Diy Auto Watering Help!!

• Thread starter north knect
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
north knect

north knect

Howdy folks..so I'm goin out of town this weekend and need to figure out a cheap way to make sure my girls don't dry out..they get bone dry and droop in 3days after watering and il be gone for 4days..perhaps some sort of DIY drip setup or Somthing? Idk lol but I'm sure I'm not the first one to run into this issue..or water and fill there drip trays up before I leave maybe? Idk if having the bottom submerged for a day or 2 will be disasterous and don't want to find out the hard way seeing my girls are half way through flowering..any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!!! Seriously lol..would just ask a friend but the ones I do trust mixing nutes and feeding are leaving town for Easter aswell..thx in advance happy farming :D

Toaster79

Toaster79

How much do they drink in three or four days? You could use soda botle or a milk jug, buy tubing and tees in pet store (6mm) and hang the bottle/jug, let the gravity do its job.

north knect

north knect

How much do they drink in three or four days? You could use soda botle or a milk jug, buy tubing and tees in pet store (6mm) and hang the bottle/jug, let the gravity do its job.
Both get a 1/4 gallon every two or three days,depending on how well I can maintain temps and humidity..won't be home to fill the humidifier so RH will drop to about 20% lights on and creeps up to 35 lights out...how much and often would the gravity pull the water out ?

north knect

north knect

Thinking about that I just thought of those glass ball and stem things I seen on an infomercial on tv lol..water globe I think they were called..maybe il look for some of those if there stocked anywhere this time of year at Walmart or somthing

Toaster79

Toaster79

That's what I had in mind at first. Those water globes, but don't know if you can find a 1/4 gallon size. Actually the soil sucks the water out of that globe. I've seen those at my friends and they keep the soil moist without runnig all the water out of them.

north knect

north knect

Ya I doubt I'd find a size big enuf but some is better than none..aleast give them an extra day I'd hope..that's really all I'd need with out doing harm..wat about those gel water crystals? If I did a layer on tops on my soil? I don't kno how well they work..especially being totally exposed

Toaster79

Toaster79

You could actually take a diper (huggies or something) and canibalise it to get that gel out. But keeping top of your pots too moist for too long you'll be asking for fungus gnats.

north knect

north knect

Lol ya no diapers left around these days haha..I've never had an issue with fungas gnats..do they just appear? It's too cold outside here (-15C) lots of snow so I kno there not living outside lol

Toaster79

Toaster79

I guess you're safe then.

Yea, seen that thing with a diaper on youtube. People mixing it with soil to keep moisture. This shit takes up huge amounts of water. But there's no room left for the roots and air then i guess.

north knect

north knect

I guess you're safe then.

Yea, seen that thing with a diaper on youtube. People mixing it with soil to keep moisture. This shit takes up huge amounts of water. But there's no room left for the roots and air then i guess.
With the crystals I saw at my hydro shop they contract when they dry up which gives you air pockets meaning your roots get more oxygen too..one small packet makes a wheel barrel full of the gel chunks..pretty neat looking but never used it..must give it a try with a few plants this summer

Toaster79

Toaster79

But that could be a problem there. Constantly contracting and expanding, first giving roots space to grow then crushing them. Dunno. We want those roots to grow as fast as possible, even in soil. Maybe try a side by side with two plants and see how it goes.

north knect

north knect

But that could be a problem there. Constantly contracting and expanding, first giving roots space to grow then crushing them. Dunno. We want those roots to grow as fast as possible, even in soil. Maybe try a side by side with two plants and see how it goes.
Its worth a try..ya il try it on a few and let ya all kno how it goes

Toaster79

Toaster79

I'll be having enough diapers to test with in a short so might aswell give it a shot myself :D

+++++Vibes

Top Bottom