watts. It’s a marketing gimmick. Still should be plenty of light.

Might want to look at quantum boards down the road though. They’ll save you a ton on electricity.

A buddy is running two vispars that each pull 200 watts from the wall for a total of 400 watts. In the same rack space I’m running two quantum boards turned down to about 125 watts.

In fact all my lights (flowering and veg), 2 fans, in-line ventilation system + carbon scrubber and oxy cloner together pull an average of 235 watts per hour. With 20 square foot of space to grow in that only takes up 10 sqft of floor space.

Down to explain how a qb saves a ton of electricity to an ignorant old uncle like me? I understand most prebuilt units or pretty much anything led would be more efficient than my screw ins but how is a qb more efficient than a decent prebuilt rig for example or a cob?

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Also think I could get away with just 72 watts (half my bulbs) for my 2x3 veg?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I’m keep moving my screw in rig up. 144 watts and it’s too powerful for my 2x3 to be honest.

Down to explain how a qb saves a ton of electricity to an ignorant old uncle like me? I understand most prebuilt units or pretty much anything led would be more efficient than my screw ins but how is a qb more efficient than a decent prebuilt rig for example or a cob?

It’s the amount of light being produced per watt. The high efficiency leds that are being used put off very little wasted energy in the form of heat. In fact I’ve had to dim the boards in order to keep from burning the plants. When I first got it I figured I’d turn it almost all the way up. That was a mistake. My plants started to burn and bleach from the amount of light and distance. Due to space constraints I can’t really raise the lights much more so I had to turn them down.

Compared to the burples I was running I’m using about 1/3 of the electricity for what I can only assume is even more light than they were getting before. The burples put out a good amount of heat which now I realize is just wasted energy. Not only do they use cheap inefficient drivers but the leds themselves put off a decent amount of heat and wasted energy.

I’m fairly new to quantum boards myself so I’m not the best resource for their efficiency other than I’m experiencing it first hand and am having a hard time quantifying the difference in watts drawn vs the amount of light produced.

I was turned on to them by @Buzzer777 and others on here who swear by them and I can attest that they are far more efficient at their duty than anything else I’ve ever seen.

In my veg chamber for example I had 216w of T-5 flouros and it was fairly dim. I added 200w of led lights from a fixture I was given to test out and burned the shit out of my plants. I had to install a dimmer and have it turned down to about 80 watts now and the plants are much happier and it’s still a good 25% brighter than it was with the T-5s. This fixture when I took it apart uses similar leds and driver to the quantum boards just in a slightly different configuration. My guess is they use last gen leds but are still very bright and efficient. I went from having an average day time temp of 83-86 inside my grow rack to barely being able to hit 73. It stays at a constant 69-70 at night when my flowering lights are off.

That’s a difference of 10+ degrees in heat and wasted energy just by upgrading to newer technology. To be able to grow in the rack and use an average total of 235 watts per hour with everything running is amazing imo. It costs more to heat a waterbed, use a deep freezer, charge a laptop, run your refrigerator, use a slow cooker than it does to grow plants with high efficient leds. And I don’t mean a combination of those I’m talking any single one of those things vs my grow rack in its current configuration. That’s mind boggling.

Like I said I’m not the best at explaining this it’s just some testing I’ve done using a kill-a-watt meter plugged into my surge protector but I’ll attach two pics to this post that show the watt usage when my flowering lights are on and off. I run my veg lights, fans and in-line ventilation 24/7.

343ACBF1 BC13 4F0C A4F5 E92A72EE5416

The above image is when everything is on including my flowering lights.

ACD76221 C22F 475A AA05 3556D87C2CC2

The pic above is when everything is on except my flowering lights.

I run 11 hours with my flowering lights on and 13 hours with them off.

