Branchy Strains

• Thread starter Friendlyguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

heisen

I think alot has to do with light spectrum and rate of growth.i can take a leggy plant and run lights off temps higher,and low Kelvin light and stunt her ass down or lower light intensity,higher kelvin,and more nitrogen and watch her stretch a mile.but trying to pheno hunt a leggy plant in a pack of seeds,have fun with that.

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

You can train it all
Dont want to pinch anythig. Set back of a week or so isnt what i need atm

Zamaldelica, some phenos refuse to grow main colas due to branching.

That strain sounds great...anyone know who produces the best durban poison?
I have 15ft ceilings i want to blow up something big, real big!
Mulimbimby madness cross would be great!

dan1989

dan1989

So what difference is one week going to make? It's not as if you're gonna be able to predict when they will finish anyway. If you have to rush them, then you're probably better off abandoning the project until a time comes when you don't have to rush them. IMO

Edit: I realise that you want to hear answers to your questions, not reasons why not to. But still, for the sake of a week. Plus all the time you're going to waste chasing something that might not come along.

If you're looking for a quick cash crop, don't fuck around, just stuff the grow space with as many plants as possible and harvest lots of terminal colas instead...just a thought..

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I, and my buddies, also grow large plants, in large containers. 15-50 gallon, and use Promix BX as our Medium, and have for Decades. Ive been growing since 1972, and since 1977-78 inside. Whenever they came out with the Super Nova, and the Octagarden.
I also have the original Isomerizer from 1974/75. I started smoking in 1967. When I was 8.5..... For good, or bad. Ive seen/smoked/grown a lot of different weeds.
We also Veg with 1000w, from seedlings, on up. The sun is way more intense vs a 1000w Hortilux HPS/Gavita 1000w vs the Equator, and add in the Andes and you have insanely bright, and huge UVA/UVB. Equador has the highest UVA/UVB reading ever recorded, and was as HIGH AS HAS BEEN RECORDED FROM LOCATIONS ON MARS. OVER 26 ON THE 1-10 SCALE. At 20,000 feet.

I also agree pinching them sets them back big time, and kills the main growing tip, which I use to my advantage. I can veg my plants less, and rely on the stretch for more branching during the stretch. I would put the set back for at least 2 weeks to get the 2 mains to be close to as thick as the original growing tip was... When it was cut. So now though 2 weeks later, if you leave the growing tip alone it has way more growth in 10-14 days.
Consider if my growing tip is growing 1/2 inch a day, and I cut it off. In 14 days that equals a minimum of another 7 Inches of main tip growth, vs waiting for the 2 main shuts to get any growth ect. Not Worth It To Me. I can also get an 1 inch of growth a day a certain points, and if I cut the tip, I lose many many inches of growth, and secondary branching. For me Ive found that cutting the tip gives 1/3 less production. Minimum.

I train my plants to grow Horizontally for the most part, and also Shake my plants, and bend/shake the secondary branches, but I still don't mess with the growing tips.
I also Do Not Mess With the GROWING TIP, as in reality, you can muck with the tip enough, and it will greatly reduce the growth, and force it down, like topping, but as I said I rely on the growing tip... IF I use a plant that stretches a lot at flowering.
I bend my plants from the Mid, to Upper 80% of the plant, and not the tip, unless I'm trying to slow growth.

For Branchy Plants??

I suggest.

Dominion Seed Company..... Available from USA SeedsHereNow

Dominion Skunk
Granny Skunk
Sis Skunk.
The Granny, and Sis will need a bit more veg vs the Dominion Skunk, as it is Sativa Dominant, but ALL 3 Strains are top of the line as far as a good, complex branching system
Skunk also has 2 Phenos. 1 more like Mommy ( Pole Cat ) and the other like the father. Skelly Hashplant/SSSC Sk1.... SSSC is Super Sativa Seed Club Genetics from the 80s, as is the Clone Only Skelly MOM, also know as the PUCK CUT, and is the most sought after HP cut there is, and has been around since 1989.
If you don't know who SSSC were, you need to research them.... And YEP, this stuff REEKS, and there are RKS Skunk Phenos, but it all stinks to high heavens. Mom of the Skunk is called Pole Cat for a reason.
SSH also deos branch really well, and the right pheno can have tremendous stretch, and is the standard of which I jude all other strains as far as just plant structure is concerned.

