Dutch Police Reveal A Simple Way To Tell If Your Neighbor Is Illegally Growing Pot

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
What's the biggest problem for illicit marijuana cultivators? In the Netherlands, it might be snow. According to local police, dwellers whose houses are oddly snow-free despite precipitation are being closely monitored and suspected of illegally cultivating marijuana.

On Thursday, Dutch police released a photo of one cannabis plantation in the city of Haarlem that was revealed due to a strange lack of white cover.

Kijk eens in uw wijk naar de daken. Geen sneeuw? Mogelijke#hennepkwekerij. Bel 0900-8844 of anoniem 0800-7000. ^pspic.twitter.com/X0zFZWEnNp

— Politie Delft (@PolDelft) February 5, 2015

The cultivation of marijuana requires temperatures that are far above those common in residential buildings. Dutch news reports indicate that the police strategy of looking for snow-free areas is routinely used and that Dutch authorities have uncovered illegal pot plantations in residential homes throughout the country.

On Monday, for instance, officials had raided a pot farm in the city ofZutphen where they found a bedroom filled with 88 marijuana plants. Two days later, one person was arrested in Arnhem after police discovered a similar plantation.

The news might seem strange given the country's global reputation: the Netherlands is usually known for its liberal policies regarding the possession and growth of cannabis. However, Dutch citizens are only allowed to grow up to five cannabis plants, and carry up to five grams of weed (0.17 ounces).

Contrary to some other countries and states in the U.S., the Netherlands has recently made efforts to limit the consumption of marijuana. Only residents are allowed to consume the drug in coffee shops, but most municipalities do not enforce this rule.

In other countries, investigators have adopted more sophisticated approaches that do not depend on snowfall. British police officers use heat-sensing helicopters to uncover illegal cannabis plantations, for instance.

In 2013, the West Midlands Police department released a video on YouTube that showed a plantation through such a camera. Back then, authorities raided an apartment in which they found 143 cannabis plan

West Midlands Police Deputy Air Operations Manager Martin Knowlessaid in 2013: "Our thermal cameras can detect unusually high temperatures coming from properties several thousand feet away – anyone growing cannabis on a commercial scale, using rows of heat lamps, runs the very real risk their criminality will be rumbled from the skies."

The Netherlands prove that normal eye vision might be equally sufficient to achieve this goal. On Thursday, Harleem's police emphasized this by advising citizens via Twitter to report suspicious rooftops.

As of Friday, however, reactions to this recommendation were primarily negative. Some users pointed to the fact that such advice could lead to wrong suspicions against sauna owners. One commentator was saddened by the loss of those "poor plants", whereas another Twitter user advised the police to investigate real criminals, such as bankers and police officers.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I guess in the Netherlands you don't need a warrant to use FLIR (forward laser infrared).
They do sort of but all they need to get that is suspicion, and all they need to get that is an anonymous tip (through a special phone number, called "report crime anonymous". Which has been an ongoing trend for years, snitching neighbors that is, fueled by the anti-cannabis propaganda from the current government. In many areas they spread scratch-and-sniff cards to teach snitching people what a cannabis grow (opposed to dried bud or smoke) smells like.

The molten snow on roofs is a classic because many do grow in attics. I don't, not even on top floor of the building so not an issue for me.

For a clear impression of the amount of grows raided and what they look like, google (images) for "hennepkwekerij" (hennep = hemp)

Hennepkwekerij

"Another one raided!"

"Do you suspect a hempgrow in your neighbordhood?"
" Call (anonymous) ..."

Needless to say words like fascists, traitors, NSB (dutch traitors in WWII), etc. are commonly expressed by growers and users.

If I don't like someone, I could call that number, tell them I suspect a grow, and they will scan for heat and look for other signs (condensation on windows for example, smell, electricity usage, etc). If they get one confirmation, they can not only enter the home, but in many cities the mayor "closes" the building. People with kids get kicked out of their homes. I would definitely get kicked out of my home (rental) if they find more than 5 plants, although the filled jars alone will do that. After harvest I got more than a coffeeshop is allowed to have in shop (500gr, hence the kids on the bikes delivering bud to shops all day). That the government, the judges often rule in favor of the grower, ruling guilty without penalty (typical dutch thing like the whole tolerance policy). It's madness. What many people don't realize is that it was never legal here, the cops are just pussies, the laws and penalties are mild, and jails and prison are more comfortable than many hotels abroad (not that people go to prison for growing mj). So we just did it, and do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom