Getting Started - Watts Per Seedling In A 4x4x6.5

• Thread starter DC1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DC1

DC1

Im just about to get started and need some opinions. I have the MARS II 1600 that draws 480ish from the wall on veg. I have a 4x4x6.5 tent, and am wondering if 8-10 seedlings will be ok under that light raised as high as it possibly can be. I was planning to lower the light a notch per day on the ratchet until necessary. Ill have them in 1g from the start...until ideally the best four are chosen. Thanks in advance!

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I'll toss my two cents in. As I've read in a number of forums, "start seeds/clones in a small container/seed starter peat pellet." I've been running clones now for about a year since I started growing again. Haven't started a seed in awhile, but I've seen many many situations over the couple decades I've been dabbling. My suggestion, sprout them in a paper towel. Google it. There is process of keeping moist, warm, etc. Boom. Germination will occur. Place your sprouts into a solo cup size container. Seedling friendly medium no hot soils. Ample space for the next few weeks of development. Once their roots have filled that container I say toss em in larger container. As far as the light on the seedlings. If it doesn't have a dimmer I'm thinking a little intense. Maybe at the height your suggesting, but my experience I've always kept young seedlings/clones under a small t8 or t5. Waste of electricity to run big LED for seedlings. Somebody may have better suggestion/experience with this specific situation. If that's all you have then maybe use something to diffuse the light a little. Hope that sheds some light on the subject for you. Pun intended.

Reactions: DC1
scubascrog

scubascrog

480W of led should go about 6 feet above those seedlings.

V

vagiboy1987

Yes they'll be fine. I start almost but not all of my seeds directly in a 5 gallon air pot with equal parts peat moss, sand, and composted manure ( sometimes worm castings on top) under 2 1200 watt LED full spectrums. Get it wet like a prom date and plant directly. Lights up to the ceiling mines 7 or 8 ft I believe. Ive personally never had an issue doing it this way. Sometimes I do a 24 hour soak for my seeds sometimes I don't. Yet to have one not germinate or die afterwards. At about a week to two weeks o drop my lights down to I'd say 16-18 inches above my plants. Still no issue. Now I do use a T5 full spectrum and a generic LED shop light on some of them and always with my clones. As for seeds/seedlings ive never had any level of issues from it.

V

vagiboy1987

Yes they'll be fine. I start almost but not all of my seeds directly in a 5 gallon air pot with equal parts peat moss, sand, and composted manure ( sometimes worm castings on top) under 2 1200 watt LED full spectrums. Get it wet like a prom date and plant directly. Lights up to the ceiling mines 7 or 8 ft I believe. Ive personally never had an issue doing it this way. Sometimes I do a 24 hour soak for my seeds sometimes I don't. Yet to have one not germinate or die afterwards. At about a week to two weeks o drop my lights down to I'd say 16-18 inches above my plants. Still no issue. Now I do use a T5 full spectrum and a generic LED shop light on some of them and always with my clones. As for seeds/seedlings ive never had any level of issues from it.
T5 veg not full spectrum my bad

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Im just about to get started and need some opinions. I have the MARS II 1600 that draws 480ish from the wall on veg. I have a 4x4x6.5 tent, and am wondering if 8-10 seedlings will be ok under that light raised as high as it possibly can be. I was planning to lower the light a notch per day on the ratchet until necessary. Ill have them in 1g from the start...until ideally the best four are chosen. Thanks in advance!
Theyll be fine..you can run a 1000 hid in that tent

DC1

DC1

Theyll be fine..you can run a 1000 hid in that tent

Thanks for the reply. What would be your opinion on the height above 8 (during the first two days) while pulling 480 in that space. (4x4x6.5). Thanks again!

DC1

DC1

I'll toss my two cents in. As I've read in a number of forums, "start seeds/clones in a small container/seed starter peat pellet." I've been running clones now for about a year since I started growing again. Haven't started a seed in awhile, but I've seen many many situations over the couple decades I've been dabbling. My suggestion, sprout them in a paper towel. Google it. There is process of keeping moist, warm, etc. Boom. Germination will occur. Place your sprouts into a solo cup size container. Seedling friendly medium no hot soils. Ample space for the next few weeks of development. Once their roots have filled that container I say toss em in larger container. As far as the light on the seedlings. If it doesn't have a dimmer I'm thinking a little intense. Maybe at the height your suggesting, but my experience I've always kept young seedlings/clones under a small t8 or t5. Waste of electricity to run big LED for seedlings. Somebody may have better suggestion/experience with this specific situation. If that's all you have then maybe use something to diffuse the light a little. Hope that sheds some light on the subject for you. Pun intended.

Ha! Thanks for the info and reply

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Thanks for the reply. What would be your opinion on the height above 8 (during the first two days) while pulling 480 in that space. (4x4x6.5). Thanks again!
I dont understand

gwheels

gwheels

Plant count doesnt matter. At VEG with seedlings put the light high. As they develop move it to 36 inches above tops. When you flip to flower you can go 18 inches or so. Other lights let you get closer. I think that is what you meant.

I veg with very little power. Ideally around 200 watts to veg the 4 x 4 but next flower i am going to have 550 watts in the same tent you have (real watts).

It will be a 315 CMH and 200 watts of vero and maybe a 4k quantum board. I can dial it in to hit 500 watts and really cover the space and the lights are just sitting there waiting.

V

vagiboy1987

Awesome, great to know. Thanks for the reply. So in a 4x4x6.5 pulling 480 above 8 lets say...how high above would you have the light during the first 2 days?
Hang it all the way up the first few days. The thing is plants aren't sissies. They grow in rough environments, they don't need our help doing what they do. Your light at 2 ft from the plant still isn't near the output of the sun. Heat is the issue not the light. If you put your hand over the plant and under the light and you feel noticbly like your sun burning your too close back it off. If not your good honestly

DC1

DC1

On day 4 with the sprouts coming up no problem during day 1...how many inches does everyone think I should have the light now?

Im having an issue with the coco no drying. Temps at canopy have been 70-85 with 60-80% humidity. I havnt sprayed them with water in 36 hrs with the coco still being damp 1/2-1 inch down.

Thoughts and opinions?

Top Bottom