Good Male For Backcrossing

• Thread starter Pineapple207
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pineapple207

Pineapple207

I'm looking for a male that wouldn't be very dominant in it's offspring, but also not terrible on it's own. I've heard certain phenos of northern lights are like this and I know afghans are used, but I'm having trouble finding pure versions of these.

Pineapple207

Pineapple207

I've heard their gear has slipped in recent years but I got the feeling that it was the fem beans that weren't up to par. Do you have experience with those? They were my first choices at one point, till I heard the bad rep.

W

whiterhino82

I can't speak.for their recent work. I grew the Hindu years ago. It was a solid plant, nothing stellar. Didn't do any breeding with it

StoneyPufnstuff

StoneyPufnstuff

Dominance is going to be decided by the individual matchup. A strain that is not dominant when crossed with gene pool X may not necessarily produce similar results when applied to gene pool Y. Because traits are likely controlled by multiple alleles, you must decide what traits you want to move forward with and understand it is give and take. If you just want one certain plant preserved in seed, selfing may be a more valid consideration; once you outcross you really don't know what you will get without growing them out. Finding a male, recessive for the traits you like in your clone, from an IBL line may get your backcross there quickly

Pineapple207

Pineapple207

Thanks for reminding me of this, I know a little about plant breeding but hadnt stopped to consider one male wouldn't make a good candidate for multiple strains. the first project i have is pulling the og traits to the surface in a cross I have. It's a northern lights #2 x an unknown but pure og kush. I haven't flowered it yet but it seems to have the og terpene profile with an enhanced og structure (more branchy than normal but not bushy like the NL father). I think I'm going with something from archive for this one and I'll make s1's as well. The only breeding experience I have is accidental do I'll do both for the experience. I think for the other strains I have I'll just make crosses and ibl for the traits I want instead of backcrossing.

Pineapple207

Pineapple207

And to the Hindu Kush, so the structure was good then? I'm mainly interested in the males having dominant genes for good structure and recessive for terpene and cannabinoid profile.

W

whiterhino82

I liked the structure. Short, Brushy maybe 50% stretch. Had good chuncky buds. It was ideal for my closet space. I can't speak to how well that would transfer in a cross.

StoneyPufnstuff

StoneyPufnstuff

Not that one male may not do it all for you, lots of companies start with one killer. That one male doesn't guarantee that every cross you make will throw a high percentage of the best phenos, whereas certain combos with that male may throw great phenos across the board.

Pineapple207

Pineapple207

I eventually would like to have a few males on deck to do testing with, crossing to multiple strains to see what works well together. My goal is one or two lines that I will focus on for a very long time while also doing tests on the side and exploring other ones.

R

RedTeamGrowz

I'm looking for a male that wouldn't be very dominant in it's offspring, but also not terrible on it's own. I've heard certain phenos of northern lights are like this and I know afghans are used, but I'm having trouble finding pure versions of these.
I'm running 1989nl5 & I'm in Fairfield so if I get a male I'll let you know

Top Bottom