The Dominion Gear is more potent though, and takes less time to flower.

Another is Swami Organic Seeds Blue Orca Haze.

It is extremely productive plant, but has many phenos to look through due its varied genetics. The High End Sativa Phenos are IMHO the 1s to look for, but most all of it is really potent, and long lasting. Frost wise, you wont find a more resinous plant, but they can have a long flowering time, but some are shorter ( 60 days ) but most go 70+. This can also be a very Stiff Plant, and training is recommended early on, as it can be as stiff as a pencil, and untrainable as it will snap, instead of bending.
C99 was pretty good weed, but didn't produce nearly enough for be feasible for me.

I have a Minimum of 1 lb per Large Plant, per 1000w Hortilux, and 20 gallons of soil/Promix BX, as the Bare Minimum.

All 3 Dominion Seed Company/Blue Orca Haze will do this, and more, and if you give the shorter phenos a bit more time to veg, to make up for No Stretch, they will easily hit this mark, and more.

I usually have to water 4 gallons per 20 gallons Promix BX, per plant, every 3.5 days when they are really starting to flower, and temps are 78-84 degrees. I don't water until heavy runoff, though some will come out the botton, if there are holes. I also don't need holes ect, as Ive been doing it so long, I can easily gauge what I want to do, and wahts going on with the plants.
I also use a Cheap ( LOWES ) MOISTURE METER, and NEVER LET THE MOISTURE CONTENT GO BELOW LOW MOIST..... NEVER EVER DRY, or 2 the Dry/Low Moist Line. Always slightly above this line.

Last edited:
Monster762

Monster762

Need a great list of strains that branch the most without having to top them. Cindy 99 maybe super silver haze. Besides them post a great list folks. Thanks!
I’m running blotto ogk by mosca and it’s nice n branchy. I did top the main but it was branchy before that. I tied all branches out made plant look like big circle of tops now it’s filling good too.
I’m kinda new but I like the blotto structure. Great for lst and even canopy easily.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I, and my buddies, also grow large plants, in large containers. 15-50 gallon, and use Promix BX as our Medium, and have for Decades. Ive been growing since 1972, and since 1977-78 inside. Whenever they came out with the Super Nova, and the Octagarden.
I also have the original Isomerizer from 1974/75. I started smoking in 1967. When I was 8.5..... For good, or bad. Ive seen/smoked/grown a lot of different weeds.
We also Veg with 1000w, from seedlings, on up. The sun is way more intense vs a 1000w Hortilux HPS/Gavita 1000w vs the Equator, and add in the Andes and you have insanely bright, and huge UVA/UVB. Equador has the highest UVA/UVB reading ever recorded, and was as HIGH AS HAS BEEN RECORDED FROM LOCATIONS ON MARS. OVER 26 ON THE 1-10 SCALE. At 20,000 feet.

I also agree pinching them sets them back big time, and kills the main growing tip, which I use to my advantage. I can veg my plants less, and rely on the stretch for more branching during the stretch. I would put the set back for at least 2 weeks to get the 2 mains to be close to as thick as the original growing tip was... When it was cut. So now though 2 weeks later, if you leave the growing tip alone it has way more growth in 10-14 days.
Consider if my growing tip is growing 1/2 inch a day, and I cut it off. In 14 days that equals a minimum of another 7 Inches of main tip growth, vs waiting for the 2 main shuts to get any growth ect. Not Worth It To Me. I can also get an 1 inch of growth a day a certain points, and if I cut the tip, I lose many many inches of growth, and secondary branching. For me Ive found that cutting the tip gives 1/3 less production. Minimum.

I train my plants to grow Horizontally for the most part, and also Shake my plants, and bend/shake the secondary branches, but I still don't mess with the growing tips.
I also Do Not Mess With the GROWING TIP, as in reality, you can muck with the tip enough, and it will greatly reduce the growth, and force it down, like topping, but as I said I rely on the growing tip... IF I use a plant that stretches a lot at flowering.
I bend my plants from the Mid, to Upper 80% of the plant, and not the tip, unless I'm trying to slow growth.

For Branchy Plants??

I suggest.

