Green LEDs cause hermies?

• Thread starter HookedonPonics
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Hey guys recently bought a green LED screw in bulb for my garden. I've been running this strain for a few runs and she never threw nanas until this run. The room is totally light proof and stress free along with no temperature swings. Only thing different I've done this run is use my green hornet green LED bulb when doing foliars etc. during lights out. You guys think this is possibly the culprit?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ooo... hmmm... possibly, assuming absolutely no other problems. It was when my previously rock solid genetics began to hermie on me that I finally listened to lilmisslone and finally diagnosed root aphids.

Tank333

Tank333

Root aphids causing hermies?? I have never heard of this happening before... can you explain how you came to this diagnosis?

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

I had the same herm problem when I used a green led to do work around the garden during lights out. I know people who do it without problems but I ditched the bulb and not an issue since

N

noone88

Never leave a green LED (and especially do not use those party green CFL bulbs) on during the night cycle. There has been scientific proof that plants do utilize some parts of the green spectrum. It's enough make some unstable strains go hermaphrodite.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Root aphids causing hermies?? I have never heard of this happening before... can you explain how you came to this diagnosis?
The genetics I was growing were, like I said, ROCK solid, never a herm in anyone's garden ever before. I'd had some issues with the mothers, those issues came inside with the cuts. I had observed what I thought were superfly fungus gnats--turns out that about 3-4 weeks after the flip my problems exploded exponentially, then the herms. One poster here kept saying check for root aphids, check for root aphids, what you're describing sounds like root aphids. I finally got my loupe and did a comparison of the flyers I'd caught--sure as fuckin' SHIT, they were root aphids.

MysteryChild

MysteryChild

Agree on the root aphids hermi issue
Seen it way to many times
Check your roots

reloader

reloader

I had the same herm problem when I used a green led to do work around the garden during lights out. I know people who do it without problems but I ditched the bulb and not an issue since
I never bother my plants during lights out, never. I have a temp probe so I can monitor temp & humidity from outside room & make adjustments if need be. It sounds like the green lights may push an unstable strain into herm. I would stay away from them.

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

I never bother my plants during lights out, never. I have a temp probe so I can monitor temp & humidity from outside room & make adjustments if need be. It sounds like the green lights may push an unstable strain into herm. I would stay away from them.
I learned that lesson! I work a full time job as well as grow so I was trying to get a little extra time in the garden... Not worth it!

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

I came to this diagnosis because I've had over 20 harvests with this strain and never had a single hermie. This specific room has been dialed in for a few years, along with no pests besides the occasional gnat. The only thing I changed this run was I started using the green bulb when I do foliars due to changing schedules at my work( this is a decent sized room so foliars take almost 2 hrs every week of green light) I've had root aphids before, thank god it isn't those little fuckers. I had to chop down 6 lights early due to this issue, just keeping my fingers crossed none of the sacks busted by the time I noticed and pollinate the rest of the garden.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

I came to this diagnosis because I've had over 20 harvests with this strain and never had a single hermie. This specific room has been dialed in for a few years, along with no pests besides the occasional gnat. The only thing I changed this run was I started using the green bulb when I do foliars due to changing schedules at my work( this is a decent sized room so foliars take almost 2 hrs every week of green light) I've had root aphids before, thank god it isn't those little fuckers. I had to chop down 6 lights early due to this issue, just keeping my fingers crossed none of the sacks busted by the time I noticed and pollinate the rest of the garden.

How big we're the sacks by the time you noticed?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Given all that, it's pretty damning evidence. Are you spritzing the girls to prevent pollination?

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

I completely hacked that whole aisle of lights due to this. The sacks weren't more than a week or so old, most were just hardly developing and it's early in flower so I figured why risk it.I only noticed one that had busted open. Well see in a month or so how fortunate I was.

cephalopoda

cephalopoda

excuse my ignorance but how do u use green light for foliars??

darkmatter

darkmatter

I got a green led light that clips on the bill of a hat you could use that it might be less enough to get around. I think they got a growing brand i saw somewhere.You could even clip it on your shoe and do some spraying if you had to get around or hold it like a flash light and not aim it directly at plants.they sell them at Walmart like stores near flashlights or hunting sections.

cephalopoda

cephalopoda

so its meant 2 b a way of using a light without it causing leaf burn then??

A

AlterEgo860

no its ment to not disrupt the dark cycle so u can work during lights out.. been doing this for years.. and ive had hermis.. but its not from the green light lol.. u say a stress free environment .. but unless its hermi genetics.. there is some stress going on.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

It's as stress free as it gets. I have a 5 ton AC with top plenum on 15 air cooled lights, heaters for night time. plenty of air flow. Co2 as usual and an ultrasonic fogger for a humidifier and a Santa Fe dehuey. There is nothing about my environment or feeding regiment that is stressing them I'm positive because Ive changed nothing the past 4 runs. PH and runoff EC were in check, plants looked amazing. I have no solid proof but still discontinued the green LeD from all 5 rooms at the facility.

Top Bottom