DIY "Arena" style VSCRoG v2.0

• Thread starter mrfixit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mrfixit

mrfixit

So this is my updated version of my "V" VSCRoG. The original "V" 2 sided version works well (look up my other posts) but had an inherent issue relative to a continuous grow cycle. This version separates into "halves" and can be cycled between veg and bloom, as well as it allows extension panels for the second half of growth.
Used 3/4" PVC, drywall screws instead of pricy eye hooks etc, and was able to keep costs down to a minimum. This version is 4'x4' but could easily be scaled up or down in size depending on your space or needs. And it's on wheels that will support/allow movement as a unit or in either half, making it easy to move a section out of veg into bloom. This one is scaled to have a fair amount of room for 2 5g smart pots on each side.
It is also ideal for vertical lighting (how I'll use it) but can work well with top and/or side lights also. I'll have a 1k HPS dropped down the center, a 400wMH for some extra canopy hardening and could also use tube florescent/mongo CFL or even LED for inside or backside lighting. It can be a straight sided "box" or the panels can be tilted individually to any angle and then held by either side chains between the panels or via to chains to the ceiling.

Overview 1w
Overview 5w
Overview 2w
Close 1w
V scrog v2

Dr.b420

Dr.b420

You smart mother fucker I have been trying to think of a good way to do that exact thing and I like how you can split it down the middle.

mrfixit

mrfixit

You smart mother fucker I have been trying to think of a good way to do that exact thing and I like how you can split it down the middle.

Relative to lack of space in my actual room, I pulled one of the sides off and do a (small) SOG across the bottom as well. It's pretty flexible and can be scaled smaller or larger than the one I built.

Dr.b420

Dr.b420

Yea Its a good set up for a small space I want to do a set up like that just a lot bigger with 3 of them in a room all with 1000's I think if I did it right I could get 4 p's or more a light that would be 2x what I get now off a 1000. What size light do you use and what kind of weight are you getting ?

mrfixit

mrfixit

Yea Its a good set up for a small space I want to do a set up like that just a lot bigger with 3 of them in a room all with 1000's I think if I did it right I could get 4 p's or more a light that would be 2x what I get now off a 1000. What size light do you use and what kind of weight are you getting ?

Well, I'm new to this setup so I've only had one single batch/6 same plant run (the rest were mixed plants/stages) and with a generic 1k HPS, a 400w MH run at the end and about 4 mongo compact florescent spirals, I still managed about 550gms bud and 150gm trim/sugar/for extraction. Not bad for a non-dialed in first run. That was with my original "V" type VSCROG shown below...

Overview 1w

Dr.b420

Dr.b420

Nice man I think that new set up that you built will do a Lot better then your old v Scrog and yea that's not bad at all for your first run keep up the good work and send me some pics when you get your new set up going.

AlterNation

AlterNation

I dig this idea. I wanted to do something similar, like an amphitheater style "bowl" , or rather, two half circles that you could put together, with five lights overhead, the middle one a little lower to get to the center, or make it a donut with a huge tree in the middle.

This gives me a lot of ideas. Pvc is great for so many things!

ttystikk

ttystikk

So one good link deserves another; Oh my God he turned them INSIDE OUT! !

You had mentioned in my thread that what you're doing and what I'm doing are about the same. While the vertical approach is similar, our systems have a lot of differences. Chief among these is that in the round cylinder of the design I'm working on, there will be no relatively dark spots in corners, or at either end. The reason for this is that your bulbs are stationary at a set distance from the canopy- far enough that stationary bulbs won't burn the plants. By contrast, my bulb is closer to the trellis, it is the same distance to all parts of the trellis- being round- and it is positioned close enough that if the light mover fails, the light will likely burn plants.

I'm not going to say what mine will produce, since i haven't done any runs with it yet. Therefore mine is not 'better', just 'different.'

Have you done an exact count of the square footage of canopy space in your design? This became a critical measurement for my design; setting the desired distance between bulb and trellis also dictated the overall diameter. To be more specific:

24" from bulb to trellis = diameter of 4', total area is pi x 4' diameter = 12.5 feet by 4 feet tall = 50 square feet

21" from bulb to trellis = diameter of 3.5', total area is pi x 3.5' diameter = 11 feet, by 4 feet tall = 44 sq ft

18" from bulb to trellis = diameter of 3', total area is pi x 3' diameter = 9.4 feet by 4 feet tall = 37 square feet.

I chose the middle option since I'm designing the whole thing around the light mover; too close if the bulb doesn't move, but big enough for good growing space.

mrfixit

mrfixit

So one good link deserves another; Oh my God he turned them INSIDE OUT! !

Good to see ya ttystikk!
Just did a run through on your thread and tagged it to follow. Looks good with a couple minor personal reservations (mainly ease of access relative to the light side) but, yep, I like the light distribution premise.
I'm in a holding pattern right at the moment in that most of what I'm currently growing are "slower" bushy plants with minimal vertical stretch, and I'm just starting a space expansion project for clones/smaller veg due to severe lack thereof ...Oh, and no predictable money/income at the moment which has an effect :)
Depending on "rearrangement" I may have more floor space and will continue to look at mods/options myself. I also need to simplify my ventilation paths to improve cfm with the upcoming warm season approaching! Temps are still one of my battles with the small space and overly complex/inefficient ducting I currently have...

mrfixit

mrfixit

Not on my end - with the exception of one "faster hybrid" my grows are slow and only one of those plants is within about 10 days from cut. The rest on the scrog have 6+ weeks average remaining and the inner/free standing are all ~30 days or less from having been flipped.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Good to see ya ttystikk!Just did a run through on your thread and tagged it to follow. Looks good with a couple minor personal reservations (mainly ease of access relative to the light side) but, yep, I like the light distribution premise.I'm in a holding pattern right at the moment in that most of what I'm currently growing are "slower" bushy plants with minimal vertical stretch, and I'm just starting a space expansion project for clones/smaller veg due to severe lack thereof ...Oh, and no predictable money/income at the moment which has an effect Depending on "rearrangement" I may have more floor space and will continue to look at mods/options myself. I also need to simplify my ventilation paths to improve cfm with the upcoming warm season approaching! Temps are still one of my battles with the small space and overly complex/inefficient ducting I currently have...

One of the main reasons I am doing this project at all is the high price of space, power and growing gear; if I can reduce these costs by half or more, I feel that will benefit everyone; grower, customer and the environment as a whole.

So far, the cost of parts for my 'Pogo' vertical light mover is less than HALF the cost of a standard reflector. The vertical ScrOG screen is 6" mesh baling wire field fencing, the RDWC tubs are $25 each at Home DePot, etc. The system offers 50sq ft of canopy space on a 5x5 footprint, including the space needed for access- that's a two for one increase right there!

Finally, power consumption. This is designed for just one thouie. My conventional style system uses 4 lights for the very same 50sq ft. It made 6 elbows, I'm hoping mine makes 3 its first time out. That would still represent a 50% reduction in electrical use per pound of product, AND a doubling of product output per Sq ft of floor space at the same time.

All this and I can stand up straight to trellis my girls? I'm all over it!

I'm not doing my project just to see if I can do it. Cost reduction is my game- if I find ways to grow indoors at half price, then I'm still making money when prices fall low enough that others are going out of business!

And prices WILL fall. Making shit cheaper is what Americans do best...

AlterNation

AlterNation

I thought that's what the Chinese did best... oh yeah I forgot they own half of America.

Top Bottom