DIY LED with COBs - small medium and large grows

• Thread starter SupraSPL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

Paldo

Paldo

Ye but mine cost less then 2$ hahaha :D It is 7,7x 6,3cm and 4,2cm high, should be ok without fun?

Your is almost 2x times bigger, should I look for bigger? But I think guy which sells me diods and makes lamps use 4x4cm and 2,5cm hight on 750mA on this diod, so my should be just fine :D

i will have 30W on a diod so this one should be more then enought I gues...

Paldo

Paldo

And why I use this diod? It cost me about.. less then 20$ and it have good performance. Is it a bad idea to use this one? Other cxb is 2x more pricey have the same performance, only han handle 2xmore W, I think this one is better in my case...

Paldo

Paldo

the price of lamp is a big factor here, I don't want to spend fortune :D

sixstring

sixstring

And why I use this diod? It cost me about.. less then 20$ and it have good performance. Is it a bad idea to use this one? Other cxb is 2x more pricey have the same performance, only han handle 2xmore W, I think this one is better in my case...
yes you should find a better diode.look into citizen cobs and luminous cobs,i think the citi is about 15.00 and luminous is about 10 bucks each.go talk to this guy,he will set you straight on cobs . http://cobkits.com/
very nice guy,very smart about cobs and price vs performance. send him email,tell him sixstring sent you :)

sixstring

sixstring

9.00 usd is pretty good value over older cree cobs.i have some of these in use here,very bright.

Paldo

Paldo

Ok, mayby U are right, but if it will make a big diference?
And about prices - ok 10$ but this is in US, and I'M from EU, I have checked this citizen and in my country it's two times more expensiv, so I will have 2x less diods for the same price, it dob't make a sens... Or mayby the diference in efectivnes is 50% or more, but I doubt it...
luminous - I can't find it here, and also they don't have 2700...

So I gues it's beter to stay with cree in my situacion.

Paldo

Paldo

And about spectrum - if I will have one lamp for veg on 4x3500k so if second will be only for flo, I think it's better to go with 4x2700 and don't mix it with 3000k if - as U say - 2700 is definitly better for flo?

So I think this will be best way to do it. If U have any sugestion U are welcome ;)

Paldo

Paldo

something wrong with that forum - do u see it?
Upload 2018 2 22 20 22 10

Upload 2018 2 22 20 21 24
Paldo

Paldo

Hahaha :D

But I see they also don't have it and I must wait a lot of time... :/

What about diods - cree or citzen?

L

lukem5

I'll go ahead and add my 2 cents of knowledge to this thread if someone hasn't already.

Us gaming and overclocking enthusiasts use a special heatsink thermal paste that works significantly better than any other, a few manufacturers make it but the original was "coolaboratory liquid pro.

if you want maximum cooling and lifespan from your LED this might be worth looking into, a bit pricey and the materials used are questionable- and I believe it contains mercury (not sure on this). I do remember some commentors in reviews saying it may have toxic heavy metals or something - which may volatilize into the air (like Mercury does).

Anyway, the stuff is thermal transfer gold because its the only "liquid metal" paste there is.

L

lukem5

Also look into "lapping" this is where you get progressively finer grits of sandpaper and "flatten" the bottom of the heatsink and LED mating surface (and then polish to a mirror finish with fines) so they form a completely perfect fit (you'll be surprised how warped the surfaces are when you start sanding)

This is another great trick to help with temps drastically. And yes, it takes time and effort. Hopefully the manufacturers can just start doing it themselves but it's still rather "esoteric" gamer knowledge right now lol.

L

lukem5

I'd like to ask - since this thread has started what has changed with LED technology in ~5 years? A ton changed in the 5 years from ~2009-2014 this is when LED growing took off. Any new more efficient LED or ballast? Any new combos of LED spectrum that produce best results for veg and flower?

Top Bottom