Experience With Foliar Spray?

• Thread starter Snakeskins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Hi and thx for reading. Foliar spray can be directly beneficial to cannabis veg-growth and I have no way of controlling humidity so I want to try it out or even "experiment" with it.

I also have a healthy aloe vera plant that I could take leaves from. The idea is to use the fresh gel as part of the foliar-spray mix. Sounds good. I'm really not sure why.

Please please lend me your knowledge if you have experience with aloe vera, or any of this collection for foliar spray applications. I want to use it for two clones in coco coir.

Experience with foliar spray
Experience with foliar spray 2
BioStimz

BioStimz

Foliar spray can be directly beneficial to cannabis veg-growth and I have no way of controlling humidity so I want to try it out or even "experiment" with it.

The idea is to use the fresh gel as part of the foliar-spray mix. Sounds good. I'm really not sure why.

I wouldn't use it as a foliar. The aloe mucilage will likely leave a viscous layer on the leaves
- not good in terms of a harborage point for humidity & mold. I could also see this as an obstacle for nutrient dispersion.

~

Last edited:
H

hawkman

remember to foliage spray/feed before the lights come-on (start about 15 minutes before) and spray the under-sides of the leaves (this is were the stoma's are which up-takes the nutrients)

BioStimz

BioStimz

remember to foliage spray/feed before the lights come-on (start about 15 minutes before) and spray the under-sides of the leaves (this is were the stoma's are which up-takes the nutrients)

Just to add.... the stomates are open until early evening hours, but can re-open in response to reduced CO2 concentration in darkness.

~

Last edited:
Organikz

Organikz

I wouldn't use it as a foliar. The aloe mucilage will likely leave a viscous layer on the leaves - not good in terms of a harborage point for humidity & mold. I could also see this as an obstacle for nutrient dispersion.

~
Incorrect, aloe contains saponin and salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is the active ingredient in acne medicine. Saponin is a wetting agent.

@Snakeskins
I will say it's going to be more beneficial to feed through the roots. As you probably know the whole objective is to move water through the roots and out of the plant through stomata while setting carbon. Aloe is going to benefit your roots more as well. Look up saponin chemical formula it's c23h43o3 or some shit. It's like an organic gardeners hydrogen peroxide. Salicylic acid also triggers a plants SAR (systemic acquired resistance)

Aloe is part of my normal mix 1 tsp per quart when I mix neem oil/soap nut foliar. Makes a better coverage coat.

BioStimz

BioStimz

Incorrect, aloe contains saponin and salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is the active ingredient in acne medicine. Saponin is a wetting agents.

So what does that have to do with the leftover aloe mucilage on the leaves?

How exactly am I "incorrect"?

Organikz

Organikz

There is no leftover...it dissolves. You mix it in warm water. I do it every week. Saponin is also an emulsifier.

Organikz

Organikz

Nice. Thank you.
If you're worried build a soil sells powdered 200x flakes. 1/4 tsp per gallon or 1/4 cup of pureed and strained aloe. Honestly I just cut a filet off and mush it up with my finger and just throw it in. My sprayer has a strainer.

There's no exact science.

Organikz

Organikz

@Snakeskins
Sorry I missed the part about clones. Aloe is awesome for clones. I use aloe Vera as cloning gel. That salicylic acid also promotes root shoots. Feeding clone aloe and fulvic acid. You can't burn them.

BioStimz

BioStimz

If you're worried build a soil sells powdered 200x flakes. 1/4 tsp per gallon or 1/4 cup of pureed and strained aloe. Honestly I just cut a filet off and mush it up with my finger and just throw it in. My sprayer has a strainer.

There's no exact science.

Nah... I was just concerned with the potential for a build-up of film on the leaves, but knowing you have had success with this method.... I'll just run with it.

H

hawkman

would not use as a foliage spray also !! do you use a "wetting" agent ( they increase the amount of nutrient up-take which is why one foliage feeds one should foliage feed nutrients such as nutrient that are 3 part, ect)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey fellas whats up.

I typically only use foliar application to diagnose perceived nute deficiencies. The reason being is a foliar application is a more direct quicker route to see if there are any changes in the plants condition. I also believe the majority of feeding should be done thru the media and rhizosphere. Foliar feeding cuts out the microherd and their contributions.And again I scout out deficiencies using foliar due to the rapid response time as opposed to rootzone applications. Just my way. Not necessarily the right way for everyone. :D

H

hawkman

makes sense !! thanks - if one does it =--- 1x a month with a cal-mag spray (extreme gardening.com) it helps and one can see a difference in one day !! other than that too much work if one has many plants - 3 +

H

hawkman

you can feed thru leaves - there are some products especially for foliage feeding - I you try it feed 2x's a week but in flower no so much because of you buds foliage feed in pre-flower stage and may-be 1 week in early flower) have seen very good results/benefit's in it - But More Work !!!!!!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Interesting..... I typically only use foliar-applications to rapidly [resolve] nute deficiencies. You've got my interest peaked.
in a nutshell I was sayn what you said. Just different way around it. I like foliar to resolve /scout out nute issues cause of the rapid response time compared to rootzone highway.

Last edited:
H

hawkman

in a nutshell I was sayn what you said. Just different way around it. I like foliar to resolve /scou nute issues cause of the rapid response time compared to rootzone highway.
Yea ! but don't do it much because of the extra work (maybe 1-2x's while in veg)

Top Bottom