1C25CA7D DA68 4F32 A024 26714777236A

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

It’s the amount of light being produced per watt. The high efficiency leds that are being used put off very little wasted energy in the form of heat. In fact I’ve had to dim the boards in order to keep from burning the plants. When I first got it I figured I’d turn it almost all the way up. That was a mistake. My plants started to burn and bleach from the amount of light and distance. Due to space constraints I can’t really raise the lights much more so I had to turn them down.

Compared to the burples I was running I’m using about 1/3 of the electricity for what I can only assume is even more light than they were getting before. The burples put out a good amount of heat which now I realize is just wasted energy. Not only do they use cheap inefficient drivers but the leds themselves put off a decent amount of heat and wasted energy.

I’m fairly new to quantum boards myself so I’m not the best resource for their efficiency other than I’m experiencing it first hand and am having a hard time quantifying the difference in watts drawn vs the amount of light produced.

I was turned on to them by @Buzzer777 and others on here who swear by them and I can attest that they are far more efficient at their duty than anything else I’ve ever seen.

In my veg chamber for example I had 216w of T-5 flouros and it was fairly dim. I added 200w of led lights from a fixture I was given to test out and burned the shit out of my plants. I had to install a dimmer and have it turned down to about 80 watts now and the plants are much happier and it’s still a good 25% brighter than it was with the T-5s. This fixture when I took it apart uses similar leds and driver to the quantum boards just in a slightly different configuration. My guess is they use last gen leds but are still very bright and efficient. I went from having an average day time temp of 83-86 inside my grow rack to barely being able to hit 73. It stays at a constant 69-70 at night when my flowering lights are off.

That’s a difference of 10+ degrees in heat and wasted energy just by upgrading to newer technology. To be able to grow in the rack and use an average total of 235 watts per hour with everything running is amazing imo. It costs more to heat a waterbed, use a deep freezer, charge a laptop, run your refrigerator, use a slow cooker than it does to grow plants with high efficient leds. And I don’t mean a combination of those I’m talking any single one of those things vs my grow rack in its current configuration. That’s mind boggling.

Like I said I’m not the best at explaining this it’s just some testing I’ve done using a kill-a-watt meter plugged into my surge protector but I’ll attach two pics to this post that show the watt usage when my flowering lights are on and off. I run my veg lights, fans and in-line ventilation 24/7.

View attachment 841562
The above image is when everything is on including my flowering lights.

View attachment 841561
The pic above is when everything is on except my flowering lights.

I run 11 hours with my flowering lights on and 13 hours with them off.

View attachment 841563
Just to add..I have sold off all my Burples (except a high end Unit Farms) and replaced them with Quantums (or similar)..My plants and light bill thank me!

I just added 2 of these to my breeding tent (currently flowering)..great lights..About the same as the new QB V2, but measure 9" x 9" ..these are complete with heatsinks, but no drivers. (I did 2 of these using a Meanwell HLG-240H-54B driver in parallel (not afraid of thermal runaway with these diodes). I got the B driver to have external dimming (Arrow Electronics)
Meanwell HLG-240H-54A

I am running them at about 100watts each (lower than max of about 130 true watts)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Horticultural-Lighting-288-V2-LED-Board-Heatsink-3000K-Full-Spectrum-LM301B/192615618997?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Horticultural-Lighting-288-V2-LED-Board-Heatsink-3000K-Full-Spectrum-LM301B/192615618997?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Monster762

Monster762

Yup my 1200w is 330 true watts.

Monster762

Monster762

Either way I think 1 plant under each light with that space you can pull pretty good.train em to your footprint find the sweet spot for the lights. They really like the purple in flower believe it or not.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Just to add..I have sold off all my Burples (except a high end Unit Farms) and replaced them with Quantums (or similar)..My plants and light bill thank me!

