Cause For Concern? Looks Like Nutrient Burn.

• Thread starter wowoklol
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

wowoklol

Check it out. 6 week old hydro setup. Gen Hydro trio, rapid start, hydroguard, floralicious, armorSi, calmag etc. So I started with tapwater(200ishppm) and my first nute mix ended up around 1300ppm. Thought that was high but the plants seemed to love it. Rocked that for week until it fed down to around 980. Flushed and changed nutes to transition strength 3 days ago with RO water(0ppm). Started at 800ppm. Has fed down to 600 in 3 days so they are eating. PH has maintained around 6.4 the whole time. Check the tips. They've pretty much maintained this amount of burn rhe whole time. Or slightly varying levels. What do you guys think?
Cause for concern looks like nutrient burn
Cause for concern looks like nutrient burn 2
Cause for concern looks like nutrient burn 3

Last edited:
W

wowoklol

Heres a couple weeks ago. I guess the burn is as bad as its ever been now. You'll have to zoom in. So more nutrient burn with less nutrients. None of the tips have actually died at this point, just yellowing.

Resized 1540623964751002 4781
Last edited:
W

wowoklol

Anyone? They seem fine otherwise so Im not going to do anything drastic. Probably switch to full flowering nutrient mix here in a week or two. Im starting to see flowers forming now I believe.

W

wowoklol

If you're losing 200 ppm from feed to runoff, keep increasing until it stays more even. I'd also shoot for a pH between 5.7-6.0.
Yeah, seems like after I add my nutes to the buckets, it takes a ton of acid to move the PH so Ive been adding it, but hesitant. And im clearly not adding enough. Its about 22 gallons in all. Im guessing because all of those GH nutrients are buffered at a certain PH its fighting my intentional changes? Maybe Im thinking about it wrong. Im adding ph down via drops from a bottle. I also have a bluelabs doser i could hook up but im not sure on the calibration. Like, pump runs 2 seconds with a 10 min off time? That should pump 2ml every 10min if needed. Or should i give it longer than 10min between doses to let it settle? The pump is around 450gph so 1700lph. So circulating 18x per hour. 10min should be more than enough time for it to mix. I'll have to think about adding nutrients back after feeding out. My topoff is just RO water ph'd to 5.3 at the moment. Thanks for the input fellas!

London bud

London bud

Check it out. 6 week old hydro setup. Gen Hydro trio, rapid start, hydroguard, floralicious, armorSi, calmag etc. So I started with tapwater(200ishppm) and my first nute mix ended up around 1300ppm. Thought that was high but the plants seemed to love it. Rocked that for week until it fed down to around 980. Flushed and changed nutes to transition strength 3 days ago with RO water(0ppm). Started at 800ppm. Has fed down to 600 in 3 days so they are eating. PH has maintained around 6.4 the whole time. Check the tips. They've pretty much maintained this amount of burn rhe whole time. Or slightly varying levels. What do you guys think?View attachment 839419 View attachment 839420 View attachment 839421
Could be a deficiency not burn, dont quite look like burn to me. Are the tips only yellowing on the higher leaves? The higher leaves for each branch

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

Yeah, seems like after I add my nutes to the buckets, it takes a ton of acid to move the PH so Ive been adding it, but hesitant. And im clearly not adding enough. Its about 22 gallons in all. Im guessing because all of those GH nutrients are buffered at a certain PH its fighting my intentional changes? Maybe Im thinking about it wrong. Im adding ph down via drops from a bottle. I also have a bluelabs doser i could hook up but im not sure on the calibration. Like, pump runs 2 seconds with a 10 min off time? That should pump 2ml every 10min if needed. Or should i give it longer than 10min between doses to let it settle? The pump is around 450gph so 1700lph. So circulating 18x per hour. 10min should be more than enough time for it to mix. I'll have to think about adding nutrients back after feeding out. My topoff is just RO water ph'd to 5.3 at the moment. Thanks for the input fellas!
The higher the EC/PPM the more pH down it takes to adjust the solution

W

wowoklol

Could be a deficiency not burn, dont quite look like burn to me. Are the tips only yellowing on the higher leaves? The higher leaves for each branch
Yeah. Its on some of the new growth. Not all. Some leaves are perfectly fine. Its pretty strange. Definitely not worse or starting at the bottom of the plant. I had some iron deficiency I believe early on cause my PPM was way too low. That was happening in the middle of the fan leaves. Most pictures I find of yellowing tips or yellowing leaves, its the whole leaf. Which then gets necrotic and turns brown. None of the leaves/tips have died at all. They just stay yellow. Not sure if any have greened back up.

