Cooking with BHO?

Discussion in 'Concentrates & Processing' started by Backward_Z, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Backward_Z

Backward_Z New Farmer

As you can probably assume if I'm posting about BHO--tolerance is becoming a real issue for me, especially with allergy season going on right now doing a number on my sinus pathways and whatnot.

I smoke and my throat gets all scratchy and raw (in addition to the nagging pain sinus drainage causes). I make cannamilk, but the dairy spikes my allergies to the point I don't take milk without a Claratin D alongside of it.

I'm pretty restricted to using leaf trim when making edibles--I get it for free from a friend who has a personal medical grow and I can't really afford to use straight buds in my edibles/extractions.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience cooking with BHO. I've had milk that was made with buds and it was soooo much more potent than what I make with trim but since that's not available to me I was wondering if I could make BHO then make edibles to achieve maximum edible potency so as to make my dosage as low low low as possible.

I can't help but think it would be really difficult to work it into something. I'd love to make milk but I don't imagine the BHO would melt in very well. Maybe it could be rolled into warm butter? Does anybody have any experience with this?
  2. Blaze

Blaze Well-Known Farmer

You can just add it to a cake or muffin mix, etc then bake it. Just be sure you use a recipe that has a baking temperature under 350. In the past I've used BHO to make ganja-ginger-stout cake.
  3. Blaze

Blaze Well-Known Farmer

Here's the recipe I've used. Add as little or as much BHO as you want. Just be careful not to over-do the BHO. Last time I made this stuff my buddy just sort of dumped most of a jar of BHO in; two slices and I was practically hallucinating. So watch out, LoL!

One thing I would recommend however, is instead of Guinness use a good micro-brewed Russian Imperial Stout, like Old Rasputin or something similar. Guinness has such a weak flavor and is so light that you can't taste it at all when you use it in this recipe.

From Sunset magazine:

Dark beer, molasses, and crystallized ginger give this cake uncommon depth of flavor. Candied-ginger whipped cream gilds the lily. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: May be made up to 2 days ahead. Cool, cover with plastic wrap, and store at room temperature.

Yield: Makes two cakes, 8 to 12 servings total
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, melted and cooled
    1 cup Guinness stout
    1 cup dark molasses (not blackstrap)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons ground ginger
    1 teaspoon allspice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped crystallized ginger
    1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (from 2 to 3 lemons)
    Powdered sugar for dusting
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Butter two 8- by 8-in. glass or light-colored metal baking dishes. Bring Guinness stout and dark molasses to a boil in a large, deep saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in baking soda (it will foam up dramatically); let cool. In a bowl, whisk together cinnamon, ginger, allspice, salt, and flour.

2. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup crystallized ginger, melted butter, and dark brown sugar and stir together with a wooden spoon. Add eggs and lemon zest and stir once more. Gradually stir in dry ingredients in four batches, alternating with Guinness mixture. Pour batter into greased baking dishes, dividing evenly.

3. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool cakes on a wire rack, then dust tops with powdered sugar. Cut each cake into 4 to 6 squares and arrange on a serving platter.

4. In a small bowl, whip cream and granulated sugar together until cream holds soft peaks. Stir in all but a teaspoon of crystallized ginger and serve in a bowl alongside the cake, sprinkled with the last bit of ginger.
  4. billybadazz

billybadazz Farmer

you can also make bho gel caps.
  5. edux10

edux10 Farmer

i think one of the best ways to use BHO is to let it sit in vegtible glycerine for 60 days. It takes a long time, but you can put it in anything. Even stuff you cant put butter in, like ice cream and lollypops. I would look up Hashbean on youtube he has a lot of good info.

Also remember that heat treated edibles are way stronger. Sorry for all the links to TokeCity lately, but they have a lot of good BHO info. Check this out, it explains how much better heat treating BHO is when you are making edibles. The article actually makes me have more questions but it is a good starting point. Enjoy.
    http://www.tokecity.com/forums/showthread.php4?t=33499&highlight=heat+treating+bho
  6. Backward_Z

Backward_Z New Farmer

Melting chocolate into a pan of BHO... mind blown. Must try.

I'm also wondering if there's anything to melting oil and dripping it into tea.

I guess I just need to experiment some, huh?

There's a bunch of interesting info on this tokecity forum, no joke, but goodness yellow/grey on black is hard on my eyes!
  7. Jalisco Kid

Jalisco Kid Well-Known Farmer

I like to drink mine in my morning coffee or in some remy in the evening. Mainly just because it is easier as I do not cook much. JK
  8. Blaze

Blaze Well-Known Farmer

How much do you use per drink JK? That's a method of ingestion I have not tried yet - sounds interesting.
  9. Backward_Z

Backward_Z New Farmer

Well well!

Earlier this evening I went ahead and made some of that chocolate. Boiled the oil with my torch a couple few times then put it on the double boiler, added chocolate (eyeballed all of the amounts, I have no idea what the dosage is), mixed it all up, spooned it on some wax paper and chilled then froze it. I have to say--not bad. Not bad at all. Potency is good and strong and it didn't spike my allergies. The most surprising part was that of all the edibles I've ever made, this was by far the most pleasant tasting. I usually find the flavor of pot to be bitter and unpleasant and I really dislike having to eat a whole fat brownie or cookie or whatever with that funky flavor but this chocolate was just not bad.

I also made up a fresh batch of BHO with a vacuum pump magillicutty I picked up today and was very pleased with the result of that.

:) (happy camper)
  10. edux10

edux10 Farmer

nice to see you tried out the vaccuum purge tek. Its still being refined and is actually very new. I would say just a couple of months now.

oh, on Toke City you can change it to a white background in the bottom left corner. They have some good BHO info and deff some great glass info but if you want to talk about growing i would def say here, lol
  11. edux10

edux10 Farmer

I think the glycerine method would probably work on drinks. For coffee, you could make some really strong chocolate and melt a little in there i would think.
  12. FLB

FLB Farmer

I put 1/2 to 1g of reclaim in my coffee every morning. It adds the best flavor to it and sets you up for a awesome day. You can't even taste the weed
  13. ViVi

ViVi New Farmer

i use to get rid of my reclaim till i found its great to cook with....kinda makes me sad to all those people that just throw it out...toss it my way:banana1sv6:
  14. cannabinoid

cannabinoid New Farmer

:heart

0.5g/choco :004:

http://i138.invalid.com/albums/q242/dope_roor/faec8130.jpg
  15. supasticky

supasticky Farmer

Mmmmmm..... that chocolate looks bomb!

-Supa
  16. Graywolf

Graywolf Well-Known Farmer

Attached Files:

17. Graywolf

Graywolf Well-Known Farmer

Good point, milk chocolate is a menstruum all by itself! Hee, hee, hee.............
  18. cannabinoid

cannabinoid New Farmer

exactly! if you eat ~25lbs of chocolate your cannabinoid receptors will be activated as if you smoked a single joint, it's a ton lol but i'm sure it helps in small qtys with BHO
  19. pandor

pandor New Farmer

I'm going to try to make some heat treated BHO chocolate later. Any recommendations anyone?