Caterpillar Id?

• Thread starter MrSinilindin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrSinilindin

MrSinilindin

Hey Farmers - I have never seen this thing before and can't find similar in the forum.
I am assuming it's some kind of worm. I have seen a little brown moth (less than 1/4") twice in about six months, and did have caterpillar damage on recent harvest (boring into node junctions, and in one case bud rot, which I've read here is likely a consequence of cat activity). I haven't been able to see any actual caterpillars in the plants, at any stage.

I released nematodes and green lacewing eggs a couple days ago, and even toothpicked a larva right next to this thing, but it cruised right past it. I cut this leaf off and put in a jar, will post pics if it develops.

Can anyone help with specific ID? - what kind of critter, but also what the heck is happening in this particular stage of development. Advice on treatment, including whether I can expect lacewings to take care of it.

The 30X pic is shot from my phone, through a 30X loupe. The others are straight through phone, no zoom and max phone zoom level. To the naked eye it looks like a tiny bump, barely noticeable, at zoom you notice this little green stalagmite thing.

The bits of stuff on the leaf are just the carrier from the lacewing eggs. You may also see some tiny webbing strands - might these be related? I'm assuming those are from mites, hopefully feeding the lacewing by now.

Wormnozoomjpg
Wormphonezoomjpg
Worm30xjpg

These are Hindu Kush growing in containers in soil (coco, worm castings, pumice, basalt fines; alfalfa, kelp, neem meal, oyster shell, bat guano, worm castings teas, comfrey fpe, montmorillionite; I re-use soil, re-up it between grows w/aforementioned; weekly spray of neem/karanja along with oils of thyme, rosemary, mint. Plants are relatively healthy otherwise. I flower in a separate room, and have usually cut off the sprays after just 3 weeks (I flower most strains 9 weeks). As I mentioned I had caterpillar damage on last harvest but never saw the actual worms, so they must be pretty small. Added BT spray only at that point, about a week ago.

I only noticed the damage after the fact, when the buds shrank much more than usual during cure, and then on closer inspection as I was breaking buds off I noticed the damage at nodes.

This plant was the first cut from the top of a seed plant. It is 3 weeks old and about a foot tall. It is currently in a 1-gallon rootmaker with nice healthy roots.

Thanks for years of knowledge in general, and any specific help here!

MrSinilindin

MrSinilindin

It grew over the past 24 hrs. Maybe it's some kind of wart?? These pics are lousy I know - just kind of hoping this rings a bell for someone. It does not move in any way. From the underside there is nothing other than a dimple, the inverse of the raised area you see around it in the pic. Happy friday all around.
Worm or Wart Day 2

The 30X pic is shot from my phone, through a 30X loupe. The others are straight through phone, no zoom and max phone zoom level. To the naked eye it looks like a tiny bump, barely noticeable, at zoom you notice this little green stalagmite thing.

MrSinilindin

MrSinilindin

Dang Sin, looks like it's just you and me. Here's day 4.
Very hard to capture in the photo, you may need to get yourself a scope.

It continues to grow, and a second one appeared. This is a leaf that has been removed, and is in a sealed jar w a damp paper towel. I haven't seen more on the living plant.

Was watching Planet Earth marathon and they were showing entomopathic fungi, where shrooms/fruit bodies emerge from the insect.
Are there fungi that affect plants that way?

What keeps not showing up in the photos is that it has a pretty clear, pardon me here, ...bell-end... on top, which is what makes it look like either a caterpillar of some kind or maybe a fungal body.
If the latter I am worried that spores may soon follow, so will probably get rid of it today.

Most general question, are there fungi that behave this way on leaf tissue,
or any kind of worm or creature that springs out of the leaf like this?
Worm Day 4

MrSinilindin

MrSinilindin

Well I'm assuming at this point its some kind of plant tissue aberration. It grew a little more on the specimen leaf, but is now occurring along the serrations of another plant, different strain.

I did accept that I have a mite issue even tho I can not see a single one under 30X magnification. Applied predators from arbico to try to take care of those.

Has anyone seen this behavior at leaf serrations due to mite damage? On the edges it is the brighter green color of veins, and they occur at the tips as though the non-vein tissue has shrunken away from the vein tissue. Horrible scientific there. But in the middle of the leaf, as above, this seems odd.

Leaf Edge 1
Leaf edge 2
Leaf Edge 3

Top Bottom