Dominion Seed Company..... Available from USA SeedsHereNow

Dominion Skunk
Granny Skunk
Sis Skunk.
The Granny, and Sis will need a bit more veg vs the Dominion Skunk, as it is Sativa Dominant, but ALL 3 Strains are top of the line as far as a good, complex branching system
Skunk also has 2 Phenos. 1 more like Mommy ( Pole Cat ) and the other like the father. Skelly Hashplant/SSSC Sk1.... SSSC is Super Sativa Seed Club Genetics from the 80s, as is the Clone Only Skelly MOM, also know as the PUCK CUT, and is the most sought after HP cut there is, and has been around since 1989.
If you don't know who SSSC were, you need to research them.... And YEP, this stuff REEKS, and there are RKS Skunk Phenos, but it all stinks to high heavens. Mom of the Skunk is called Pole Cat for a reason.
SSH also deos branch really well, and the right pheno can have tremendous stretch, and is the standard of which I jude all other strains as far as just plant structure is concerned.

The Dominion Gear is more potent though, and takes less time to flower.

Another is Swami Organic Seeds Blue Orca Haze.

It is extremely productive plant, but has many phenos to look through due its varied genetics. The High End Sativa Phenos are IMHO the 1s to look for, but most all of it is really potent, and long lasting. Frost wise, you wont find a more resinous plant, but they can have a long flowering time, but some are shorter ( 60 days ) but most go 70+. This can also be a very Stiff Plant, and training is recommended early on, as it can be as stiff as a pencil, and untrainable as it will snap, instead of bending.
C99 was pretty good weed, but didn't produce nearly enough for be feasible for me.

I have a Minimum of 1 lb per Large Plant, per 1000w Hortilux, and 20 gallons of soil/Promix BX, as the Bare Minimum.

All 3 Dominion Seed Company/Blue Orca Haze will do this, and more, and if you give the shorter phenos a bit more time to veg, to make up for No Stretch, they will easily hit this mark, and more.

I usually have to water 4 gallons per 20 gallons Promix BX, per plant, every 3.5 days when they are really starting to flower, and temps are 78-84 degrees. I don't water until heavy runoff, though some will come out the botton, if there are holes. I also don't need holes ect, as Ive been doing it so long, I can easily gauge what I want to do, and wahts going on with the plants.
I also use a Cheap ( LOWES ) MOISTURE METER, and NEVER LET THE MOISTURE CONTENT GO BELOW LOW MOIST..... NEVER EVER DRY, or 2 the Dry/Low Moist Line. Always slightly above this line.
Pinching does not kill the main growing tip... face palm

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Topping does. Topping was mentioned above, and any type of manipulation slows them down. YMMV. Not a fan of mucking with the growing tip any any way, shape, or form. I can slow the plant from growing by over bending the growing tip, if I muck with it 3-4 times a day.

All I can say is with this method, the right plant, and time of year ( I don't use atmospheric control except good air flow ) I get up to 2lbs per 1000w Hortilux HPS with 2 plants of Super Silver Haze, each plant in 20 gallon containers, is really easy to do, and very little work.
With 1 x 1000w Gavita I can pull 2.75 - 3 lbd per 5 x 6 area at 38- 40 inches, and 4 plants, in 20 gallon containers. Hortilux is basically good for 4 x 4 at 20-24 inches

Last edited:
Monster762

Monster762

Topping does. Topping was mentioned above, and any type of manipulation slows them down. YMMV. Not a fan of mucking with the growing tip any any way, shape, or form. I can slow the plant from growing by over bending the growing tip, if I muck with it 3-4 times a day.

All I can say is with this method, the right plant, and time of year ( I don't use atmospheric control except good air flow ) I get up to 2lbs per 1000w Hortilux HPS with 2 plants of Super Silver Haze, each plant in 20 gallon containers, is really easy to do, and very little work.
With 1 x 1000w Gavita I can pull 2.75 - 3 lbd per 5 x 6 area at 38- 40 inches, and 4 plants, in 20 gallon containers. Hortilux is basically good for 4 x 4 at 20-24 inches
Idk about that. manipulation is everything.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I do manipulate them by Bending them, shaking them, and in general making the plant stronger. Just not the growing tip...... I also start training them at a very young age. If its a clone Ill start training it as soon as I see the roots are established, and wont harm the plant. IE pulling it out of the soil.