W

wowoklol

The higher the EC/PPM the more pH down it takes to adjust the solution
Its 6.2 now and coming down. They are drinking pretty heavily from my res PH'd at 5.2 now. Like 4 gallons in about 3 days I believe. I'm probably going to fill the top off res with nutrient water this time to steer the PPM as well as the nutrients. Not quite full flower mode here so.

W

wowoklol

After a more careful inspection last night, its not on the lower leaves hardly at all. More pronounced middle and higher parts of plant. Ouside leaves, not inside.

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

Also, I don't understand this "feed down" technique/mentality. If you're feeding at 1000 !,d they're at 800 the next day you better top that res with how ever many gallons it ate and get your ppm up to 1100 or you're gonna have some anemic plants rather quickly

W

wowoklol

Also, I don't understand this "feed down" technique/mentality. If you're feeding at 1000 !,d they're at 800 the next day you better top that res with how ever many gallons it ate and get your ppm up to 1100 or you're gonna have some anemic plants rather quickly
I guess thats assuming they are eating the nutrients equally. Which they are probably not. That could be the problem. Not sure how I missed the idea that you are supposed to maintain the ppm level. I guess which is why you do a total flush and not add all back in equal amounts? If you put back at an even rate, wont it get lopsided? Sure it'll be 1000 PPM but how many parts of each? I guess that was my mentality. Then just do a complete replacement in a week or so. Total water change.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Follow @DetGrnThumb , the man knows his stuff!
And always ppm up based on intake runoff post feed minus intake add based on consumption is what. I’ve always done as well. So his theory is sound industry experience! I’d follow his advice fo sho

W

wowoklol

I just mixed nutrients into my top off at ratios recommended here: https://www.sensigarden.com/general-hydroponics-flora-series/
Then added recommended doses of armorSi, diamond nectar, rapid start, cal mag, floralicious plus, canna boost and it put the ppms up to 1880 for those 12gallons of topoff. Seemed high. I appreciate the input. I'll be adding nutrients to the top off now. Do I just use the same ratios thats in the buckets its topping off? Almost like you are saying more. If ppms are dropping. Im going to read the links posted. Ppm in the buckets/circulating is down to 390 now. Plants look great and are growing like weeds! Switching my bulb to a flowering spectrum starting tonight. Just thinking out loud.
I guess I was going off this. Which I came across early on in the process: https://www.growweedeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Recirculating-Nutrient-Schedule-custom.jpg
and:
https://www.growweedeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/GH-Flora-simple-recirculating.jpg
which both say "change nutrient solution every 7-10 days and top off with fresh water in between changes. Which as been working fine for 6-7 weeks now minus the yellowing. No anemic plants thats for sure. Not saying anyone is wrong, just remembering what I was basing my mentality off of.

Last edited:
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I just mixed nutrients into my top off at ratios recommended here: https://www.sensigarden.com/general-hydroponics-flora-series/
Then added recommended doses of armorSi, diamond nectar, rapid start, cal mag, floralicious plus, canna boost and it put the ppms up to 1880 for those 12gallons of topoff. Seemed high. I appreciate the input. I'll be adding nutrients to the top off now. Do I just use the same ratios thats in the buckets its topping off? Almost like you are saying more. If ppms are dropping. Im going to read the links posted. Ppm in the buckets/circulating is down to 390 now. Plants look great and are growing like weeds! Switching my bulb to a flowering spectrum starting tonight. Just thinking out loud.
I guess I was going off this. Which I came across early on in the process: https://www.growweedeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Recirculating-Nutrient-Schedule-custom.jpg
and:
https://www.growweedeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/GH-Flora-simple-recirculating.jpg
which both say "change nutrient solution every 7-10 days and top off with fresh water in between changes. Which as been working fine for 6-7 weeks now minus the yellowing. No anemic plants thats for sure. Not saying anyone is wrong, just remembering what I was basing my mentality off of.
At 300 ppm they are really growing! I’d top of buckets if thats the case but I like to do it on res as it’s controlable.

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

I guess thats assuming they are eating the nutrients equally. Which they are probably not. That could be the problem. Not sure how I missed the idea that you are supposed to maintain the ppm level. I guess which is why you do a total flush and not add all back in equal amounts? If you put back at an even rate, wont it get lopsided? Sure it'll be 1000 PPM but how many parts of each? I guess that was my mentality. Then just do a complete replacement in a week or so. Total water change.
If you're topping off 10 gallons of solution, take one gallon of plain water pH'd to 5.8 and then take the second 5 gallon bucket and mix in the ten gallons worth of nutrients. pH to 5.8 again and dump in in your reservoir. There you have your answer. Don't be adding a little here and there so the solution is all off. Handle it all while you're topping the reservoir

W

wowoklol

If you're topping off 10 gallons of solution, take one gallon of plain water pH'd to 5.8 and then take the second 5 gallon bucket and mix in the ten gallons worth of nutrients. pH to 5.8 again and dump in in your reservoir. There you have your answer. Don't be adding a little here and there so the solution is all off. Handle it all while you're topping the reservoir
Ok, trying to wrap my head around this.

The top off res is 42 gallons. I have it graduated in 1gal levels so I can tell how much we're using. I started out with around 30 gallons of RO water and it's fed down now to about 12 which is where I came up with 12 gallons. The system its steering is a RDWC with Six 4 gallon buckets filled about 3.5 with a 4 gallon epicenter. So I figure 7 buckets total and around 24-25 gallons recirculating. Top off is almost twice as much. Copied Heisenbubbles setup pretty much. Sooo that said, now I've got 24 gallons at 380 ppm(transition ratio), 6.0 PH circulating under 2 pretty healthy plants(only using 2 sites at the moment). 12 gallons of Flowering ratio nutes dripping in as top off at 1880 PPM and 5.6 PH. lol. And probably another 30 gallons mixed up in a 55g drum. I think I had it backwards. I think I needed the nutes in the top off, and RO in the 55g. I'm gonna go back and watch his videos as well. Thanks for the help here!

Last edited:
DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

Ok, trying to wrap my head around this.

The top off res is 42 gallons. I have it graduated in 1gal levels so I can tell how much we're using. I started out with around 30 gallons of RO water and it's fed down now to about 12 which is where I came up with 12 gallons. The system its steering is a RDWC with Six 4 gallon buckets filled about 3.5 with a 4 gallon epicenter. So I figure 7 buckets total and around 24-25 gallons recirculating. Top off is almost twice as much. Copied Heisenbubbles setup pretty much. Sooo that said, now I've got 24 gallons at 380 ppm(transition ratio), 6.0 PH circulating under 2 pretty healthy plants(only using 2 sites at the moment). 12 gallons of Flowering ratio nutes dripping in as top off at 1880 PPM and 5.6 PH. lol. And probably another 30 gallons mixed up in a 55g drum. I think I had it backwards. I think I needed the nutes in the top off, and RO in the 55g. I'm gonna go back and watch his videos as well. Thanks for the help here!
30-12 is 18 total gallons that the plants have fed. Make sure you're measuring the water level when it's circulated back to your holding reservoir. If you're going to fill it back to the 30 gallon level you started with you need to end up adding 18 gallons of nutrient solution. If you're filling it all the way up to 40 then you need to add 28 gallons of nutrient solution. The nutrients need to be mixed in all the water that's going into the system. This whole adding nutes in the buckets and RO in the raw or vice versa is counterproductive. Completely empty the system once a week and top off with nutrients solution as necessary.

Top Bottom