Brown Spots Showed Up Today. Help Needed.

• Thread starter JackD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Leew421

Leew421

Soil is a pH buffer. It's design is to balance pH. When you add that stuff in the mix it causes the soil to get out of whack. Should be saved very very needy times

Monster762

Monster762

everything I've read says no ph up or down in soil. Plus if tap ph is high most nutes lower ph some.

J

JackD

everything I've read says no ph up or down in soil. Plus if tap ph is high most nutes lower ph some.
Everything I've read says that ph above 7 or below 6 will interfere with nutrient availability and cause deficiencies. I've seen charts all over the place that show the availability of nutrients at different ph levels and while they vary a little, they all seem to agree that it should be somewhere in the range of 6 to 7.

When I add my nutes, they do lower the ph a little, but depending on how long I've left the water out, it can be as high as 8 and after adding nutes, it's still around 7.5.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

Soil is a pH buffer. It's design is to balance pH. When you add that stuff in the mix it causes the soil to get out of whack. Should be saved very very needy times
THIS IS NOT 100% RIGHT its the stuff in the soil that buffers the ph as in the lime if u don't have lime u will not get a buffer and the ph will go where it wants

J

JackD

THIS IS NOT 100% RIGHT its the stuff in the soil that buffers the ph as in the lime if u don't have lime u will not get a buffer and the ph will go where it wants
Maybe I should have, but I didn't add any lime to my soil. I'm using Just Natural organic potting soil from Walmart, mixed with 30% perlite. Until the brown spots showed up, the plants have been doing great and the soil drains well.

Leew421

Leew421

I'm assuming he has a soil mix with the needed amendments. What I use is ready and works well

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

Maybe I should have, but I didn't add any lime to my soil. I'm using Just Natural organic potting soil from Walmart, mixed with 30% perlite. Until the brown spots showed up, the plants have been doing great and the soil drains well.
Im not saying add lime im saying its the lime that buffers not the soil

I have a soil less mix that has lime in it its just . .peat perlite and lime

could we get a pic of the list of whats in your soil I tried looking up the name u said u used and nothing came up

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Try a little unsulphured molasses it will contain calcium and magnesium plus other minerals and potassium

Last edited:
Top Bottom