Cannabis' closest relatives?

• Thread starter kushtrees
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kushtrees

I'm trying to run a rather large side my side to test a few things, but I don't have the space indoors to do this. So I want to do it outside in pots, but I can't have cannabis plants outside....

So what are the closest relatives I could get at any local nursery/ garden store where the results from my tests could be comparable to cannabis. I know of hemp and hops, but I'm pretty sure I can't get hemp locally and hops is proving difficult to find.

Any suggestions?

neverbreak

neverbreak

i knew hops was a close relative within the same family but didn't know hackberries were! close of figs and mulberries too. interesting stuff.

neverbreak

neverbreak

i wonder if it would be possible to create intergeneric hybrids between cannabis and humulus (hops) or celtis (hackberries). potentially ya could end up with plants which look nothing like canna but contain thc and other cannabinoids!

420bliss

420bliss

maybe with gene splicing but they cant interbreed
i wonder if it would be possible to create intergeneric hybrids between cannabis and humulus (hops) or celtis (hackberries). potentially ya could end up with plants which look nothing like canna but contain thc and other cannabinoids!

maybe with gene splicing but they cant interbreed

K

kushtrees

I've heard of the strawberry thing that's pretty cool

I had also heard of hackberries, but since it's a tree I'm not sure it will work as well for my tests

We need to splice some strawberries with cannabis, strawberries that contained thc/ cannabinoids could essentially replace weed altogether

Unit541

Unit541

While strawberries and Cannabis might be related in some way, their growth characteristics could not be more different, besides the fact that both grow relatively fast. That said, it depends on what you're trying to compare. I have found Quinoa to be an excellent analogue in terms of nutrient requirements, growth and flowering characteristics.

And remember the indoor/outdoor variable is at work too. Your results may be nullified when you attempt to apply them to a *different plant* (cannabis) in a *different environment* (indoors).

Thoth

Thoth

We need to splice some strawberries with cannabis, strawberries that contained thc/ cannabinoids could essentially replace weed altogether

I'm in full support of this move. I could happily bunch on a bowl of strawberries and get stoned out of my mind.

On the flip side, strawberries would be incredibly difficult to smoke!

K

kushtrees

I'm testing effects of iba, naa, b1, and fulvic acid at different ppms levels against root excel, super thrive and liquid karma and of course a control.

I like the quinoa idea. I def need something with similar nutrient and flowering characteristics so I'll have to look more into that, plus I like quinoa

ttystikk

ttystikk

I realize that tomatoes are not close relatives of cannabis- but as an analogue for growing cannabis, they have many advantages; they grow to similar size and shape, they grow at a similar rate, they both produce fruit- which can itself be a good indicator of yield- and they both tend to like similar nutrient profiles and environmental conditions.

ttystikk

ttystikk

My vote is to gene splice THC trichomes onto the fruit surfaces of raspberries, peaches and apricots; eat a fresh yummy, sweet, sticky, gooey fruit- and get toasted. What could be better, besides maybe a wet towel for cleanup?

sprizzle

sprizzle

that would have 2 be the first decent thing monsanto were working on then!
thc strawberies would be amazing!!

K

kolah

heh-heh......... I am sure they'd fuck it up. On purpose. Lace it with some cancer virus or sumpin'...

Raven

Raven

I read an article a while back where a biologist (or some such) grafted a branch of cannabis onto a hops vine and it continued to grow. They're pretty closely related from what I gather.

Top Bottom