Ethylene Gas And How It May Or May Not Be Effecting Your Crop

• Thread starter Bangarang
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bangarang

I have been dealing with various genetics herming on me over the years. I have addressed many variables and non of which have resolved the problem. So now i am going to fine tune things just a bit. This is where all of you farmers can help me out... once again.
I run a sealed room that does not get fresh air that often because i fear that i will introduce pathogens. It has happened with Powdery Mildew and such because it is difficult to treat the intake of air. I also use a propane burner which i plan on ditching once i can get a controlled reading.
I am searching for an O2 sensor and an Ethylene sensor. I was hoping not to spend too much on these tools but am willing to pay the price if that is what it comes to.
This is a great article that keeps things simple. http://www.hort.cornell.edu/mattson/leatherwood/
This is a great article about various detection methods.
Conclusion: "Several types of sensors for monitoring ethylene production in plants were presented. Ideally, a sensor should monitor ethylene quickly, sensitive, with high selectivity and should be available at low costs. Unfortunately, such a sensor does not exist at the moment"

Ethylene, a small colorless, odorless gas composed of two carbon and four hydrogen atoms (C2H4), is responsible for both beneficial and undesirable effects in greenhouse crops. It can prevent flowering, shorten internode length, increase branching, initiate fruit ripening, trigger leaf and flower senescence and abscission, cause leaf chlorosis (yellowing), and improve adventitious rooting. Some crops are relatively insensitive to ethylene while others are very sensitive.

Dont know the price point yet but this seems to be the unit.

This unit is overkill yet it allows you to see all of the variables such as Temp Co2 ... at the same time as seeing what the ethylene levels are. I am unclear on how the air is supposed to be moved through the unit.

The next unit seems good yet it does not allow you the ability to connect to a computer to see what your numbers are at various times
http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/D...=49849374039&gclid=COmWwsnGtMICFUdefgod85YACA

B

Bangarang

There are scrubbers but this does not address the problem in the correct way.

So if the air passes through a UV-light does this eliminate airborne spores?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
There are scrubbers but this does not address the problem in the correct way.

So if the air passes through a UV-light does this eliminate airborne spores?

No there still there, there just Sterile unable to reproduce..

C

crocodile og

Ethylene should keep your plants from herming. Its the mode of action in sprays like ethaphon, reverse, sensa spray etc. You're going to use the monitors to ensure correct (higher) levels?

Coir

Coir

A simple and effective way to tell if Ethylene is a problem in your room..... Plant a tomato. Tomatoes are one(if not the) most sensitive plant to ethylene and will show symptoms within hours of being exposed to tiny levels. I have tried sensors before and they showed nothing while the tomatoes suffered terribly. A pinhole leak in the heat exchanger of a propane furnace was all it took to almost completely wipe out the entire tomato crop. The other vegetables in the same greenhouse weren't showing any signs for weeks and recovered completely while the tomatoes took months to fully recover.
I really wish I did not know this information but although an expensive lesson, at least I will know what it is right away if I ever see it again!

N

noone88

I have changed my CO2 settings to the lowest settings for my sealed/minisplit/propane burners rooms. I also try to air out the rooms whenever i'm in there by leaving the door open for an hour.

Whatever off-gas is being produced is the cause of the problems in those rooms.

N

noone88

An update, if anyone is getting weird looking deficiencies in their leaves that looks a bit like Cal/Mg deficiency in the whole room, try switching to CO2 tanks.

We have ditched all of our LP burners and went to bottled CO2. Our yields our up and our plants are super healthy.

Top Bottom