Air Stone In Soil?

• Thread starter ftwendy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ftwendy

ftwendy

Hey Cap, have you ever used an air stone or other mode of delivering air directly to your soil, or coco? I know some people have tried it with mixed results, but was wondering about your experience.

Thanks man.ftw

ftwendy

ftwendy

What about burying a soaker hose, the ones with porous walls, maybe coiled? I wonder if an air pump would be necessary...

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

I'm in the process of making a soil bed with a sealed drip pan i can pump air into to force air up through the soil . ill have stainless steel expanded metal at the bottom of the bed with peat fabric on top of the expanded metal, hopefully ill be able to set this up on a timer with drippers and water several times a day. well see

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Never done it. Thought about it, but never done it. Let us know how it goes!

ftwendy

ftwendy

Never done it. Thought about it, but never done it. Let us know how it goes!

Bueno, thanks Cap! I'll start dreaming up a few configurations and run something testing the idea this summer. Seems like a simple improvement.

Is it possible to overdo it with oxygen?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Bueno, thanks Cap! I'll start dreaming up a few configurations and run something testing the idea this summer. Seems like a simple improvement.

Is it possible to overdo it with oxygen?

Yep. Run pure oxygen and bump your atmospheric pressure up by a factor of three. At that point, oxygen will kill everything! ...anything less is just helpin' 'em breathe.

waayne

waayne

I know people will actively aerate their hydroton beds at the bottom of hempy style buckets. Seems to work for them.

I've had very good results doing this with chow mix.......

I never experienced the same kind of results in organic soil though.......
I've tried airstones and micro pore diffusers hooked to aquarium / air pumps ,but never
experienced the positive results I saw doing it with Chow mix ...

I have to say though I've always liked the idea of adding more oxygen to a soil plants root system ,but I've never found a practical way of achieving it.....

Hopefully you will, and we''ll all learn something

Good Luck ftwendy!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

What ever distributing source you use I would stick close to the bottom and sandwich with perlite or something really porous and nice for Bennies !!!! Have fun with this I have done this at the bottom of hempy bucket approach with a holey hose with plug at end on bottom with perlite two inches of water and the rest of the the bucket was 50/50 perlite coco I watered every two to three days but some needed water every day .... The more mature the plants the more individualized watering and feeding became!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Might want to monogrow for this one, whatever you decide good luck and ill be tuning for sures!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Might as well use that oxygen you pump in to help maintain desired soil temps.....

ftwendy

ftwendy

Wheels are spinning here.... what if I did a chow mix consisting of coco and peat, chunked up with hydroton and/or perlite -- then added the air??

Like you're saying cave, I think the air will make the biggest impact near the bottom (gravity, water), but I think I need to be sure the air source can drain since it might fill with runoff. Maybe just vertical tubes that run from above soil and out through the bottom with many small holes, or large holes with screens? Like columns, maybe linked like a manifold.

Waayne... thanks for posting your experiences......I'm just guessing, but maybe the reason this doesn't make a huge difference in soil is b/c of compaction? Just a thought. Maybe if I did a stone with a pocket of perlite surrounding it, placed a couple inches beneath the transplant. I sometimes find that the core of my pots is the least populated by roots (most shoots head to the sides and bottom), and assumed it was b/c of the lack of o2 in the middle of the container... noticing this is how I got to thinking about adding the stone.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Wheels are spinning here.... what if I did a chow mix consisting of coco and peat, chunked up with hydroton and/or perlite -- then added the air??

Like you're saying cave, I think the air will make the biggest impact near the bottom (gravity, water), but I think I need to be sure the air source can drain since it might fill with runoff. Maybe just vertical tubes that run from above soil and out through the bottom with many small holes, or large holes with screens? Like columns, maybe linked like a manifold.

Waayne... thanks for posting your experiences......I'm just guessing, but maybe the reason this doesn't make a huge difference in soil is b/c of compaction? Just a thought. Maybe if I did a stone with a pocket of perlite surrounding it, placed a couple inches beneath the transplant. I sometimes find that the core of my pots is the least populated by roots (most shoots head to the sides and bottom), and assumed it was b/c of the lack of o2 in the middle of the container... noticing this is how I got to thinking about adding the stone.

keep the air pump above the pots and you will not have to worry about the drainage.

waayne

waayne

ftwendy I believe compaction and soil density may be the reason that the extra oxygenation
was not really noticeable in my soil grown plants
The airier more porous mix's of perlite,coco ,and hydroton seem to allow for more oxygen dispersion throughout the media

I have thought of adding about three levels of diffusers/airstones in the larger soil containers
IE: one near the bottom ,another about 1/3 of the way and another about 2/3's of the way to
the soil surface........
I've never done this ,but wondered if that would help disperse the oxygen more efficiently
in the soil...?

You pocket of perlite idea may help with oxygen dispersion throughout the soil

I always placed my diffuser or airstones near the bottom of the containers
They were positioned in the 3 inches of hydroton I put in the bottom of the containers
They may be more efficient and productive if placed more near the middle of the container

Good luck experimenting ftwendy

Top Bottom