Akmango F2 Pheno Hunt

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

A fellow grower was running some of my AKMango seeds.
He was new to farming, and failed to identify male plants among his garden.
The resulting seeds were exactly the genetics I wanted, but the plants were harvested early and the seeds look immature.
Akmango f2 pheno hunt

I put six seeds on wet paper towel and got five sprouts.
Akmango f2 pheno hunt 2

Four are above ground. (look closely for the green cotyledons)

So the quest is on.
I will grow these in an outdoor tent for what remains of the interior Alaska summer sun.

Part if this project is the creation of more of this f2 seed.
Just put a male in the flower room to kick off pollen production.
In the same flowering cycle are two females who should be synced for breeding.

This thread will likely contain documentary photography of anthers and swollen calyxes. (or is it calyxi?)

And before Christmas we should get a first look at what she has to offer.

The AKMango f1 seeds are remarkably stable, and reliably yield large, first rate flowers.
There is a purple phenotype that is otherwise no different.

My hope is that the f2 seeds are also stable, but further selective breeding is expected along the way.

For the origin story on AKMango see:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/got-a-nevilles-haze-male-in-preflower.57127/

Tank707

Tank707

Definitely gonna follow this one. I did the same thing with mango Kush and an og cut I had. Strong Stoney og affect but super sweet loud smell.

Dunge

Dunge

42 day seedling report:
20160821 184031

20160821 184117

Just brought them inside after tent growing outside under the Fairbanks Alaska summer sun.
This has been a very wet summer, but no bad cold spells.
None have shown sex yet.
I will cull males and grow out all females in my next cycle, which starts in three weeks.
I would rather not up-pot any males.

And that effort to jump start pollen production worked well.
For a few weeks he sat in on the end of a flowering cycle, then stayed put until I feared he would pollinate my new round.
Put him back outside and attempted to drag him into the darker places for 12 hours each day.
Eventually he busted out hard, and I can see that I have seeds growing, and have bags of pollen.
20160821 185557

The dark color comes from using news print for collection.
The brown looks like a storage fail.
I didn't do anything to the fresh pollen but attempt to clean it up, then seal it in plastic.
The looks of these are not good and I don't expect it to be viable.
20160821 185728

The male is sitting out in the yard and seems spent.

Putting a male in with the end of one cycle and the start of another to get pollen looks to have worked well, and I plan to so it again.

Last edited:
Dunge

Dunge

All those bags of pollen were not viable.
At this writing, one and a half years later, my records show the harvest weight of three AKMango f2 plants.
The product was not seen by me as any different than the f1s.
My excuse for not recording these results is that I forgot about this thread.
I have yet to figure out how to move this project forward, and I'm distracted by a number of other breeding projects that are more within my reach from an infrastructure position.
If I can build some pollen storage skills, I will revisit this effort.
Until then, auto Mango F3 is on for summer 2018, s1 seeds from keepers need growing, and crossing the AKMango pollen to keepers is yielding beautiful seeds.
The easy crosses are producing great seeds, and so much easier to pull off.
I plan to grow a bunch of AKMango f2 seeds this summer, but I then get one shot at selection and crossing for a September flower cycle start.

Progress is slow, but it is progress.

Dunge

Dunge

These are the seedlings that are scheduled to go under 12/12 lights in my basement in early September.
20180630 105144

Got 100% germination from my f1 lines (upper row) and less so in the f2 seeds. There is also a clear size difference.

I feel more confidant in pollen preservation, so I should be able to chase out this line on any of these f2s that are standouts using f1 pollen.
Or perhaps get f2 pollen off of good males in this lot for an f3 line of seeds.

Dunge

Dunge

20180711 134536

All six lines are segregated to make selection observations more easy to make.
Thus far, no sex identification yet, but growth is on schedule.
( The previously posted picture is actually a week older than the post, so growth has not been as explosive as depicted. I used that pic because it most clearly shows the germination rate for all lines.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom