Charging Biochar

• Thread starter JMcG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JMcG

JMcG

Hey Farmers!
I am building some Coot style soil for some raised NT beds and I’m going to use Black Owl Biochar. I have a couple of questions though...
I plan on charging it first. Sounds like I can pump it up with nutrients, bennies, or both.
Can I just make a tea and soak it for a day or two? I am hoping I don’t have to let it sit for a couple of weeks as was mentioned elsewhere.

Also, I read that it’s recommended rate of application is 5-8 % of my soil. Would that be in addition to my 30% aeration ( lava and pumice) or would that be part of the 30%?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

char is like a sponge and attach, the pumice and lava rock will absorb the nutrients also,but the char will hold on to it,the roots seek out the nutrients of your soil and the char provide it,char also without being charged will rob your soil of the nutrients and suck it into the char,leaving the empty void ,in turn seeking the char for the nutrients,so you can go over board using it, what size pots are you using?
thing about char ,as you feed, water ,it continue to sponge it in were pumice and lava rock just runs off but both are great for air,as far as a charge of it,what is your plan for feed to the plants,organic i hope or your wasting time in my opinion,salts will build up in it with synthetics and almost impossile to flush ,plus you cant flush soil period,wont happen,what will is a pot of clayish mush and compacted to a point that it will never mend itself before you harvest.
so with that being said i use knf methods and they are my nutrients ,i feed soil not plants,let say you plan to use 5 gal bucket soil,fox farm trio nutrients,in that bucket of soil you would use about a inch worth the char to fill the bucket of soil,doesnt sound like a lot, designed to add as you go,like when you amend your no till soil,so fox calls for a certain amount for seedlings ,veg,bloom always start at 1/4 strength right? if all you plan to charge is that 1in of char in the bucket stated,take the feed as you would for that feed and make 1gal,after you made the feed,just pour in a container the char,then the feed till you cover the char with liquid,that is charging it friend,i would also add earth worm castings,but thats it,let it sit for a week or so,the longer the better and it not robbing your soil nutes if you dig,the less time you dont charge it,the more nutes it sucks from your soil.
anyway hope you can understand what im talking about,char is great stuff and really is great source,been used for years,just keep in mind,this ,and i plan on doing a side by side one day,with char,it going to be like using a soil that has had slow realese nutrients already added to the soil,so let the plant tell you when it needs more and go slow and easy on dose of feeds you put in,till you get the sweet spot,also all that juice you have after charging the char,make tea from it,hope i helped

JMcG

JMcG

Definitely helpful old school!
This will be going into my new 200 gallon organic no till beds! I’ll be following most of the NTG methods.
Planning on charging them with this Alaska fish emulsion 5-1-1. I know it is not hydrolosate but I’m only looking to get the nutes out of it and not the bennies. Probably use half strength or weaker...
It was recommended that I could also use neem meal or soak it in too...

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Definitely helpful old school!
This will be going into my new 200 gallon organic no till beds! I’ll be following most of the NTG methods.
Planning on charging them with this Alaska fish emulsion 5-1-1. I know it is not hydrolosate but I’m only looking to get the nutes out of it and not the bennies. Probably use half strength or weaker...
It was recommended that I could also use neem meal or soak it in too...
so your shooting for more nit,in 200 gal pots i would do a 5 gal bucket of char per pot,i would also add bone meal in that charge,give you the n and k value for long term,sounds like a plan to me

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

so your shooting for more nit,in 200 gal pots i would do a 5 gal bucket of char per pot,i would also add bone meal in that charge,give you the n and k value for long term,sounds like a plan to me
ecompost has a more isolated line of nutrients ,work great too,bend on his ear and he will have you running pure organic in no time,all the products are in pure and concentrate form,i use them,pretty much like knf but more isolated to the needs

JMcG

JMcG

So...
I ended up using Neptune’s Harvest fish hydroloslate instead. Seemed like a better choice. No bone meal...
I lined a wheelbarrow with plastic, added the char, and added water with 3 tbsp of NH per gallon to it. Kinda made a slurry out of it. Probably need to top it off as it absorbs it all up.
Gonna let it cook till this weekend, 4-5days.
Unless you think it’s mandatory to let it go for a week or better. I’ve read both..

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

So...
I ended up using Neptune’s Harvest fish hydroloslate instead. Seemed like a better choice. No bone meal...
I lined a wheelbarrow with plastic, added the char, and added water with 3 tbsp of NH per gallon to it. Kinda made a slurry out of it. Probably need to top it off as it absorbs it all up.
Gonna let it cook till this weekend, 4-5days.
Unless you think it’s mandatory to let it go for a week or better. I’ve read both..
i go a week,just cause ,ive read same thing,good to put in a compost pile too bro,i dont use much because i reamend yearly it seems haaha,im always building soil,be damn glad when i get every thing going my way hahahah,hard work for a old man stoner,lol

JMcG

JMcG

I emailed Tad at KIS and asked him about it. He said that it doesn’t take long to charge it. Even overnight. It makes sense to me, I was thinking the Black Owl Bio char was going to be chunkier like charcoal. However, it turns out it has the consistency of coarse compost, so I can’t see how it needs very long to get it super saturated. Still, it will be this weekend before I can mix soil anyway... so it will be plenty ready!

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Hope its cool to red this thread and get advice for myself.

HUGE biochar fan from all I've read . Got a BioCharlie log and make my own. And buy it .
Last run I didn't know to charge . Huge mistake . Didn't realize the obvious - its a molecular carbon porous sponge . Duh.
My girls needed tons more PK and I couldn't keep up . Raw char couldn't have helped that.

Anyway this run in hitting it with kelp, Tritons Trawl, ENZYMES, liquid compost, EWC, Bio-Live.
Soaked in bucket a day, came back to LOW TIDE. Dear Lord. Reeked .

Added aeration . Today it had foamed like crazy and overflowed a bit . Smells like a dock not low tide. Better!

Added more molasses . Humic acid . N4tG Kraken. Liquid yucca. More beneficials. Cal-Mag since this is going into coco and I don't add it later but a stable solid source cant hurt . Insect frass.

Have raw fresh worm bin juice but that's anaerobic and adding it last minute for transplant.

Bubbling for 10 days .

Thoughts?

Also trying to PH it since its naturally pretty high .

Top Bottom