• Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MCPotential

Soil Medium: In Ground 40gal holes or so
Qty: 8
Avg Height: 6 ft
Issue: Sinkholes in my soil?

As I'm watering I noticed a break through in the soil which seemed to go for ever. I filled these holes multiple times and I don't have a bigger issue on my hands?

I have had some mole/Gopher problems this year but I'm worried it's root rot or in soil infestation, although my plants seem to be moving along slowly but surely. hole's are 2-3inchs by 2-3 inchs and seem to widen as I'm watering.

I hope it's just aggressive settling of the soil.
Any ideas guys?

Pictures didn't show up well...

M

MCPotential

No I have those in my yard as well probly ground mice and or snakes, these holes probly the same size but 6 inchs from my stock of plant.

It drinks up my liquids (water/Nutrient) like it never ends, while dirt collects in the water it seems to get bigger....worried about light leaks etc. My initial guess was setting dirt from a mole/Gopher I kills last week

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Gopher, I got them to. Haven’t been near the garden though. Im out in Hillsboro are there gopher mounds around your garden?

M

MCPotential

Gopher, I got them to. Haven’t been near the garden though. Im out in Hillsboro are there gopher mounds around your garden?
Yes, moles holes begin around my garden due to the heat (lack of water). They started around my plants then it got bad, 5 mounts per plant so I think I got him last week and havnt seen anything since!

I'm gonna fill the holes I have and keep and eye on it!

I'm in the 5-6 aka Happy Valley

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Sounds like he dug rite under your plants. Give them a good root stimulater feeding. They’ll be fine. I’m in the ground also let’s see some pics.

M

MCPotential

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing width yes lame I kno!

Anyone see anything I'm missing here?? Fungi Gnats don't destroy this much as I know, root rot would over smell flowering, Gopher in thought I killed already, I'm putting night vision Camera s on then tonight see what's going in or out

IMG 20180905 194053
IMG 20180905 195548
M

MCPotential

Sounds like he dug rite under your plants. Give them a good root stimulater feeding. They’ll be fine. I’m in the ground also let’s see some pics.
Plants seem to be slowly slowly still moving along @1diesel1 here's some late pics from tonight if the biz

IMG 20180905 200834
IMG 20180905 200824
Hoptastic

Hoptastic

Portland, huh? It may be rats!

My parents live there and lost several blueberry bushes due to burrowing rats. Unlike moles they like to nest in and eat the roots of large plants.

M

MCPotential

Portland, huh? It may be rats!

My parents live there and lost several blueberry bushes due to burrowing rats. Unlike moles they like to nest in and eat the roots of large plants.
Funny that you mention that, we have quick a few ground mice or rats around, they burrow into and under the sidewalks bordering my house, I'm gonna set up my cameras and will keep updating

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing width yes lame I kno!

Anyone see anything I'm missing here?? Fungi Gnats don't destroy this much as I know, root rot would over smell flowering, Gopher in thought I killed already, I'm putting night vision Camera s on then tonight see what's going in or out

I've had a lot of strange pests in my garden but I never ever thought I'd have to worry about potatoes!

M

MCPotential

We also had a bunch of snakes in the yard this year but who knows, I'm gonna review a some the footage at midnight but might have to wait til morning to see anything more to come*

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Well I’m waiting for that game cam footage! Let’s a get a pool going!
1. Rats
2. Gophers
3. The deadly “potatoes “:)
4. Snakes: yikes

I’m thinking gophers! Hate those fuckers.

Considering Oregon has similar pests to us here in the Cali Sierras and the plant doesn't appear to be munched on... I vote Voles (underground kind of kangaroo mouse thing).

M

MCPotential

For those of you that have been anticipated I'm happy to tell you i hold in my possession proof. See pics. I think that's vole or field mouse, regardless I'm gonna smoke them to death....for ever

IMG 20180906 065819
IMG 20180906 065835
IMG 20180906 065845

123grow

MOLES!!! They make tunnels in the dirt, then when you get them wet/spray water on them they cave in. Either way you end up with a hole where the mole started and the water goes straight down like a drain. ~ Julie

123grow

Last grow we chased them from one end of the patch to the other, literally. Bought 4 mole chasers, kept moving them from plant to plant, one end to the other. All around the outside of the boxes there's mounds and tunnels of dirt and most made their way INTO the boxes. We put chicken wire down in each box before the soil, but we thought the moles were going in between the pieces of chicken wire since they weren't tied together. So this grow we zip tied the chicken wire pieces together to make one piece thinking that they wouldn't be able to get through, but... duh, THE HOLES IN THE CHICKEN WIRE WE ARE USING ARE TOO BIG! lol so the moles are back again this grow! ~Julie

123grow

In 2 of my pools where my other plants are I am having the same problem, I water and it goes right down the drain. I just put rocks in the holes and put a mole chaser in the dirt. Since the pools are from last grow they must have got a hole in the bottom big enough for them to get in. That's the 1st time they've gotten in the pools. ~Julie

Top Bottom