And if I want 3 plants from regular seeds in the end. Ill start 6 seeds, ( I usually get 100% germ rate, and hope for 50/50 M/F and start them in 32 oz Deli Containers, of which you can get 500 of them for $92, and this includes shipping. But I use these to start, and can easily bend, and train 6 plants from seedling until it needs to be vegged, and long enough to tell M/F, vegging with 1000w in 4 x 4 long enough to tell M/F, and then up pot to larger containers, all the while training/bending the plants. Also if needed I can up pot the 32oz containers if they grow really fast, as I never restrict root growth, and even in 30 gallon containers, are still root bound by the time theyre finished.

So I do manipulate them quite a bit, and from the earliest age. This is especially critical for some strains as they can be stiff, and not respond to this method, if they aren't started early.
I also keep a steady, but not strong enough to burn Wind, with lots of fans. Lots of fans. I use at least 2 x nice fans per 1000w light. 4 for a Gavita. I have them on both the floor, and hanging from the ceiling. I use as much wind as I can get, but no direct hard core wind on the plants. Mainly between Bulb, and Canopy.

dan1989

dan1989

I do manipulate them by Bending them, shaking them, and in general making the plant stronger. Just not the growing tip...... I also start training them at a very young age. If its a clone Ill start training it as soon as I see the roots are established, and wont harm the plant. IE pulling it out of the soil.

And if I want 3 plants from regular seeds in the end. Ill start 6 seeds, ( I usually get 100% germ rate, and hope for 50/50 M/F and start them in 32 oz Deli Containers, of which you can get 500 of them for $92, and this includes shipping. But I use these to start, and can easily bend, and train 6 plants from seedling until it needs to be vegged, and long enough to tell M/F, vegging with 1000w in 4 x 4 long enough to tell M/F, and then up pot to larger containers, all the while training/bending the plants. Also if needed I can up pot the 32oz containers if they grow really fast, as I never restrict root growth, and even in 30 gallon containers, are still root bound by the time theyre finished.

So I do manipulate them quite a bit, and from the earliest age. This is especially critical for some strains as they can be stiff, and not respond to this method, if they aren't started early.
I also keep a steady, but not strong enough to burn Wind, with lots of fans. Lots of fans. I use at least 2 x nice fans per 1000w light. 4 for a Gavita. I have them on both the floor, and hanging from the ceiling. I use as much wind as I can get, but no direct hard core wind on the plants. Mainly between Bulb, and Canopy.

I agree with you in certain respects but from what I've seen personally from my grows, with the strains I've grown, as long as the plant isn't too young and you're seeing noticeable new growth each day, any lost time from topping is negligible and certainly worth it.

Assuming you've got good roots obviously...

K

kansabis

Certainly topping and even cutting clones reduces speed of growth temporarily as does training of any method,bending and such isn't as stressful and therefore the plants aren't slowed down as much by these methods as other high stress methods like cutting,etc. However if you know the proper timing and are keeping the plant healthy,as mentioned before,these setbacks should be negligible and in the end worth it.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Considering I'm getting 2.75 - 3lbs per 1000w Gavita in a 6 x 5, its hard for me to find any advantage. Im already getting 1g+ per watt with 60 day from seedling to flowering, and then 54-65 more days flowering. 120-125 days. Then as these are flowering, I have clones going, and by the time the 1s are flowered out, the others have vegged enough to flower with no waiting. I get 6 harvests a year and used 3 Gavitas. I pulled almost 40lbs in a 20 x 5 area, and 3 1000w Gavitas.

Last edited:
Monster762

Monster762

Considering I'm getting 2.75 - 3lbs per 1000w Gavita in a 6 x 5, its hard for me to find any advantage. Im already getting 1g+ per watt with 60 day from seedling to flowering, and then 54-65 more days flowering. 120-125 days. Then as these are flowering, I have clones going, and by the time the 1s are flowered out, the others have vegged enough to flower with no waiting. I get 6 harvests a year and used 3 Gavitas. I pulled almost 40lbs in a 20 x 5 area, and 3 1000w Gavitas.
You must be weighing the pots wet too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom