Am I Doing This Correctly??

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

ok, i harvested my plants. I hung them in a dark closet for 9 days at a temp of 72 degrees and i kept the humidity between 45% and 55%. I then took the buds off the stems and placed in jars one week ago. I also added boveda humidity packs 62%. I have been burping every other day. Now my problem is this. They do not smell dank at all at this point. They smelled nice when i harvested. But along the drying process it lost its smell. Someone told me they should be smelling dank from day 1. I have also heard it could take up to 2months of curing before they are ready. So when do these buds start smelling good? Did i fuck up the drying process somehow? Everyone says its easy but this is my second grow and This is where i fucked up the first time. Please help!! Will my buds start smelling better? Should they have been dank the entire time drying??

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Did i fuck up the drying process somehow

Yes, a little.

9 days at a temp of 72 degrees and i kept the humidity between 45% and 55%

Too long and too low my friend. 55% is the lower limit.
Once a bud reaches 55% it's ability to cure is lost.
Re-moistening is not an option. To cure properly, the level needs to be between 55 and 69 percent in the bud. If over 69%, it will go moldy.

Here, when the RH is 60% and the temp is 80 F., it seldom takes more than 4 days to dry enough for jarring.
Our RH can be >70% for weeks so I need to be cautious.

My solution is small, accurate RH meters. I wait until the lower buds snap from the main stem when i hold the bud and rotate the stem. (If it pulls a string, it's still too wet.)
Then I put one meter in the jar and one on the shelf next to the jar,
After 24 hours, if the inside meter reads ~60%, I put it in storage and wait. If it;s too close to 70% I either burp, or not depending on the outside meter.
If I screw up, and it's under 55%, I know it's not repairable, so I just dry it completely and make hashish, then RSO.
Nothing need be wasted.
The jars that cure at ~60% get mellow and fragrant.

Aloha,
Wee 'zard

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

What does the humidity read inside the jar without the boveda? It’s possible it’s not over dry but I have heard of the bobeda stripping some smell away. I don’t know for sure as I have never used one but the quality of your bud may not be affected. May just have lost some smell. Not ideal but not the end of the world.

mikeb437

mikeb437

Yes, a little.

I was reading somewhere that the optimal humidity should be in between 45 and 55% and the optimal temperature should be in between 55 and 65 degrees. What are the proper numbers if these are wrong??

Re-moistening is not an option. To cure properly, the level needs to be between 55 and 69 percent in the bud. If over 69%, it will go moldy.

Here, when the RH is 60% and the temp is 80 F., it seldom takes more than 4 days to dry enough for jarring.

My solution is small, accurate RH meters. I wait until the lower buds snap from the main stem when i hold the bud and rotate the stem. (If it pulls a string, it's still too wet.)
After 24 hours, if the inside meter reads ~60%, I put it in storage and wait. If it;s too close to 70% I either burp, or not depending on the outside meter.
If I screw up, and it's under 55%, I know it's not repairable, so I just dry it completely and make hashish, then RSO.
Nothing need be wasted.

Aloha,
Wee 'zard

the rrock

the rrock

Why would you use these humidity packs,never even heard of them and ive been growing for 39 years continually.Is it to add moisture to overdry bud or just for to add to curing bud?

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Sadly adding moisture t
Why would you use these humidity packs,never even heard of them and ive been growing for 39 years continually.Is it to add moisture to overdry bud or just for to add to curing bud?

Sadly, adding moisture to over-dry buds will not restart curing.
Might make it easier to roll and make it a tad less harsh, but curing is no longer an option.

The Boveda pack is a handy tool for calibrating your meters.
When I pull a meter from the jar, I seal it in a jar with a 60% Boveda pack. If it has drifted, to say, 58%. I write +2 on it.
My meters are not adjustable. If yours are, use a Boveda pack to set them.
So far. all of my Accurite RH meters stay within 2 percentage points. :)
Aloha,
Weeze

S

Shawnery

A bovada pack should be able to bring your buds back up yo the right humidity. I can personally say with experience from my last grow that boveda packs can fix the problem. The smell may not come back though. Some people have said they've lost scent using Boveda but I did not have that issue.

I am new to all this still but this was my experience last time but I use a CV vault if it makes a difference.

