Badass bulbs

• Thread starter tokinupon1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
guyonthecouch

guyonthecouch

"badass". LOL! I bought two of their "badass blades" figure 8 wall fans. What a joke. Both stopped moving left to right after two runs. I took them back to the shop where I got them and they said every one of the units they sold had been returned. I know people like AN but my personal experiences have been all bad (i.e. sensi-zyme that had a "manufacturing problem" in 2006, connoisseur line that precipitated out after 30 days of sitting on a concrete floor when the temp never went out of the 70 to 80f range, these shitty fans, etc..). The sensi-zyme issue cost me big time.

For bulbs, I really like the lumatek high-par bulbs.

Horti's are good but seem to degrade heavily after one run. I get three to four out of the high-pars. your mileage may vary. peace

juniorgrower

juniorgrower

Thank you guyonthecouch that is exactly what I was told by the grow store dude!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'd really love to see this lil study done without having gavita/phillips responsible as the author of that graph. I mean the phillips and ofcourse the gavita are 1st and 2nd, which they might just be, but would love to see an independent third party graph of the results, fwiw
Another thing is that top phillips bulb says it is a 1000W bulb but it has results on the 600-750 watt boxes? I know I just woke up but that seems odd, but I do use Ushio and they are high enough on there to make that graph seem legit...lol

If not Gavita- or GE, or Philips-then who? I don't see a lot of people jumping up to do this kind of research without having any interest in the industry? By the way, the lower power parts of the graph are the umol readings of the same bulbs run at lower power settings, not smaller bulbs. This is the reason why the efficiency numbers drop going to the left. In other words, you're getting less light for your electricity.

As an aside, in other research I've done around lighting, don't believe the old saw about underdriving your bulbs being a way to get them to last longer, as the opposite is the case. MH bulbs are much more susceptible to damage and accelerated lumen depreciation when run at low power settings, but apparently all HID bulbs are vulnverable to some degree.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
please keep us informed if you do it, would be even cooler to run a side by side..
hey fellas i just did a run with badass in my magnum xxxl ocho hoods...they did pretty good, but next round i have eye horts for the xxxl ocho hoods..im interested to see how they compare ;)

ttystikk

ttystikk

please keep us informed if you do it, would be even cooler to run a side by side..

Heh, Heh, Heh... you know you're talking to the guy who made a light rotator out of an old mountain bike, right? ..and the bathroom fixture light array with 24 CFLs in it? Once I get my grimy mitts on a 1000DE system, you can bet I'll be doing all worts of testing with it! And it won't be a long wait.

And of course I'll stick my fool neck out and tell it like I see it on the Farm here- the light rotator thread got to be a bumpy ride for a bit, but I'm not afraid of dissenters as long as they bring logical arguments and keep the conversation respectful.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Im not sure why there isnt more grows or reports on the gavita lights, They seem a big step forward from there claims, and they have been out for a while in the us. I havent seen a simple light meter test done, But you see people do them for all the hoods.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Im not sure why there isnt more grows or reports on the gavita lights, They seem a big step forward from there claims, and they have been out for a while in the us. I havent seen a simple light meter test done, But you see people do them for all the hoods.

You raise a good point- the info I have is what I'd call subjective but reliable, coming as it has from people who bought them to replace everything from VHO T5 setups to LED to standard 1kW HPS lighting. All said it was hands down the best light they'd ever used in their grows, some complained about the heat- but then those were the LED guys who maybe weren't ready for the extra heat load.

Everyone has a special interest in this hobby, and mine is gear for growing environments. No one has quibbled with Gavita's published numbers, and they're impressive; 15-30% more efficient than any screw-in type HID and a lousy 5% lumen loss after THREE YEARS?! Screw-ins lose that much just over the first run! Light spectrum is superior if more or less similar to standard HPS. I get that they are more expensive up front (roughly the same as a top shelf reflector, bulb and digital ballast setup), but you can save the cost of the whole thing in bulb replacements alone- seriously. AND, you can save the cost of the system in terms of electricity saved over three years. AND, you cover the cost of the system due to the increased yield it provides- on the very first run. Suddenly, it sounds like a bargain to me...

