Doing Things A Little Different..

• Thread starter Leg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Leg

Hi, I'm new to this and looking to grow for medical reasons. Here's my master plan:

Grow tent: I thinking of getting a smaller tent 90cm, 90cm, 60cm (height,width, depth) as it's easier to fit in my flat and easier to tend to. I want the setup to me almost silent.

Grow lights : I want to go for LED lighting, but they seem either weak and/ or overpriced. So I'm looking at an led floodlight (~200 watts). 6000k covers the full spectrum. Plus thinner, even if I do need to add a fan to it.

Hydroponics: (I've read it's not advisable for newbs) thinking of going DWC, but not so deep as height is limited so I don't want to waste it. Plan on using a drip tray (they're used to contain chemicals), seen one that is 15cm, 80cm, 60cm (h,w,d), 40 litres so should be a nice fit. Not sure how many basket holes to cut (3, 4, 6)? Using 2 or 3 piezoelectric air pumps (small & quiet) with twice the number of the air-bricks. Want to maximise the space.

Carbon filter: Again they seem overpriced and can't even change the carbon (why?), and can probably build one myself with some pipe and pellets, that I can change! I'm planning to use PC fans with a controller (have plenty, I'm a bit of a geek).

Also plan to add a webcam, so I can monitor it with a nice time lapse, and obviously a temp+humidity sensor.

So yeah, that's my plan so far (told ya it was a little different). I welcome any feedback or if there's any major flaws.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Hi, I'm new to this and looking to grow for medical reasons. Here's my master plan:

Grow tent: I thinking of getting a smaller tent 90cm, 90cm, 60cm (height,width, depth) as it's easier to fit in my flat and easier to tend to. I want the setup to me almost silent.

Grow lights : I want to go for LED lighting, but they seem either weak and/ or overpriced. So I'm looking at an led floodlight (~200 watts). 6000k covers the full spectrum. Plus thinner, even if I do need to add a fan to it.

Hydroponics: (I've read it's not advisable for newbs) thinking of going DWC, but not so deep as height is limited so I don't want to waste it. Plan on using a drip tray (they're used to contain chemicals), seen one that is 15cm, 80cm, 60cm (h,w,d), 40 litres so should be a nice fit. Not sure how many basket holes to cut (3, 4, 6)? Using 2 or 3 piezoelectric air pumps (small & quiet) with twice the number of the air-bricks. Want to maximise the space.

Carbon filter: Again they seem overpriced and can't even change the carbon (why?), and can probably build one myself with some pipe and pellets, that I can change! I'm planning to use PC fans with a controller (have plenty, I'm a bit of a geek).

Also plan to add a webcam, so I can monitor it with a nice time lapse, and obviously a temp+humidity sensor.

So yeah, that's my plan so far (told ya it was a little different). I welcome any feedback or if there's any major flaws.
Dude i don’t know what kind of a flat you live in but if any smell leaking can cause you problems in any way. Buy a great carbon filter, definitely buy an “immaculate” one. Also agree with @MissBotany about color temperatures.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Get a taller tent. With the size of that thing any light will turn it in a fernus if you plan to grow enough to get you throug between your runs. With 90cm height you'll be breaking yours and your plants neck.

I built a wooden box size of 80x80x60cm running 150W "quantum" light in there with the light actually being the box cover. I run this in my basement where temps are way lower than in my apartment and this thing gets hot quick without proper ventilation. Also my driver is installed outside.

And get the proper CCT. 6000K won't get you far. You'll have squat and leafy plants without much flower to harvest. 3500K would be perfect.

IMG 20180503 201806 490
IMG 20180506 205111 672
IMG 20180514 210248 486

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Get a taller tent. With the size of that thing any light will turn it in a fernus if you plan to grow enough to get you throug between your runs. With 90cm height you'll be breaking yours and your plants neck.

I built a wooden box size of 80x80x60cm running 150W "quantum" light in there with the light actually being the box cover. I run this in my basement where temps are way lower than in my apartment and this thing gets hot quick without proper ventilation. Also my driver is installed outside.
Wow i read that 190 my first time (i think my mind rejected to believe). Yeah 90 is going to be hard to keep cool man, and he has quantum boards you say you are going to use floodlight, now without knowing your light i can safely say they are not going to be efficent as qb’s and they will lose more energy as heat, so it will get hotter.

Top Bottom