Beginner: Lights For A 4x4

• Thread starter VegetaSama
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

VegetaSama

Hello Everyone!

Getting prepped and ready to set up a 4x4 indoor grow. This won’t be my first grow but it will be my first grow. I attempted to grow some mids a few years back with some crap lights just for the sake of growing and I ended up tossing them cause I was paranoid.

But on to the subject of the post.

Was hoping I could receive some advice on lighting for a 4x4 Tent.
I think I’m going to run SoG with a mars ii 1200 led light. Would this be enough? Tried to upload specs but it won’t let me from my phone for some reason.

I know most are familiar with HID so if you think you have a better setup please let me know!

THanks in Advance!

V

VegetaSama

0387D624 9D15 4E1C B5DE 2793C824B3E5
FA27AE9F 3C39 43DD 89A9 2A5D4A92BEA4
ECD94073 D9FE 475A 9515 0F74F59E47D1

DGP

DGP

Before you buy a commercial fixture like the Mars, if you haven't already done so, go to the LED sections of the forums and look at the fixtures people are building from scratch, from a kit or buying similar systems from say Timber or RapidLED.

The reason I say this is it is very easy to build your own fixtures and they will far and away outperform some fixture that is rated at 1200W on Ebay and really draws 200 watts from the wall or some other fraudulently specified/advertised product mostly from China (not that all stuff made in China is bad). The lighting systems I have seen imported in the US from Asia are often some off brand of LED or have the lowest bin performing (rejects) from Cree and other name brands or have unreliable designs or bad thermal systems that allow the LEDs to run way hot and burn up prematurely.

Now, even if you build your own and scrounge up all kind of parts yourself on the cheap it will still very likely cost more than the MArs or similar but the performance will be way better. Also, a COB array will have much more even lighting than the diagram you showed from Mars.

In some ways since you are saying you are a beginner, I wouldn't invest that much in your first grow unless you know for damn sure your going to stay with it. For me it is my favorite hobby and if I could go back several years I would have probably bought way less equipment if I knew what my best choices where at the time but we all bounce off the walls and learn. At the time I started CMH fixtures probably would have been the best choice then I would have moved to LED when the technology was a little better. However, if I started today and knew what I know now I would go LED and fabricate the fixture myself.

Hope my rambling helps, but just for disclosure I have been growing for almost 4 years but still fell like I amin the "heavy learning mode". I have done one cycle in bloom with a COB system and had very nice results. Previously grew with HPS. I have a 4X4 flower area in a 6X4 room and I run a 12 COB area over that 4X4 area. The COBs are running at 50-65w a piece. The fixture is 3 bars of 4 COBs.

Here are some links:

www.cobkits.com

http://ledgardener.com/build-led-grow-light/

P.S. The output spectrum looks really poor to me on the Mars. Do they list a CRI specification? A good CRI (a measurment of the light color quality) is around 80 to 95.

DGP

DGP

I like a 1000w Hortilux HPS for 4 x 4. I also veg with 1.

With a Mr Nice SSH cut I have, I get 20-24oz from 1 plant in a 4 x 4, trained, not topped, in a 20 gallon container with Promix BX every 63 days.
I also ran that light (1k hortilux) before switching to LED. Perfectly workable setup as well. My wife was always on me about the cost of power though. Not the only reason I switched but I do like the efficiency.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

HID is cheap too. I don't worry about the power a few OZs pays for 3 months of light.

Average electric bill for me is around $250 a month. 2 1000w Hortilux on 12 hours.

1 x 1000w Hortilux for veg on 24. 4 fans. If I get 20oz, get rid of 4 at 250, I still have 16 left over, though I use 2 lights so I get at least 40oz every 63 days.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I would also heartily recommend QBs (Quantums)at HLG..they are amazingly efficient and bright as the sun..I run a QB288 (135w true) and 4 of their qb132's (each 75 watts true) currently. I love the Meizhis I own (cheap imports), as well as the More expensive Nextlight Mini I own..but these lights are way Beyond bright..even glancing at one can cause whiteouts for a few minutes..NO KIDDING:cool: Took maybe 30 minutes to set the 1st one up..then..LOL

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I have a 4X4 flower area in a 6X4 room and I run a 12 COB area over that 4X4 area. The COBs are running at 50-65w a piece. The fixture is 3 bars of 4 COBs.

My big gripe about LED/COB ect is the false advertising. Mainly Whatever amount of LED is is equal too whatever amount of HID ect, and the cost.

Ive been growing since 1972, and inside since around 1976, and don't claim to know much, but I do know something.
I got an average of your watts as you say it 50-65 so 115 divided x 2 is 57. At 57w per bulb, and 12 bulb is 684w. In a 4 x 4 that's 42.75w Sq/ft. Which is good.

Ive read that we need 37-50w sq/ft for best growth.

In comparison a 1000w Hortilux is 62.5 in a 4 x 4.

If your growing Hardcore Sativa, long flowering, Id suggest to use 50w Sq/ft, Minimum regardless of light source.

I don't think it matters as much about the source, as much as that you blast them powerfully per sq/ft.

And Intensity does matter. Theres more than just par. At 4 feet a 1000w Hortilux is 90% as bright as at the equator. The light at the equator has crazy intensity, and Infra Red/UVA/UVB.

I also use Powerful UVA/UVB, but that another thing.

DGP

DGP

I have a 4X4 flower area in a 6X4 room and I run a 12 COB area over that 4X4 area. The COBs are running at 50-65w a piece. The fixture is 3 bars of 4 COBs.

