Daylight Savings Time

• Thread starter Smoking Gun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Since today is when we go to daylight savings time it totally messes up my timers. I am going to wait until all lights are on so everyone gets a proper dark period, and then I will set my timers forward to coincide with my regular schedule. Unfortunately that means everyone will get an hour less of light today. How does everyone else deal with daylight savings in their grow?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I leave everything alone and grow one hour later in summer and one earlier in winter. Cooler and warmer as needed that way a bit.

I have done that in the past. Its just that right now I have my light schedules set around my schedule and the hour difference really messes that up. I need to keep that schedule to ensure the proper health of my plants, so that means if I have to suffer a 23 hour day so do my plants.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have done that in the past. Its just that right now I have my light schedules set around my schedule and the hour difference really messes that up. I need to keep that schedule to ensure the proper health of my plants, so that means if I have to suffer a 23 hour day so do my plants.

Well an hour one way or the other isnt going to hurt the plants twice a year.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Lol I just checked my plants and my timer normally comes on at 9am and goes off at 8 pm. (11/13). Well I went to check at 9 and the lights were still off. I’m like wtf. So I thought maybe the timer is a tick or two back. I turned the dial and it took more than I thought it should to make the lights turn on. I was thinking wtf did the power go off for an hour last night? It then dawned on me it was DST. lol. I felt like such a tool. Ahh well. All will be fine.

Srenots

Srenots

Lol I just checked my plants and my timer normally comes on at 9am and goes off at 8 pm. (11/13). Well I went to check at 9 and the lights were still off. I’m like wtf. So I thought maybe the timer is a tick or two back. I turned the dial and it took more than I thought it should to make the lights turn on. I was thinking wtf did the power go off for an hour last night? It then dawned on me it was DST. lol. I felt like such a tool. Ahh well. All will be fine.
lol been there as well, totally forget about the time change and wonder why the lights aint on in the mornin haha

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
We here don't recognize DST. Nor does the plant. It regulates itself according to the photoperiod.

For some that don't know the history of "war time" or "DST" check this out.

Origin

DST started when "war time" was established in the U.S. in 1918 to save fuel during World War I.

In Arizona, Maricopa County supervisors refused to accept the change. In 1919, Phoenix and the rest of the state observed different time zones.

War time, or daylight saving time, was reinstated in World War II. It was brought back permanently in the Uniform Time Act of 1966.

Arizona participated for one summer. Then we realized what an awful idea it was to have more sunlight in the evening. Longer sunlight means more air conditioning and more energy used. And more misery.

In a nearly unanimous vote, Arizona legislators agreed to opt out of daylight saving time in 1967.

Navajo Nation

However, the Navajo Nation in the northeast quarter of the state does observe daylight saving time. The Hopi Nation, fully surrounded by the Navajo reservation, does not.

Indiana was in the same boat as Arizona until 2005. Hoosiers in rural areas said "changing the clock at all is considered 'unnatural' and 'unhealthy for cows'" at one point in the debate, as IndyStar.com has it.

Some territories like Puerto Rico and Guam don't change, either.

It's debatable whether DST saves energy or increases productivity, but "springing forward" and "falling back" have been linked to increased traffic accidents due to unfamiliar lighting in the morning or evening.

Some states want to stay on daylight saving time for good.

https://www.12news.com/article/news...snt-observe-daylight-saving-time/75-344384243

Dan789

Dan789

We here don't recognize DST. Nor does the plant. It regulates itself according to the photoperiod.

For some that don't know the history of "war time" or "DST" check this out.

Origin

DST started when "war time" was established in the U.S. in 1918 to save fuel during World War I.

In Arizona, Maricopa County supervisors refused to accept the change. In 1919, Phoenix and the rest of the state observed different time zones.

War time, or daylight saving time, was reinstated in World War II. It was brought back permanently in the Uniform Time Act of 1966.

Arizona participated for one summer. Then we realized what an awful idea it was to have more sunlight in the evening. Longer sunlight means more air conditioning and more energy used. And more misery.

In a nearly unanimous vote, Arizona legislators agreed to opt out of daylight saving time in 1967.

Navajo Nation

However, the Navajo Nation in the northeast quarter of the state does observe daylight saving time. The Hopi Nation, fully surrounded by the Navajo reservation, does not.

Indiana was in the same boat as Arizona until 2005. Hoosiers in rural areas said "changing the clock at all is considered 'unnatural' and 'unhealthy for cows'" at one point in the debate, as IndyStar.com has it.

Some territories like Puerto Rico and Guam don't change, either.

It's debatable whether DST saves energy or increases productivity, but "springing forward" and "falling back" have been linked to increased traffic accidents due to unfamiliar lighting in the morning or evening.

Some states want to stay on daylight saving time for good.

https://www.12news.com/article/news...snt-observe-daylight-saving-time/75-344384243
With you on staying on daylight savings for good. I’m feeling the negative effects today just having my coffee so early, Lol.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

lol been there as well, totally forget about the time change and wonder why the lights aint on in the mornin haha
I got a few Google Minis (2 fer) this year. I set 2 timers daily for wake and sleep so I never bolox it up (have a few timers). Must admit today I was miffed when I thought it fked up..LMAO..

It's easier for me to just leave everything as it is....No problems and NO NANER GUILT that way..LOL

Top Bottom