chazbolin

chazbolin

I was up at the Maximum Yield show in San Fran last month hoping to score a show special or something. Alas it was not to be. Just curious are you running the Gavita LEP all the way through flower without the HPS lamp they were recommended be ran with the LEP for better flowering? If you don't actually need that HPS lamp than it is alot less watts to run.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

I was up at the Maximum Yield show in San Fran last month hoping to score a show special or something. Alas it was not to be. Just curious are you running the Gavita LEP all the way through flower without the HPS lamp they were recommended be ran with the LEP for better flowering? If you don't actually need that HPS lamp than it is alot less watts to run.
now why would you want a show-special on such inferior tech when you could just run a bunch of your induction lights and yield 3x as much as hps and lep combined? (wet weight of course)

hey guys, i just 'happened to' blahblahblah, and then i 'just got an email' from indagro with internal links you should all go hit so i can cop your ip addresses and compare with my google analytics to figure out who i'm fooling. and then i just 'happened to notice' some videos on youtube where the indagro guys pretend one of their employees is a 'client' testing the lights. oh and then i 'just happened' to be all up in some threads on rollitup pimping the same shilly shit. here, let me copy/paste and pretend i'm unbiased/non-affiliated, etc, etc..

M

Motherhugger

Sigh. Some people are so immature when it comes to 'giving advice' about things. I would love to hear people's actual experiences about Baddass bulbs, rather than some snarky comments about the pouch they come in. Really? Last I checked, that actually wasn't something that would impact your grow....and if it does, you're definitely doing something wrong. LOL

I think the AN Baddass bulbs are awesome, from what I've seen. I'm slowly adding them to my grow setup and can't wait til they shine on my babies.

I

indoorherbs

Poop jokes? What is this, kindergarten?

I've seen exactly zero evidence of any of this crap people are saying. My Baddass Blades are still running perfectly, their bulbs are definitely pumping out more light, and I can really tell the difference when I run them on the Baddass Ballast. I have NO complaints and don't actually know anyone who does. The only place I see it is a few people online.

M

Mr Bennett

Just figured I would throw my opinion out there. I bought a badass 1000w bulb to run saved 20 bucks vs my usual hortilux bulb. Im running it side by side with a hortilux eye that had 1 harvest on it. I use 2 nextgen ballasts and I will have to say I'm not impressed. The packaging is nice but I will be switching back to hortilux buds just don't seem to be swelling like my hortilux side and I even swapped a few plants and the hortilux side is doing better. Now I'm no advanced hater I use a ton of there products. But my opinion is unless you saving by buying a badass bulb and really need the cash I wouldn't buy one.
i bought one as did my buddy.we bought them local not off line,for the 1 year return they have.good thing too.mine went out after three weeks,just flickered.my buddys BLEW UP two days ago,after three months.we are not new to growing,it was the bulbs fault both times.i dont care what bulb you buy,i am not a salesman.but i would stay away from these bulbs.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Poop jokes? What is this, kindergarten?

I've seen exactly zero evidence of any of this crap people are saying. My Baddass Blades are still running perfectly, their bulbs are definitely pumping out more light, and I can really tell the difference when I run them on the Baddass Ballast. I have NO complaints and don't actually know anyone who does. The only place I see it is a few people online.
Are you aware they discontinued all the equipment line? Just like they did the first time they tried this...lol Hard to b.s. people with equipment, bottled nutrients however is a whole other beast with varied outcomes due to growers skill level and environment. Equipment just aint their thing, two times and they floundered both times.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
FWIW I bought multiple badass ballasts and returned them due to the hum the bulbs were making only under those hoods that were connected to bad butt ballasts. The meter didn't prove any brighter, I gave them a try. Didn't match up to my Quantum ballys and now Matrix...

washburn4life

washburn4life

I have been using the philips 1000W MH, phillips 1000W HPS, and phillips 1000W Grow HPS
I think they all work about the same and if I had to chose a best it would be the 1000W MH, i pay $40 for these and dont see a reason to switch to a hortalux i avrage alittle more then a lb a light

Hydrone

Hydrone

I have been using the philips 1000W MH, phillips 1000W HPS, and phillips 1000W Grow HPS
I think they all work about the same and if I had to chose a best it would be the 1000W MH, i pay $40 for these and dont see a reason to switch to a hortalux i avrage alittle more then a lb a light
that’s impressive for a MH! good work

Top Bottom