Experiments Doomed To Failure

• Thread starter crimsonecho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
If you share your doomed experiments and we can make a fun thread out of this :D

And here is a little experiment doomed to fail.
Took like 10 minutes to put together.
This is a basic dwc setup (and i use the term lightly) i did yesterday with an air pump i use for aacts, an empty worm castings tub (1,3 gal) and some basic micro pot for seedlings.
I’m just trying to see how the system works.
I didn’t had any hydro nutes so used biobizz. The bloom and fishmix (among others) are also suitable for hydro as it seems. At least thats the claim they make on their site.
No ppm meter. Shitty ph pen. Ph climbs daily at unbelieveable rates :). Using citric acid for adjustment which is not ideal but nothing is ideal with this setup.
Also temp of the water is constantly high. Like warm when you put your hand in :)
It’s gonna die for sure but want to see how long it’ll last. No intention of doing hydro.
Experiments doomed to failure
Experiments doomed to failure 2
Experiments doomed to failure 3

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Roots are growing for now (waiting for the algae to pop up any time :))

Day1
65DEA8E2 571E 4FC3 94D1 2DF6AB05BE8F

Day2
3AF4BBCC 7113 418A BB94 AF75EB052EAD

Some “bennies” in there also like voodoo juice and piranha that has been sitting open for 6 months. Its a good way to get rid of stuff you don’t have any use for anymore.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
It’ll be an interesting experiment either way. I’ll be watching.

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

Get yourself a bit of hypochlorous acid and you'll at least eliminate the heat issues. Keep the solution as sterile as possible

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Get yourself a bit of hypochlorous acid and you'll at least eliminate the heat issues. Keep the solution as sterile as possible
Not trying to get results ;)
And still getting better results as of now then many newbies.
I know how to run hydro in theory thats why i listed everything i’m doing wrong.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Fan outside the tub to keep air flowing kinda works like a an evaporation cooler. Will be as warm as ambient surrounding temp. That’s how I keep my dwc cloner cool. My ambient temp is about 68 year around so works for me! I also use hypocholrous for heat control and no Bennies. Sterile.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Fan outside the tub to keep air flowing kinda works like a an evaporation cooler. Will be as warm as ambient surrounding temp. That’s how I keep my dwc cloner cool. My ambient temp is about 68 year around so works for me! I also use hypocholrous for heat control and no Bennies. Sterile.
Nice setup. This sits on the ground which is concrete under the tent. Its actually like 21C or so now. The ph spikes kinda narrowed in margin. Again not expecting any results just want to see how it works mechanically. Like how deep water should be, aeration and phing and stuff.
Yeah maybe i can use what i gather thru this experiment for making a bubble cloner or something.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
One -2 inch or 4 cm above bottom of pot. Submerged . Water level wise.
Ph swings when she starts drinking. Usually ppl panic and start adding stuff. I watch it and let her range 5-6.5. I start at 5 and usually she will creep up to about 6.8 before I add ph down( lemon juice) . Do 1:8 strenght nuttes once I see water level drop to about base bottom of pots , then it’s a matter of adjusting water level based on ml loss I makeup nutes and water to feed if you don’t have ppm/ tds meter. The plant will quickly tell ya if she is hungry or too fat! Lol

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
One -2 inch or 4 cm above bottom of pot. Submerged . Water level wise.
Ph swings when she starts drinking. Usually ppl panic and start adding stuff. I watch it and let her range 5-6.5. I start at 5 and usually she will creep up to about 6.8 before I add ph down( lemon juice) . Do 1:8 strenght nuttes once I see water level drop to about base bottom of pots , then it’s a matter of adjusting water level based on ml loss I makeup nutes and water to feed if you don’t have ppm/ tds meter. The plant will quickly tell ya if she is hungry or too fat! Lol
Well i’m actually keeping it a little lower, like 2 cm below the bottom of the pot. Lots of bubbles from that eheim.
Aeration also raises ph and i think its what i’m having. Also not much precision with my phing, ph pen is shitty. Did 5, 5.5 and i’m gonna keep it around there. In 24 hrs its at 7.6 or something like that :)
Well anyway enjoy the ride till algae or some other thing fucks it up. This is just an experiment.
I wont let it die tho, pull before that horrible fate, hopefully :)

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

Not trying to get results ;)
And still getting better results as of now then many newbies.
I know how to run hydro in theory thats why i listed everything i’m doing wrong.
Back in my basement RDWC days I used to run my air pumps inside of a modified chest freezer (that way I wasn't sucking ambient temp air from the room.) Used to use of as a kegerator, but upgraded and needed to do something with it. Definitely helped keep everything stable while the system was full. Was able to keep my nute solution away from the res for as long as I wanted and never had to worry about straying form 62-64°

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Back in my basement RDWC days I used to run my air pumps inside of a modified chest freezer (that way I wasn't sucking ambient temp air from the room.) Used to use of as a kegerator, but upgraded and needed to do something with it. Definitely helped keep everything stable while the system was full. Was able to keep my nute solution away from the res for as long as I wanted and never had to worry about straying form 62-64°
Shoot one of those water dispenser that has. The lil fridge on bottom would be epic to do

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

Shoot one of those water dispenser that has. The lil fridge on bottom would be epic to do
Yeah, would work for a single or maybe even 2 pumps, just have to make sure it can get cold enough to allow for air to be properly drawn (had to out holes in my freezer or else it would create significant vacuum.) I used to run 1 EcoPlus 7 Air Pump for every 5 diffusers (Deep Water Innovations OS-5) so I'd have 6 of them going at all times

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Yeah, would work for a single or maybe even 2 pumps, just have to make sure it can get cold enough to allow for air to be properly drawn (had to out holes in my freezer or else it would create significant vacuum.) I used to run 1 EcoPlus 7 Air Pump for every 5 diffusers (Deep Water Innovations OS-5) so I'd have 6 of them going at all times
I’m actually gonna make a prototype as I have a few of these water coolers laying around. I’m actually gonna make a coil out of 1/8” copper and run that into the bucket with a secondary coil feeding solution through , just gotta figure out cut off at set temp

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I am in for a show. Sometimes the projects we have no expectations for are the ones that turn out the best.
This will not i can guarantee that :)
Tho making a bubble cloner is a good idea. Once shit hits the fan with this i will cut various other holes and use this as a cloner.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Day5
993CAFA6 C661 42DB 9011 DE63AC86174D
F1725ED0 6F66 4E0D 8367 39A2F1E81E77

See the nice green/brown tint, thats what healthy roots look like. Been laying on my ass, a gout attack which resolved pretty quickly to my suprise :) couldn’t adjust ph or check the roots. Changed the nute water. This is a very tiny system just 1.3 gal so not much stability. The bottom of the pot and the airstone covered in brown algae. I think the purple tub is letting in much light so covered it with black fabric which is letting in a bit of light too :D. It would be much better to tape it with a reflective tape or something.
Washed it, added colloidal silver to the tank (little too much tho :) like 1 cup (i think it comes to about 0.5 percent of the solution and this is 50ppm solution so actually it isn’t that much). It was just laying around the house for a while so it shouldn’t be that potent.
Anyway its a test plant. As you can see i have some clear browning on the leaves there. Its because i haven’t been adding cal-mag i think, after adding some plant perked up for sure.
So all in all things are going great because this is an experiment to fail :D

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
8B036988 DB0C 4EEA 9651 62C1ADA13888
Haha silly me, i completely forgot i had these insulating materials and aluminium tape :) this should work better, tho not much better since still its a pretty fucked up setup. :D

Top Bottom