I just added 2 of these to my breeding tent (currently flowering)..great lights..About the same as the new QB V2, but measure 9" x 9" ..these are complete with heatsinks, but no drivers. (I did 2 of these using a Meanwell HLG-240H-54B driver in parallel (not afraid of thermal runaway with these diodes). I got the B driver to have external dimming (Arrow Electronics)
Meanwell HLG-240H-54A

I am running them at about 100watts each (lower than max of about 130 true watts)

I actually like having the dimmer on the driver. But external dimming is great too. I wasn’t sure if it would be easy to access the set screw on the driver when mounted but it’s just fine.

So don’t be afraid to go with the A series drivers as those have a built in dimmer. The B series requires an external potentiometer which is easy to hook up. I did that with my veg light fixture. Turned it down from 200w to about 80w and my plants are much happier.

Can’t go wrong either way imo.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Quantum boards are the best. Burpees are garbage. I fight some one to prove it lolololol really though I am so happy I spent time to research new le lighting before I started growing indoors again. I run 9 132qbs in each 4x4 tent. I veg whatever but flower two plants in a ScrOG to cover the entire canopy with colas. Currently drowning in flower hahahha

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Ya blurple shit lights are why I though led wasn’t legit. Honestly tho my basic non “grow light” screw ins are hard core lol. Sounds like I should build a quantum for summer but for now I could use a little more heat. That’s the main reason I’m running h.i.d. Primarily at the moment. I’d have to run heaters if I had all efficient leds lol. I’m just happy to have the excuse to run my 1000 hps still. I’m a nostalgic sonbitch but I gotta admit even my screw ins are putting a smile on my face. Everything in cost 40 bucks (all 5000k) and it’s doing the job more than I expected. I’ve seen quantum board kits that cost like 80 bucks and that. Seems way more cost effective than buying a 500 rig that isn’t even all that. Efficiency isn’t worth paying astronomically more cause you have to get your miles out of it big time before it actually saves a cent. Like buying a 50 000 car cause it gets good mileage. I can drive my 1000 dollar beater getting 19 mpg for a long ass time on 49000 bucks. And I costs the environment more to make the new car.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Not quite the best analogy but I get the point. The cost isn’t really much more to be honest. Two decent burples run about $120/ea so $240 for a set. I paid $350 for my dual quantum board setup. So for $110 difference I should be able to recoup that pretty quickly. Money well spent imo.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Quantum boards are the best. Burpees are garbage. I fight some one to prove it lolololol really though I am so happy I spent time to research new le lighting before I started growing indoors again. I run 9 132qbs in each 4x4 tent. I veg whatever but flower two plants in a ScrOG to cover the entire canopy with colas. Currently drowning in flower hahahha

I wouldn’t say garbage but the hidden cost to run them is something most new growers don’t think about. If I can save $10-20/month just on electricity that adds up quickly and that’s just a small personal setup. It gets exponentially larger as you add more. Add into that the life expectancy of a good led grow light and it’s 10-20 years of energy savings. At $10/month for 10 years that’s $1200 or more.

When you compare that to hps and mh fixtures which need new bulbs every 9-12 months the savings add up even quicker. Imo there’s no reason not to go with good quality led lights. Even if you have to start smaller and build out.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Ya sorry what I was getting at is that the qb s are appropriately priced and actually worth getting. Wasn’t saying they are what is astronomicaly expensive. Like how I should have spent a hundred bucks more and got a 630 cmh instead of my hps. Also while the blurples are pandering and stupid in concept, you can grow some weed with em and that’s better than not growing or using cfls I guess

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Don’t drown while your laying in your bathtub full of nugz lol

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Ya sorry what I was getting at is that the qb s are appropriately priced and actually worth getting. Wasn’t saying they are what is astronomicaly expensive. Like how I should have spent a hundred bucks more and got a 630 cmh instead of my hps. Also while the blurples are pandering and stupid in concept, you can grow some weed with em and that’s better than not growing or using cfls I guess

Oh absolutely. But like most things you start with cheap stuff then soon realize you should have spent a few more bucks and did it right the first time. But growing your own is always better than buying someone else’s so even burples have a place in the crowded led grow light market.

Top Bottom