Base Soil And Amendments Noob

• Thread starter jonnyonthespotaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

hey everybody..sooooo..I'm gonna do an outddor organic grow for everything this year in my garden..there is a wealth of info here and on the web and I'm having a hard time figuring out what's what..I have ordered teaming with microbes and nutrients and gonna order the new edition of TLO..my ? Is does this sound like a good base soil?

30% sphagnum peat moss
30% worm castings
25% chunky perlite
15% mushroom compost

I've read so much on what to add and not to add for amendments and then there's conflicting advice on that lol..I also would like to use teas throughout the plants life as simple but as nutritious and beneficial as possible..I also plan putting some sort of mulch on top..suggestions for that would b great..and I've also heard great things about caps..any and all info and advice would b greatly appreciated..peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That looks more like a soilless potting mix to me, there's no mineral content in it. I personally would make the compost the larger portion instead of the peat, and I would probably divide the peat with coco coir or composted forest humus, something like that. Then I'd start adding in rock dusts, a lot of them. I would also eliminate entirely the perlite, it's not needed if you can replace it with rice hulls. I find rice hulls FAR superior to perlite as a soil amendment.

Beyond that, how deeply have you dug into slausongarden's thread "a few different soil mixes" as well as our other threads here? You might want to look at Bulldog11's thread on the Coot recipe.

jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

So could I go..
30% worm castings
30% mushroom compost
10% peat
10% coir

Instead of rice hulls or perlite could I use DE as my aeration?

I know u said there was no minerals but I was thinking of that as just my base soil and then adding my amendments like the rock dusts and whatnot..I'm in the process of gettin that list together and amounts..once I do I'll post it up and c what u think..thank u for the advice and input I know u r well respected around here and take ur knowledge to heart..thanks again..peace

jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

So I kinda figured out the amendments to the soil I'd like to add..anything that shouldn't b on ere or should b added plz feel free to share any and all advice..I would add this to 1 cf of soil..
1/4 c. Sul-Po-Mag
3/4 c. of each neem meal/kelp meal/crab meal/alfalfa meal/green sand
1/2 c. azomite
4 c. minerals mixed in this ratio..
4x glacial rock dust
1x bentonite
1x oyster shell powder
1x basalt
What is ur take on adding fish bone meal and some sort of seed mix..cottonseed/flax etc and biochar..I would also like to incorporate Og biowar..

I was thinking of also adding 5% topsoil to the basemix

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So could I go..
30% worm castings
30% mushroom compost
10% peat
10% coir

Instead of rice hulls or perlite could I use DE as my aeration?

I know u said there was no minerals but I was thinking of that as just my base soil and then adding my amendments like the rock dusts and whatnot..I'm in the process of gettin that list together and amounts..once I do I'll post it up and c what u think..thank u for the advice and input I know u r well respected around here and take ur knowledge to heart..thanks again..peace
If it's in pieces, I would think yes. If it's the powder, no.

I think what's happening here is an issue of terminology--we each think of something slightly different when we think "soil." Let me link you to what I think of as "soil."

So I kinda figured out the amendments to the soil I'd like to add..anything that shouldn't b on ere or should b added plz feel free to share any and all advice..I would add this to 1 cf of soil..
1/4 c. Sul-Po-Mag
3/4 c. of each neem meal/kelp meal/crab meal/alfalfa meal/green sand
1/2 c. azomite
4 c. minerals mixed in this ratio..
4x glacial rock dust
1x bentonite
1x oyster shell powder
1x basalt
What is ur take on adding fish bone meal and some sort of seed mix..cottonseed/flax etc and biochar..I would also like to incorporate Og biowar..

I was thinking of also adding 5% topsoil to the basemix
I like the mix, but I think it needs more Ca. Gypsum is a pH-neutral form of Ca. Cal-Phos would add both Ca and P, so it's another one to consider. I can't recall what the minerals are that you get in glacial rock dust vs greensand, but I thought there were kinda the same, I'll have to double check. And I think you may need to add another carbonate source besides the oyster shell powder here, I think slightly increasing the oyster or crab shell would work fine for the most part.

jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

Ur right on the soil..I should have said base mix not soil lol..so here is an updated recipe and would love ur input and advice on it..

Base mix would b..
25% EWC
25% Mushroom Compost
20% DE
10% Peat
10% Coir
5% Topsoil
5% Biochar

To the mix I would add..
1/4 c. Sul-Po-Mag
3/4 c. each Neem/Kelp/Crab/Alfalfa
1/2 c. Azomite
1 c. Gypsum (what kind?)
1 c. Fish Bone Meal
4 c. Minerals mixed to this ratio..
4x Glacial Rock Dust
1x Bentonite
2x Oyster Shell Powder
1x Basalt
1c. Seed Meal mixed to this ratio..
1x Canola
1x Cottonseed
1x Flax

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I like it! As far as I know, there's only one kind of gypsum--CaSO4. Or are you asking about form? I only have the powdered gypsum on hand, if there's prilled... I'm not sure of the utility of prilled here.

jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

I like it! As far as I know, there's only one kind of gypsum--CaSO4. Or are you asking about form? I only have the powdered gypsum on hand, if there's prilled... I'm not sure of the utility of prilled here.

Awesome I'm glad u like it!!the only thing I'm rly having trouble tracking down is the bentonite?any suggestions?also I think I will b top dressing with EWC and straw..does that sound ok?should I top dress with any guanos or anything else?can I also pick ur brain on teas or could I pm u with some questions?thanks again for everything..much appreciated..peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Straw will fix N while it decomposes, so do be cognizant of that. Bentonite, online? That's where I'd look.

As far as what you should be doing in the future, be sure to have on hand some form of all necessary nutrients. Is this going to be indoors or out? That kind of colors how I would handle things, as I really prefer soil for OD. Teas are going to be your friend, but also remember that many things can indeed be top-dressed. How something is applied is very much a function of how quickly you do or don't need it to act.

I'm not the tea queen here, Capulator is. :p

jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

Straw will fix N while it decomposes, so do be cognizant of that. Bentonite, online? That's where I'd look.

As far as what you should be doing in the future, be sure to have on hand some form of all necessary nutrients. Is this going to be indoors or out? That kind of colors how I would handle things, as I really prefer soil for OD. Teas are going to be your friend, but also remember that many things can indeed be top-dressed. How something is applied is very much a function of how quickly you do or don't need it to act.

I'm not the tea queen here, Capulator is. :p

This will b outdoors and hopefully in the future transfer these skills and techniques to indoors..would u recommend top dressing w as many things as necessary or making teas..I don't wanna make this like a set it and forget thing thing cuz I love my plants but do want to make this as easy as possible..thinkng that this is outdoor and gonna b a long term thing I think I would b better off top Dressing?thanks again for everything..peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
First, I recommend doing what works for you. If you prefer working with teas, then do that. If you prefer doing top-dressings, then do that being careful.

EG; top-dressing with guano can cause problems if you allow it to cake (don't scratch it into the soil) and/or become caked up against the main stalk. Teas will probably be a more available form of food than top-dressing in terms of time, but that's the trade-off because top-dressings will last longer than a tea application.

In my world, a combination of techniques is what gets me through the day. Top-dressing what I know they're going to need in the future, but before they need it, and teas when I think a little something more or a quicker boost is needed. Don't forget the regular old root drench/traditional method of feeding.

Top Bottom