Fcc Set To Vote On Net Neutrality

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Among all the things that happened in 2014, none was probably more important than net neutrality. Even with all of the incredible scientific discoveries and with marijuana laws and genetic research and celestial sightings and record breaking FDA approvals and web hackers and nutrition information and climate change; even when considering all of these things, net neutrality still probably wins out.

At least, in the United States.

And the reason for this is because the internet was never designed to be a profitable entity. It was designed to distribute information. It is, after all, nicknamed the “Information Superhighway.”

But, of course, someone has to do the work of building the networks that deliver all of this information. And since so many people want to have fast and reliable internet access, companies will work very hard to build those networks; and they will charge a fee for them.

And, at least in America, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That is the foundation of the Free Enterprise system.

However, the problem with net neutrality is that broadband providers want to charge more to high bandwidth services. This means that companies which have built empires on providing things like streaming entertainment or video news will have to pay more to provide their service and that means that customers will also have to pay more and if there is anything that the Free Enterprise has proven it is that consumers do not like being forced to suddenly pay more for a service that has not changed to provide them with more benefit.

Anyway, long story short, the Federal Communications Commission still has to vote on the guidelines for net neutrality.

If you enjoy getting your news on the internet, you should hope that “net neutrality” wins in the end.

I remember back in the late 90's early 2000's reading that japan most of them anyway had 100mbit direct into there fucking apartments and shit and i was struggling to download mp3s on 1.5mbit cable that just came out!

Tier systems can suck a fat one, Lay the fiber, set the price and unleash the bandwidth... Its like charging for a long distance call that shit never made sense to me nor does a tier system for bandwidth.. Everyone should have free access to the internet at a min broadband speed provided by our government or state ( funded by the feds )

Those who can afford to pay should pay there share but no more then there neighbor for better speeds... BW is a pool we all share from giving higher paying customers faster ping will only bring further issues from customers down the line, hacking modems unleashing linux! ;) who didn't do that in the 90's to there cable?

Anyway i hope the FCC comes down on the side of the consumer for a change but i won't be surprised 1 bit if they support pay for premium service..

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

Telecommunications Act of 1934 revisited. As a manager for an ISP and LAN/WAN design engineer myself, I have a lot of thoughts on this one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom