Fg Not Root Aphids Rite?

• Thread starter katelyn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
katelyn

katelyn

had root aphids last crop but took preventative measures before planting seeds. Everything got bleached in hot water...my seedlings up until week 3 were not getting good air flow beneath small pots...week 4 transplanted now..can anyone tell me if this is a fungus gnat..preatty sure it is they fly fairly slow and sloppy and not towards the light? @Seamaiden @GT21

Fg not root aphids rite
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
had root aphids last crop but took preventative measures before planting seeds. Everything got bleached in hot water...my seedlings up until week 3 were not getting good air flow beneath small pots...week 4 transplanted now..can anyone tell me if this is a fungus gnat..preatty sure it is they fly fairly slow and sloppy and not towards the light? @Seamaiden @GT21
gnat... they like dirt when it never really drys out... if you make sure and get a good wet/dry cycle going on they hate it.

katelyn

katelyn

gnat... they like dirt when it never really drys out... if you make sure and get a good wet/dry cycle going on they hate it.
thank you for confirming gnat instead of root aphid.freaked me out since i took a major loss from them..this is the girls now only killed about 7 gnats flying around so far

20161230 170522
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
thank you for confirming gnat instead of root aphid.freaked me out since i took a major loss from them..
No problem. .. heres a pic to ease your mind... just let the medium dry out well and throw up some fly traps and youll be good. They really are not plant killers.. just pests. They really like soil that stays wet.. so if you dry it out a bit it really messes with them.

Screenshot 2016 12 30 19 21 26
katelyn

katelyn

No problem. .. heres a pic to ease your mind... just let the medium dry out well and throw up some fly traps and youll be good. They really are not plant killers.. just pests. They really like soil that stays wet.. so if you dry it out a bit it really messes with them.
Looks just like them. Thank god couldnt deal with ra again..ya ill be sure to let em dry out more then i have been. Ive got 2 plants u cant see there that are behind and staying really wet

katelyn

katelyn

Lightly bury some pieces of potatoe leave for a couple days then pull out gently and inspect. FG maggots are translucent w bulbous heads black eyes and they cant resist a potato. Don't know much about RAs myself think their body not segmented vs FG is segmented or other way around.....FG larvaeView attachment 656253
If they persist to much ill try it out thanks..

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Looks just like them. Thank god couldnt deal with ra again..ya ill be sure to let em dry out more then i have been. Ive got 2 plants u cant see there that are behind and staying really wet
Dont keep watering them.. it wont get better... let that pot get nice and light when you lift it.... best wishes

katelyn

katelyn

Ive got scotch tape hanging everywere and made a sticky board with scotch tape until payday

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I use bti, spinosad, and neem on different applications. The gnats seems to just have certain gnats that resist the pest control and after 6 or so months they become an all out infestation of super gnats that are resistant to everything I toss on them. Then I buy nematodes and they go away for another 6 months.

katelyn

katelyn

Guys what about watering with mosquito dunk or mosquito bits..or should i let my soil just dry rite out see if it wacks them out..also im running 18 6 atm. Should i switch to 24 hours light wgile my soil crisps out. Want to give 24 hours dark soon then switch to 12 12?

Last edited:
katelyn

katelyn

Ok thanks well honestly so far i have only let the soil get really dry and squash the flyers when i turn the fan off for a few and seems to have knocked them back to maybe 1 buzzing around when the fans off so i thi k i caught them before they got to bad..heres a pic. Least i dont have to deal with an infestation!

20170105 104418

Latest posts

Top Bottom