• Thread starter Northernpop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Northernpop

Northernpop

Advise please   50w cob led aluminium heatsinks
Advise please   50w cob led aluminium heatsinks 2
Hey guys,

Please can anyone advise If this heatsink will sufficiently cool a 50w cob led? The measurements are:

150 x 69 x 36mm/5.91 x 2.72 x 1.42 inch (L x W x H)

I'm avoiding fans at all cost.

Cheers !!

"The whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts!"

Toaster79

Toaster79

This heatsink is not designed for fan-less applications. Fins are to close together to allow for natural convection. Have a look at pin fin heatsinks.

ozman

ozman

I agree on the heatsink. I have 14 50 watt cobs going in my little 2x4 tent no fans
Just natural convection and my fan that I had before cobs. I have no more heat issues like I did with my hps.
I get all my materials on eBay from China then do the rest of the work myself.
Need more info holler.

sixstring

sixstring

This heatsink is not designed for fan-less applications. Fins are to close together to allow for natural convection. Have a look at pin fin heatsinks.

I agree with toast but also think if I had one I would try a cob on it and see what happens with temps at a dimmed power like 35 to 40w.if it holds below 130f after an hour I would keep raising the power till ya hit 50w or exceed 130f.i think a fan above these blowing down towards the plants will keep them all cool.ya need a fan in the growspace anyways to move air,might as well have it blowing past those heatsinks.but I would not use the fan for initial testing.

sixstring

sixstring

What is the plate thickness where the fins come up.i see the width x length and also fin height.but I don't see the plate thickness.

ozman

ozman

Dont know about his cobs but mine self regulate their wattage so they dont burn up.mine get pretty warm at initial start but after a few hours the heatsink is cool enough to touch and not get burned,its warm but its not hot and after they get settled in they run at almost 50 watts according to my killawatt meter. When i get home and lights on i will take some pics of my Frankenstein cob setup and the killowatt readings.
I was really against leds but the more i read the more i liked so im in the middle of my first run with led cobs oh mine are full spectrum. The onions luv the light and so do the girls at the moment.

Top Bottom