Difference b/t HPS Ballasts & MH Ballasts

• Thread starter JonsiMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JonsiMan

So this may seem like a stupid question, but to me its a question I need answered:animbong:.
I am going to be running a 400w HPS Bulb, and going to use the CoolStar 400 Watt HPS Remote Ballast. After educating myself a bit, I was thinking of running a Metal Halide Bulb for my Flowering stage and am now wondering if running the MH Bulb on the HPS Ballast would be okay or not.
Also would like opinions on the 2 different types and how they work best.:volcano:

D

Djmers

Hi there you cannot use a metal halide lamp on a hps ballast because of ignition issues within the ballast. I would just use the hps through out the veg and flower cycle and still achive great results.

L

leao

Or, as an alternative, if you haven't already purchased the planned ballast (or have the ability to return it) you can look into an electronic ballast that can run both MH and HPS bulbs. Just make sure the wattage for the ballast and both bulbs all are the same of course. I use the Sun System Galaxy, and so far it's great.

If you do choose to use the HPS bulb throughout, be careful during the vegetative stage, as plants under HPS in vegging. tend to stretch more than when under MH when vegging.

Hope that helps and good luck.

W

wpw

You CAN run a Halide off a Sodium ballast...all ya hafta do is take the ignitor outta the circuit.

See the schematic in the attachment for the placement of a switch on a HPS ballast to make it into a "switchable"...or where to interrupt the ignitor circuit to allow ya to run a Halide...
Disconnect the X3 wire from the secondary windings of the transformer to run Halide.
Or add a switch on the X3 wire to make it switchable...

<edit> - All of my HPS ballasts have been made switchable.

Peace...wpw

Disconnect blue X3 wire to switch from HPS to MH bulb
D

Djmers

Well done wpw that's wats I was going to mention before you got in there first just couldn't find a decent schematic drawing, I was Planning to do the same with my ballast.

J

joe.5

weird.. i bought a 250w ballast and a pair of bulbs from my local (hps & mh) and both bulbs work with the one ballast.. i've heard a lot about conversion bulbs, but don't have a clue..

W

wpw

Thanks Djmers...I just hate to see folks spend more than they should for things...

Joe5....is the ballast ya bought a digital ballast or a switchable cord & coil ballast?
Digi's will run both MH & HPS...

IMHO...I would only run a "conversion" lamp if all I had was a Halide ballast & was wanting to use a Sodium w/ it...
There is NO need for a Halide conversion lamp to run in a Sodium ballast...unless ya just wanna spend the $$$.
I would rather save the $$$ & snip a wire or add a switch than pay for a "conversion" lamp to go from MH -> HPS...
This lamp is $75 out the door from the electrical supply houses or $53 from the link on the bottom of the post...

I did find these nifty lamps from EYE that have a built in ignitor, but I haven't used them in a Halide only ballast yet to see if they work...

Here is the PDF on disabling the ignitor when using these lamps...

These lamps are in the local electrical supply houses around here for $135 out the door or they are $105+shipping from http://www.1000bulbs.com/1000-Watt-HPS/

Peace...wpw

R

Rasta311

IMO since you already need to buy a MH bulb why not go ahead and just buy a conversion MH?

S

sativablast

why not just buy a MH ballast cant be more than 100 for 400watts plenny 4 veg

J

joe.5

wpw orite i bought a normal magnetic ballast, this is going back some years, it was my first starter kit in around 1998 before digital ballast became widely available.. I just find it strange that where I am and all the local stores I've visited over the years, it's never been suggested that I need a particular ballast for mh or hps.. is it something to do with the fact we have 240V system here? or do my stockists cover all angles and only supply ballasts that work with both types of hid bulbs? I could go out today and buy a 600mh and swap it out for one of my 600hps without any guess work..

L

littlewalter

HPS or MH

If I were you I would look seriously at the Eye Hortilux Metal Halide BLUE series. They have a spectrum that replicates daylight and can be used from start to finish with great results. This is the bulb that will let you really see your plants color truly. With that adjustment to your HPS ballast you could run one and have the perfect spectrum with 20-30 % more plant growth spectrum than ANY other bulb in the market. A bit mre expensive but you are looking for results right?

Top Bottom