My big gripe about LED/COB ect is the false advertising. Mainly Whatever amount of LED is is equal too whatever amount of HID ect, and the cost.

Ive been growing since 1972, and inside since around 1976, and don't claim to know much, but I do know something.
I got an average of your watts as you say it 50-65 so 115 divided x 2 is 57. At 57w per bulb, and 12 bulb is 684w. In a 4 x 4 that's 42.75w Sq/ft. Which is good.

Ive read that we need 37-50w sq/ft for best growth.

In comparison a 1000w Hortilux is 62.5 in a 4 x 4.

If your growing Hardcore Sativa, long flowering, Id suggest to use 50w Sq/ft, Minimum regardless of light source.

I don't think it matters as much about the source, as much as that you blast them powerfully per sq/ft.

And Intensity does matter. Theres more than just par. At 4 feet a 1000w Hortilux is 90% as bright as at the equator. The light at the equator has crazy intensity, and Infra Red/UVA/UVB.

I also use Powerful UVA/UVB, but that another thing.
I want a PAR meter but they are quite spendy.

I can get up to 65W per sq ft at full brightness (brightness is adjustable) so I feel like it is right in the ball park. Also, I wonder about comparing HID numbers to LED numbers cause the efficiency is different so are we really comparing apples to apples? Just wondering......

I liked my hortilux 1k lamp but it made a lot of excess heat that drove my A/C up as well as heat on the plants that I don't have to deal with now. The light distribution is better because in comparing a 1K 4X4 I have 12 sources of light as opposed to one. Seems like if you can get an equivalent overall output then having the light divided and spread out 12 times would be an advantage.

D

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

All I know is I can get at least 20-24oz every 63 days with 1 Mr Nice SSH plant with the Hortilux, and no atmospheric control. I also use the heat of the lamps in the winter.

I also think the Hortilux is so efficient it makes 0 difference in a 4 x 4

V

VegetaSama

@DGP maaaan I really apologize for making you type all that out. An hour or so after I posted this thread I went to the beginner forum and found a post from one of the admins saying don’t be a noob and ask questions without trying to find your answer on a previously posted thread. We are here to help you grow and not do your whole grow. Or something or the sorts...

Then I immediately started searching and seen VIPARSPECTRA is prolly not the way I wanna go and again around the same time I coincidentally found the hortilux 1k bulb and then my mind switch haha.

Now with the hortilux bulb being what I’ll prolly go with cause I’m kinda scared of the LEDS but I honestly would love to build my own fixture in the future. (Cause how bad ass is it to say “yea I use the lights a built from scratch”)

Now I have a question. Found a chart posted by an admin ( sorry man I wanna tag you to give you your props but I’m still a rook on here and can’t find the post! But thank you if you see this) that compared a few lights and the yield labs light had similiar results but like half the price for bulbs. What do you think of them?

73C36DB2 5953 4730 8093 8E00223410DD
V

VegetaSama

Dude! And you’re the man for those links!!! I will be doing thorough research and that is a jump start!

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

All you need is a good strain, good airflow, and a lot of soil.
For production, I would start with Dominion Seed Company

Dominion Skunk for a MOre Sativa

More Indica.

Dominion Granny Skunk, but you will have to veg these 2-3 weeks longer as they don't stretch much

Or Mr Nice Super Silver Haze

All 3 of these strains will get at least 16oz, and more likely 20-24 if vegged large enough, and given a lot of light.

Botton line is.

You only need the right strain(s) good airflow, plenty of light, and soil. That's it. It aint rocket science, and to many try and make it rocket science.

Start out with good beans, good airflow, a lot of soil and light, and the ability to know when to feed, and water. DONE.

Don't overthink it. Ive been doing this since 72, in 1 way or another, and don't mess with minutiae. Its only confusing, and unneeded.

DGP

DGP

@DGP maaaan I really apologize for making you type all that out. An hour or so after I posted this thread I went to the beginner forum and found a post from one of the admins saying don’t be a noob and ask questions without trying to find your answer on a previously posted thread. We are here to help you grow and not do your whole grow. Or something or the sorts...

Then I immediately started searching and seen VIPARSPECTRA is prolly not the way I wanna go and again around the same time I coincidentally found the hortilux 1k bulb and then my mind switch haha.

Now with the hortilux bulb being what I’ll prolly go with cause I’m kinda scared of the LEDS but I honestly would love to build my own fixture in the future. (Cause how bad ass is it to say “yea I use the lights a built from scratch”)

Now I have a question. Found a chart posted by an admin ( sorry man I wanna tag you to give you your props but I’m still a rook on here and can’t find the post! But thank you if you see this) that compared a few lights and the yield labs light had similiar results but like half the price for bulbs. What do you think of them?
No worry, I enjoy the discussions.

I am not quite sure how to compare different HID bulbs but if the spectrum looks the same or similar the only other concern would be reliability/life.

Wouldn't hurt to try one.

D

K

kayah

HID is cheap too. I don't worry about the power a few OZs pays for 3 months of light.

Average electric bill for me is around $250 a month. 2 1000w Hortilux on 12 hours.

1 x 1000w Hortilux for veg on 24. 4 fans. If I get 20oz, get rid of 4 at 250, I still have 16 left over, though I use 2 lights so I get at least 40oz every 63 days.
i know i am laggin, but i about to buy lights for my 4x4 tent...my question is where do i buy the fixtures for the bulbs i only see bulbs on amazon

K

kayah

i know i am laggin, but i about to buy lights for my 4x4 tent...my question is where do i buy the fixtures for the bulbs i only see bulbs on amazon
Ballast, reflector, and bulbs you can mix n match

Top Bottom