DGP

DGP

Dont give up on it. I have had the lost smell thing happen and I have also had the hay smell happen and in both cases the buds did slowly regain some of the smell. I have found it quite typical for the smell to change over even a month or more long period. Some strains I have had will go from quite fragrant or almost no smell and back to a different smell in the end.

My dry time has been pretty much been 4-5 days followed by burping the jars daily or even 2-3 times a day depending on the humidity (trying to be super careful about mold).

Dee

Monster762

Monster762

Dont give up on it. I have had the lost smell thing happen and I have also had the hay smell happen and in both cases the buds did slowly regain some of the smell. I have found it quite typical for the smell to change over even a month or more long period. Some strains I have had will go from quite fragrant or almost no smell and back to a different smell in the end.

My dry time has been pretty much been 4-5 days followed by burping the jars daily or even 2-3 times a day depending on the humidity (trying to be super careful about mold).

Dee
Good advice. Pretty much my schedule too. works good. I run a cool(65-70) degrees max with around 60% humidity. Still around 5 days to dry The air conditioner is a dehumidifier so by keeping cool with ac it dries even with higher humidity. I do not blow air right on buds. Now if they seem wet wet after few days I’ll put closer to fan for few hours. Then move back away. But about 5 days then I’ll trim all the larger stalks off n jar. Sometimes have to take back out the jar for a day but let the moisture even out good first.
Oh and I tried freeze dry.
as a test recently Ok for a test nug but for a harvest I advise not to shortcut it in any way.

Ar.BsG

Ar.BsG

On my last grow 2 days after harvest all Bud lost smell but now 2 weeks into cure smelling really earthy, and pungent smell again. Give it time if everything was done correctly you will still have some decent smoke ..

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
ok, i harvested my plants. I hung them in a dark closet for 9 days at a temp of 72 degrees and i kept the humidity between 45% and 55%. I then took the buds off the stems and placed in jars one week ago. I also added boveda humidity packs 62%. I have been burping every other day. Now my problem is this. They do not smell dank at all at this point. They smelled nice when i harvested. But along the drying process it lost its smell. Someone told me they should be smelling dank from day 1. I have also heard it could take up to 2months of curing before they are ready. So when do these buds start smelling good? Did i fuck up the drying process somehow? Everyone says its easy but this is my second grow and This is where i fucked up the first time. Please help!! Will my buds start smelling better? Should they have been dank the entire time drying??
You need to go by feel not day for the hanging part(you probably went too long) When the stem feels like a soda straw... bends not snaps and feels light and hollow. The bud will feel crunchy but it has a little sponge to it. Dont do paper bags or bodiva packs as both can screw up smell. My buddy swears by them and his pot jars smell NOT GREAT. But magically when you take a bud out of his jar and leave it on a table for a day then the smell comes back when its broken up. I absolutely hate that hay/chlorophyll smell and taste because it means you just messed up months of work hahaha

DGP

DGP

Good advice. Pretty much my schedule too. works good. I run a cool(65-70) degrees max with around 60% humidity. Still around 5 days to dry The air conditioner is a dehumidifier so by keeping cool with ac it dries even with higher humidity. I do not blow air right on buds. Now if they seem wet wet after few days I’ll put closer to fan for few hours. Then move back away. But about 5 days then I’ll trim all the larger stalks off n jar. Sometimes have to take back out the jar for a day but let the moisture even out good first.
Oh and I tried freeze dry.
as a test recently Ok for a test nug but for a harvest I advise not to shortcut it in any way.

I agree with what you are saying and I use feel (like GT21 said). I feel the buds to see how squishy they are. I also don't wait for the stems to snap clean because at that point the buds will be way too dry (again just like GT21 said). If anything I try to make the mistake of jarring too early. Often I take em out of the jar for a few hours until I feel like it is safe to leave em in the jars and just burp them once or even twice a day.

Dee

mikeb437

mikeb437

Yes, a little.

Nothing need be wasted.

Aloha,
Wee 'zard
I took the boveda packs out and just left the humidity reader in the jars. Buds are around 61% rh. Gonna leave the boveda’s out and just see what happens. Got another grow going so back to the drawing board!

Top Bottom