A good PH Down

• Thread starter Luke Harrison
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Luke Harrison

Luke Harrison

Hey I was woundering what is a good ph down to use? i was using Earth juice at first but didn't have good results. Then the guy at the local shop sold me some stuff that you add water to to make a gallon but it all over the place. I says to add 1 table spoon per gallon but that is way to much ph droped from 7.3 to 3.0! dumped that batch started over added 30ml at a time but it just all over the scale can't get it to stable. So whats you fave?

Lowman

Lowman

Laugh all ya like...but I go to the auto parts store and buy a litre of battery acid(sulphuric acid). Costs about $7. Buy a gallon of distilled water. Pour out a cup of the distilled water....add 1 cup of sulphuric acid to the gallon of distilled water....and now I have a gallon of PH down. And enough sulphuric acid to last a few more years.

N

nog

use vinegar the clear stuff, or like the man said lemon juice, i have seen coca cola used, i think it contains phosphoric acid, and the sugars may help good soil bacteria etc.

Dynamite

Dynamite

I use General Hydroponics PH down because that's what I can get

it gets the PH down but never seems to hold it down for long

I like Advanced Nutrients much better , it's way more potent ,like syrup rather then GH's which is like water .. but can't get the AN stuff anymore ,so I'm real curious what folks have to say

I use Rockwool ,so having a quality PH down is important ,and my new grow local is on well water with a ph of 8+ ..

N

nog

the viscosity of the solution shouldnt make any difference to the strength of the acid unless it is really strong sulphuric like 98% and you shoudny mess about with that anyway it spits like hell if you add it to water, and gets really hot. you only need a weak solution, say 10% and then you only need a few mill to get the ph down.

Dynamite

Dynamite

I thought Sulphuric acid was bad for the plants ?

Food grade Phosphoric acid is what PH down is I believe ,and has been found to keep the best balance in hydroponics system from the little reading I've done

4u2sm0ke

4u2sm0ke

those home remadies..ie..lemon juic..vinager..will hold only for a few hours..I have tried all sorts. And use diffrent PH adjusters for diffrent amounts..I like The local Hydro store up and down for my 1 gallon mixes..but my Large bins i use "pool and spa" its a dry powder and dony take much but onece ya get ph its set for days..wish I could figure a mix for the Gallons.I used a Pinch in a gallon and dropped below 2.0..holy shit..gotta find what works 4u ..take care and be safe

Z

zoeronerer

Laugh all ya like...but I go to the auto parts store and buy a litre of battery acid(sulphuric acid). Costs about $7. Buy a gallon of distilled water. Pour out a cup of the distilled water....add 1 cup of sulphuric acid to the gallon of distilled water....and now I have a gallon of PH down. And enough sulphuric acid to last a few more years.

low man knows what up..... i have used the same for years ..

there are other sources as well.
pool pond aquarium etc ..

B

billybadazz

I use General Hydroponics PH down because that's what I can get

it gets the PH down but never seems to hold it down for long

I like Advanced Nutrients much better , it's way more potent ,like syrup rather then GH's which is like water .. but can't get the AN stuff anymore ,so I'm real curious what folks have to say

I use Rockwool ,so having a quality PH down is important ,and my new grow local is on well water with a ph of 8+ ..

I AGREE ITS $12 FOR gh AND $16 FOR an BUT THE an IS 3-4 TIMES MORE CONCENTATED AND HOLDS A BETTER ph .....and no I don't work for AN and particularly don't care for them but it is one of the few products I use from them that I can say for certain is worth the $

J

Jalisco Kid

I thought Sulphuric acid was bad for the plants ?

Food grade Phosphoric acid is what PH down is I believe ,and has been found to keep the best balance in hydroponics system from the little reading I've done

an acid is a ph down.This is what I buy tech grade 85% for 48 bucks/gal. I think with other lower grades of acid you are getting heavy metals and other things your plants do not need.When I work alone I use nitric also but that is a dangerous acid to play with. JK

K

Kennie_B

There is no way I could use battery acid, its just the thoughts!!!

Billygoat

Billygoat

I'm looking for a good PH down also. Having some of the same issues. Using GH down and it only good till the morning. Need to flush system, but I adjust to about 5.7-5.8 and by morning time. It's back to about 6.4-6.6. Running same system. Ebb&Flo with Hydrtron. Been running this for years and now I can't keep a solid PH for more then a day.

Anyone find anything better then GH. Let us know, going to see about the Advance tomorrow.
Take care,
BG

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
PH drift has to do with many variables. I find that it is best to mix my solution at least 24 hours before i need it and let it sit, after 24 hours i adjust my ph to desired level (5.6 for rockwool 5.9 -6.0 for dwc systems 6.3 for promix) i use a small pump to circulate the solution for an additional 60-90 min. and check ph once more. I find it remains stable for longer periods if done this way.
There are a few ph adjusters on the market for lowering ph; sulphuric, phosphoric, nitric and citric acids are the most common. Sulphuric works well but at high levels can lock out other micro nutrients, phosphoric is the most common used when plants are in bloom but doesnt seem to hold the ph as well, Nitric is typically used during the vegetative phase but can be used in bloom as well with good results. Then there is the more organic adjuster citric acid. Citric typically comes in a powder or "crystalized" form and at first appears to work well the problem with this acid is its ability to maintain a ph for any amount of time as it breaks down rapidly.
The use of benificial fungi and bacteria have become wide spread these days and something that has been overlooked by many using these living organisms is just that, THERE ALIVE! and being alive means they interact with there surroundings (your medium)
feeding and defecating, releasing a multitude of ph altering substances. (there is a lot more going on as well but ph is the issue here)
PH is also constantly rising and falling due to natural processes of the plant itself, and this is a good thing. A natural fluctuation of ph means the plant is getting all the macro and micro nutrients it requires for healthy lush growth.
PH is one of the most important factors often overlooked, maintaining a healthy ph while allowing a slight drift to occur is the key (slight drift meaning from 5.5-6.3 in most systems) constantly adding adjusters to your solution in an effort to maintain a locked ph will likely do more harm than good.
There are other causes for ph drift as well that i have not gone into. Like the temp of your room as well as your nutrient solution, the amount of D.O. present in the rhizosphere and the reservoir, whether you use aerators or not as well as many other factors.
In closing i would like to wish you all a bountiful year with lots of big smelly sticky flowers to enjoy!
Happy growing,
Farmer Jon

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Use Molasses. It also supplies micro nutes and sugars, but I grow in dirt and don't need it to hold for long periods of time in a res
The AN PHdown is good too. I personally think its the best product they make

J

Jalisco Kid

AN pH down is a product that AN buys not makes. It too is 85%.

J

jvotta420

is there any way you can tell that you have ph problems by just looking at the plants? By the way how much is a ph meter?

Dynamite

Dynamite

AN pH down is a product that AN buys not makes. It too is 85%.

Because AN's new line up is supposed to be PH/PPM perfect I was told they are no longer making ph down

heard that from a "hydro shop guy",so take it with a grain of salt ,hopefully I'm wrong

so where do you buy "tech grade" by the gallon from ?

the term "tech grade",could you explain a little please..
guess I'm not smelling what your stepping in

any info appreciated ,thanks Dyna

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
I use Advance PH down and use a water bottle to dilute it never run straight PH down, After switching to Canna as my base nutes and running an Under Current system there is no longer a need for Ph up or down I just nute up the 250 gallon rez and by the time the rez is emptyed PH is in the 5.9 to 6.1 range..:rauch08:

J

Jalisco Kid

I buy my acids,peroxide, and some salts from a local lab supply place. JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom