Accurately sizing chillers for hydroponics systems

• Thread starter Chillville
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
There is a very precise and easy way of sizing chillers for use in cooling hydroponics reservoirs.

1. Calculate as accurate as possible how much water is in your hydroponics systems.
2. Turn on everything in the room that makes heat, do it in the hottest part of the day too. Basically let the room get to its max temperature.
3. Chill the system down to the desired temp. You can do this with bags of ice so that you won't be adding any additional water volume. This is important...once the desired temp is reached remove ALL the ice from the system. Circulate the water so the temp is equalized through the system. Turn on pumps, airstones etc.
4. Start a timer and write down the starting water temp, please be as accurate as possible.
5. At exactly 1 hr later check the temperature again and write it down.
6. Subtract the low temp from the high temp to get the temperature differential.
7. Use this formula below to calculate BTU needed….

gallons of water in system
X
8.34 (weight of a gallon of water)
x
temperature differential over one hour
------------------------------------
equals BTU needed per hour of chilling power

Example
If I had a system with 70 gallons of total water volume, I turned on my lights and got the room to 80 degreees. I started with 65 degree water....waited one hour and the temp was 70, so a 5 degree rise in temp.

70 x 8.34 x 5 = 2,919 BTU per hour.

3,000 btu = 1/4 ton
6,000 btu = 1/2 ton
12,000 BTU = 1 ton of cooling

Always give yourself a cushion, especially if buying a cheap chiller. They never put out their ratings, I always add at least 20% to the btu total when sizing. So with my example above I would figure about 3,600 btu which means I need a 1/2 ton chiller.

G

green guy

Very timely info for me. Thanks for that. If I oversize is there a danger of getting the solution too cold? Is there such a thing as too cold?

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
To cold yes but that's easy to fix, just don't turn it down to low :)

A larger chiller is no problem with the nature of water-cooling. With a larger chiller you will be able to cool the res down faster and it will run less during a cycle.

G

green guy

To cold yes but that's easy to fix, just don't turn it down to low :)

A larger chiller is no problem with the nature of water-cooling. With a larger chiller you will be able to cool the res down faster and it will run less during a cycle.

I was given a chiller for free yesterday by my grow shop guy who said it worked for about 6 months but then would get down to 50F and he couldn't get it to not be so cold. Any tips on how to service such a thing?

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
From what you wrote I understand there is a problem with the thermostat on the chiller and it doesn't shut off when it is supposed to....so the water is over cooled.

There are a couple of ways to fix this, lets try the easiest first. If you turn on the chiller, unplug it, and the plug it back in does it reset and turn back on? Or do you manually have to turn it back on? If you don't have to manually reset it you can get a hydro innovations resistat to do the job, it has a sealed external probe you drop in the water and its good for 15 amps. Simply plug the resistat in the wall and plug the chiller in to the resistat, the controller willl turn on and off the chiller according to the setpoint. You can use other brands of cooling thermostats too but you would have to seal the probes to do so, the resistat is made to be sumbermeged but other cooling thermostats are not.

If it doesn't have an auto reset LMK and I'll begin explaining how to replace the chillers internal thermostat assembly with a ranco thermostat, more of a PITA if you are not that mechanically inclined. I'm betting the chilller has an auto reset....what brand is it?

G

green guy

From what you wrote I understand there is a problem with the thermostat on the chiller and it doesn't shut off when it is supposed to....so the water is over cooled.

There are a couple of ways to fix this, lets try the easiest first. If you turn on the chiller, unplug it, and the plug it back in does it reset and turn back on? Or do you manually have to turn it back on? If you don't have to manually reset it you can get a hydro innovations resistat to do the job, it has a sealed external probe you drop in the water and its good for 15 amps. Simply plug the resistat in the wall and plug the chiller in to the resistat, the controller willl turn on and off the chiller according to the setpoint. You can use other brands of cooling thermostats too but you would have to seal the probes to do so, the resistat is made to be sumbermeged but other cooling thermostats are not.

If it doesn't have an auto reset LMK and I'll begin explaining how to replace the chillers internal thermostat assembly with a ranco thermostat, more of a PITA if you are not that mechanically inclined. I'm betting the chilller has an auto reset....what brand is it?

Hydrofarm. Active Aqua Chiller model AACH25. 1/4 hp.

Top Bottom