Germinating Question (newbie)

• Thread starter donweed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

donweed

Hi, i have tried putting some seeds in a jiffy pellet following instruction.

The relative humidity in the box is between 70-80%; temperature is stable around 26-28 celcius.

It has been 48 hours and nothing is coming up. From what i am reading this is absolutely normal. I am keeping the box on top of my water heater in a pitch dark area.

Should i take the box out to the sun ? My logic is that if it sprout it will be looking for sun / light ?

Also, should i periodically add water to the jiffy pellet ?

Can someone help me out with this step ? Thank you.

Last edited:
Dbear180

Dbear180

I like to soak seeds in water until they pop & then into a wet paper towel for a day til they grow a tail, helps make sure I dont waste my time on duds. From there its into 4 inch pots with the tail going down. Couple weeks later into 1 gals. I try to not let them develop to much of a condensed rootball until they are in 7 gals where they will finish.

Dbear180

Dbear180

& I would just keep the box on a kitchen counter out of direct sunlight.

D

donweed

I appreciate your reply. In that case should i try to dig them out and re start or just be patient an other 48 hours ?

MissBotany

MissBotany

If they are still in jiffy pellets, put them under a warm white light. Before germinated seeds break soil, they need the light from the red spectrum to grow towards. I just use a cheap 50watt philips agro plant light (found mine at Home Depot). As soon as they break soil, I put them under my regular grow light because that philips agro is HOT and will burn your seedlings.

Dbear180

Dbear180

I appreciate your reply. In that case should i try to dig them out and re start or just be patient an other 48 hours ?

Nah dont dig them out, just keep them moist (not drenched) & you'll be ok. They popped outta the ground by themselves for 1000s of years & I dont think theyll stop anytime soon, theyll prob start to make their way out in a few days :)

D

donweed

If they are still in jiffy pellets, put them under a warm white light. Before germinated seeds break soil, they need the light from the red spectrum to grow towards. I just use a cheap 50watt philips agro plant light (found mine at Home Depot). As soon as they break soil, I put them under my regular grow light because that philips agro is HOT and will burn your seedlings.

I actually purchased those just for the first two weeks before i put them unto a stronger light.

I just checked and as of now nothing come out yet. I will wait and move it around tomorrow if no sign of life is given.

MissBotany

MissBotany

I actually purchased those just for the first two weeks before i put them unto a stronger light.

I just checked and as of now nothing come out yet. I will wait and move it around tomorrow if no sign of life is given.

Those philips agro lights get so hot, I wouldn’t recommend them for seedling stage. I had to keep raising the lights up because it would have scorched the seedlings. They started to stretch as a result. I only use it now to germinate seeds in rapid rooters. This batch of seedlings, I accidentally fried one with the philips agro because it grew faster and taller than the others and I didn’t catch it in time. However, it is possible to use them. Just keep close watch on your seedlings and use a temperature gauge. IMO, once they break through the soil,you’d be better with a low heat bright white LED or just put them under your normal grow lights.

Bannacis

Bannacis

The temp you stated of 26-28 c is air temp, you want your jiffy pellets to be a few degrees warmer.
Don't use a high heat light. but use a heating pad under seedling tray. and a low wattage floro.
That heat from the light is drying out the surface where seed resides.
Air temp still needs to be warm just no direct heat on surface of pellets.

D

donweed

The temp you stated of 26-28 c is air temp, you want your jiffy pellets to be a few degrees warmer.
Don't use a high heat light. but use a heating pad under seedling tray. and a low wattage floro.
That heat from the light is drying out the surface where seed resides.
Air temp still needs to be warm just no direct heat on surface of pellets.

Does it cause an issue if humidity temp reaches the 90%-92% ?

D

donweed

I left the box open to let some humidity out. I am at day 3 and nothing out yet.

The fact im the most impatient person out there is not helping out i am sure haha.

Jiffy whitekush
MissBotany

MissBotany

I left the box open to let some humidity out. I am at day 3 and nothing out yet.

The fact im the most impatient person out there is not helping out i am sure haha.
I wouldn’t let the humidity get that high. 60-70% at the most. Get those jiffy pellets to warm up. I let my rapid rooters get warm to the touch. Seeds need to think it is springtime to germinate. I highly recommend rapid rooters next time. Just plop the seed in, pointy side down, tear off some of the rapid rooter and lightly cover the hole. Then you can check it occasionally by removing the covering to see if it germinated. They’re good for impatient people like us :)

D

donweed

Just purchased rapid roosters ! Will compare them on the next batch.

D

donweed

I wouldn’t let the humidity get that high. 60-70% at the most. Get those jiffy pellets to warm up. I let my rapid rooters get warm to the touch. Seeds need to think it is springtime to germinate. I highly recommend rapid rooters next time. Just plop the seed in, pointy side down, tear off some of the rapid rooter and lightly cover the hole. Then you can check it occasionally by removing the covering to see if it germinated. They’re good for impatient people like us :)

Still not out :(

They were planted on 29th at 5:30 PM

We are now 3 days, 3 hours and 36 minutes later and nothing yet.

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Still not out :(

They were planted on 29th at 5:30 PM

We are now 3 days, 3 hours and 36 minutes later and nothing yet.
Dude just do the paper towel method next time, you don’t need to buy something to germinate the seeds. Get a glass of water, put seeds in, stir, let it sit 12-24 hrs, get them out, put paper towel in a bowl, put the seeds in, pour some water to get the paper towel moist, close the lid, check daily. It is that easy. Also with this method you can check if they germinated or not, you could be waiting for a couple of duds to pop right now.

D

donweed

Dude just do the paper towel method next time, you don’t need to buy something to germinate the seeds. Get a glass of water, put seeds in, stir, let it sit 12-24 hrs, get them out, put paper towel in a bowl, put the seeds in, pour some water to get the paper towel moist, close the lid, check daily. It is that easy. Also with this method you can check if they germinated or not, you could be waiting for a couple of duds to pop right now.

Just started 5 white widow seeds using this method ! Lets see where this goes.

Bannacis

Bannacis

I beg to differ on the pointy side down, If you notice most tap roots that come out a seed will curl 180 degrees. So having the pointy end up the root comes out and curls down so when it grows and pops the surface it will pull out of seed husk. Most seeds have a heavy end, by nature (gravity) that end will sink first.
I kid you not...look it up.

Bannacis

Bannacis

I put paper towel in a zip lock bag....unzipped...works great too.

newh

newh

next time soak them in a cup of water or a day you will see the good ones will crack open,then into you jiffys

Top Bottom