got a Neville's Haze male in preflower

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

I routinely cull males, but I decided to let a nice one grow out a bit.
It is putting out a few anthers at the nodes.
I have been picking them off and rubbing them against (three week flower) pre 98 Bubba Kush.
What are the chances of this yielding seeds?
I have yet to see anything that looks like pollen issuing from these pods.
Got a nevilles haze male in preflower

soserthc1

soserthc1

let them go as long as possible before they appear to open and cut a few main limbs , put in cups , hanging over alum foil in a separate area , collect pollen dab on a limb with fans off .... spray water , let dry put back in room , label limb 100+ beans avg ...... then the fun starts .....

Dunge

Dunge

let them go as long as possible before they appear to open and cut a few main limbs , put in cups , hanging over alum foil in a separate area , collect pollen dab on a limb with fans off .... spray water , let dry put back in room , label limb 100+ beans avg ...... then the fun starts .....

good info soserthc1
Thanks.
I think that the nevilles haze X bubba kush seeds are "in development" status.
Picked a nice male pre-flower and got loads of creamy pollen.
Details visible at 100x.
Transferred with q-tip and I believe that I can visualize seed development.
Shrunken pistols and swelling tissues.
Gotta love it.
I will probably keep doing this as the two engaged flowers continue to develop and more fresh pollen becomes available.
They are at four weeks and I target an eight week harvest.
How long does it take a seed to become viable?

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

I have a sativa (unverified strain ... but its a haze of some sort) and as my first experiment, I am (EVENTUALLY) going to cross it with Bubba I have from Green house seeds .... Let me know how this goes and then grows, I would be interested in the result.

Dunge

Dunge

It worked!
Or at least I have what look like mature seeds.
I pulled them from the top of the nug showing.This Bubba is a sticky girl.
I count 95 with some more to come when things dry out a bit more.
These new seeds are pre 98 Bubba Kush mother hit with a Neville's Haze male.
I will be growing some of these out soon just to see what I see.
Might be all over the place mutant zombies.
DSCN3708

Dunge

Dunge

I should add a word about the father here since the title of this thread makes him the lead character.
After collecting one good pollen rich anther many weeks ago, I was expecting that I might get more opportunities.
Not so.
This plant has no pre-flower indicators.
I could only identify it now as a male by the fact that in my experience, no female plant could get this well developed without showing some persistent sign.
He is a monster growing out of a 3 gallon bag sitting well away in the yard.
Winter is coming, and I predict that he will die where he stands without ever producing another grain of pollen.
We shall see.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Males that don't drop pollen in preflower I FEEL are more stable. No info to back that up. Cut him way back if you want to keep for another round. Aweek in flower may be all it takes to initiate flower in him.

Peace

Dunge

Dunge

Three years have past since we last visited this subject.
The seeds produced plants that a friend grew out to F3.
We call it AK. Great stem structure and tight buds .
Strong frosty flowers.
I crossed her with my Mango (gifted to me years ago by a fellow farmer from Portland).
The result was a great slug of AKMango S1 seeds.
Great results.
The Mango pimped up the flavor and smell, as hoped.
The seeds are vigorous and bud structure is just like the mother.
I have been routinely growing these seeds in my garden and the resultants (quality and yield) are on par with that of my five keepers.
She has a distinctly purple pheno, but is otherwise unremarkable in variety.

So allow me to introduce the AKMango male that will take this line to F2.
20160516 164012

The female participants are indoor. About ten days into flower.

This has been a long process, but I am not the only one who is having success with this line of seeds.
So why not try to stabilize a line off an F2 explosion of traits.

Is that what will happen?

I'll make the seeds and find out.

Dunge

Dunge

I have been bragging on these AKMango seeds that I produced in number last year.
Enough time (grow cycles) has elapsed for me to become ever more convinced that these seeds are the real thing.

There is a student at UAF who was determined to grow his own pot. I have periodically responded to his questions and attempted to make helpful observations. "Get that humidity up" was a mantra, but he just couldn't seem to keep moisture in his room. Turns out all the water was escaping into his ceiling insulation.

A month ago he was very excited to show me a six plant undercurrent. One glance, and I thought "hermy heaven!" So many anthers, everywhere.
Turns out he had yet to learn what a male plant looked like.
Not only that, but he was growing my AKMango!
He had accidentally made a room full of f2 seeds, exactly what I am currently attempting to make, and in greater numbers.

I had planned on making two batches of AKMmago f2 seeds. Now I have three to search through.

I'm intending to stay with the f2 manufacture phase through the summer, but come fall intend to start growing them, and try to figure out how to do all those things involved in pheno selection and line stabilization.

I will read any offered links on the subject.

Dunge

Dunge

I appreciate your interest.
Just looked at my notes and find that, while I grow seeds every cycle, the competition between the lines results in very small numbers of each grown to maturity.
The AKMangos are always good producers.
Several f2 crosses have grown out nicely.
I even have been successful with a few reversals, so s1s of the keepers are in the queue as well.
Unreliable availability of viable pollen has hindered f3 seed production from the few examples grown.
I'm presently hoping that open garage storage will keep pollen viable.
It all takes sooo long.

bicky studs

bicky studs

nice work m8.
no1 answered back then but i think seeds need about 12 weeks to ripen.
will couch ur smoke but ull have nice ripe seeds.
keep us posted

Dunge

Dunge

no the pollenated females should go way longer than if ur growing to smoke.
like 12 weeks.
I have been pollinating at 3-4 weeks and harvesting a the nominal 9 weeks and getting good germination.
That being said, I have failures too.
May try dusting lower flowers and harvesting just the top next time so I can let the seeds mature more.
Thanks.

bicky studs

bicky studs

do the lowers and harvesting the top a good plan. :badboy:
hey im no breeder, im just reading up. will get into some breeding once i get my mums picked out for my staple smoke.

Top Bottom